New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LBDboater
Advanced Member

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  09:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is everyone's opinion on the left side service door? Is there any district that spec's buses with this? I found the picture on SBC and got to thinking about how I sometimes have trouble monitoring kids getting off through one door, how I would manage 2 doors! I see the idea of one way streets, and how it would save time of preventing kids from crossing, but its definitely not the norm around here! Any thoughts or opinions? Can you spec it on any of the transit/conventional buses, or just the old FS-65?

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  12:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the First Student guy

The only way you can see the student getting on board from the left is the mirror above the stair well. I think it is a bad idea if you have a shooting on board. Boom, dead, right through the back of the seat.

Not to make your topic morbid or anything, but I don't think you could react to a bullet from the passenger side stairwell any better than one from behind you. Hate to break it to ya.

As for whether or not transits had this feature, Richard sent this picture to me a while back of a commercial bus. I don't see that door being used in a school bus application since it's so far back and hard to monitor, but at least it shows they built school bodies with it.

http://buses.zwebpages.com/AmTran/apollogenesis.htm

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  1:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyway, why are they equipped with 2 doors?

I'm not from New York, which is just about the only place you'll find them, but as I understand it, they are used to unload passengers on the left side of the bus on one way streets. This prevents them from having to cross in front of the bus and in front of traffic. You can unload curbside on the left.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  08:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ford 85-16

quote:

I'm not from New York, which is just about the only place you'll find them, but as I understand it, they are used to unload passengers on the left side of the bus on one way streets. This prevents them from having to cross in front of the bus and in front of traffic. You can unload curbside on the left.

You are correct, sir!

And about getting shot because of having a left side door and not seeing somebody enter, that is the STUPIDEST, most MORONIC thing I have EVER heard, period. End of story.

Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  10:14:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen the New York buses with the left door. It is right behind the driver's seat. I can see how they would use them in NYC. Some of the streets are very narrow with cars parked on both sides.

Nothing great has ever been accomplished without enthusiasm!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  11:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blue Bird International with a left service door:
http://flickr.com/photos/22846018@N06/2194308527/

Better Shot:
http://flickr.com/photos/margasacristan/2186248792/

Just found while looking for interesting bus photos.

Edited by - IC RE 1629 on 01/19/2008 11:58:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  12:10:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think a bus with a left side service door must be really weak up front. I wouldnt want to see that thing in an accident.

quote:

I know, but I had to throw that in.

CITIES OF 500,000 OR MORE POPULATION: (32 cities)

Safest 10:
1: San Jose, CA
2: Honolulu, HI
3: El Paso, TX
4: New York, NY
5: Austin, TX
6: San Diego, CA
7: San Antonio, TX
8: Louisville, KY
9: Fort Worth, TX
10: Jacksonville, FL

FS Guy.. NY isnt a bad place, I cant help but feel slightly insulted that you say that about NY. I dont live in NYC but in general NY is a safe place.. or just as dangerous as any other state.

Here is a link: http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm#25

Edited by - Kodie on 01/19/2008 12:13:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  1:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Washington D.C. is more dangerous then NYC. For those who've seen the news lately around here, you know what I'm talking about.
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  3:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html
Updated, St.Louis got knocked out of their spot. Some of the others are quit different also.
Go to Top of Page

disp29
Advanced Member

United States
202 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  4:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Send disp29 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich

quote:

quote:

You are correct, sir!

And about getting shot because of having a left side door and not seeing somebody enter, that is the STUPIDEST, most MORONIC thing I have EVER heard, period. End of story.

WHOA! Thank God for Brutal Honesty!

kEvIn

Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  5:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In a situation where cars are unlikely to stop for the red lights, and a student needs to get to the left side of the street, there are definite advantages to a left-side door if the bus can pull up to the left curb. It's always safer when students don't have to walk in any lanes of traffic.

The structure of the bus isn't altered that much, since the door isn't much wider than the extended body sections used by all manufacturers to accomodate legroom requirements. I'm sure if any weak points are created, they're reinforced.

The driver still has complete control of both doors separately. Either the left or right door can be opened or closed at different times, or both together. A properly-trained driver NEVER has a school bus loading door open without paying attention to the loading zone, and would be able to see anyone boarding or departing the bus through either door.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  6:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich

quote:

quote:

You are correct, sir!

Yeah, doesn't matter which side the door is on when evil-doers strike! Even here in safe Fairfax County Va, it can happen. We had a bus-jacking several years ago...dude boarded the bus, stuck a gun in her ear and told her to DRIVE. She told me the story herself when I was a trainee and she was my trainer.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  7:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's also much easier to hijack an IC with an air door, those things don't stay closed under just their own weight, I'm sure a hijacker could easily pull one open.

Thank God First Student had the sense to install Theft-Mate in all our buses! I could've used the extra pay if they didn't spend all that money, but you can't put a price on Peace of Mind!
Go to Top of Page

Carp_26
Administrator

United States
170 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  5:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to drag up an old topic...but I saw my first Left-Side door today on an new Atlantic Express bus heading up Interstate 71 North through the Columbus Ohio area. This was an IC bus, not something we see everyday here in Ohio. I would imagine the bus has arrived to the dealer by today.
Go to Top of Page

mtok01

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  8:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are they manually operated? If so, how would you open it?

What d'you mean, it's not supposed to be making that noise?
Go to Top of Page

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  5:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for whether or not transits had this feature, Richard sent this picture to me a while back of a commercial bus. I don't see that door being used in a school bus application since it's so far back and hard to monitor, but at least it shows they built school bodies with it.

http://buses.zwebpages.com/AmTran/apollogenesis.htm

I did not think that transits had this either until I saw this photo on flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ankno/3831448983/in/faves-25199843@N08/
That is the only transit I have ever seen to have that, however.

I think it is a good idea for students not to have to cross the street in front of traffic, especially on wide one-way streets where traffic in far lanes might not stop I do think, however, that if the bus is going to be stopping on the left of the road, there should be an additional stop sign on the right side of the bus as that is where cars will be passing from.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000