Ever notice?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  05:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe this is a Massachusetts thing, but I've been seeing a lot of this lately, and I was curious if anyone else has.

When driving on the highway with an 18-wheeler in front of me, I sometimes end up doing a lane change, and pass them. Many occasions as I've gotten passed the truck and put my signal on to return to the right lane, they will flash their high beams at me. At first, it startled me, I thought I had missed something in my blind spot. So I checked and rechecked, and the lane appeared clear. Than I thought they were mad because I was passing them, but since I had not exceeded the speed limit, I am sure that's not it.

Has anyone else encountered this? I've been seeing it more frequently lately.

04ICCE

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  05:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit 04ICCE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
flashing of the lights tells you that it is safe to get in front of him.

Scott
Wakefield Country Day School
Rappahannock county VA
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  05:51:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The appropriate response is to flash your clearance lights to say "thank you." Trouble is, most new buses have the markers connected to the headlight switch.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  06:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've heard that some truckers will flash their clearance lights to tell you that your back end has cleared their front.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  06:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. In the end, my suspicion was that they were telling me it was safe to get in front, so again, thanks for confirming that for me.

Peter - you are correct, the clearance lights are integrated with the headlights.
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  06:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also generally, if you do the truckers the favor of blinking your high beams after they pass you and its clear to pull back in your lane, they will blink their clearance lights as a thank you.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  2:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you cant flash your clearance lights, just hit the hazard switch for a couple or three blinks...serves as a nice thank you.

Just remember that it is still up to YOU to be assured that it is safe to move over...if you run a car off the road it's your problem!

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 01/15/2008 2:16:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  2:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow, normally when I get flashed by someone on the autobahn they're telling me to get out of the left (passing) lane so they can pass me (can't pass on the right). lol.

That makes sense about the trucker flashing you. I didn't know about the clearance lights. In a new truck I drove (International), they have the headlight and clearance light switch. If I remember correctly, the what I call "#2" or middle position is clearance lights and "#3" is where the headlights come on. (Of course, vehicle features vary).
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  4:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, this high beam/flashing clearances thing is standard trucker etiquette that goes WAY back.

Are you in a school bus when you are passing semis? Wow, that is verboten around here....we aren't supposed to pass anything. But it's a kinda moot point anyway...with our buses governed at 55, we can't pass anything even if we wanted to. Well, except maybe broken down vehicles on the shoulder!
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  5:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Occasionally going uphill I can pass a truck without going over 55, although it's more likely I'll get the courtesy flash in a heavy traffic merging situation, or if I have to get into an exit lane.

The flash-to-pass is very common, a lot of times I'll even flash my lights in my car when trucks pass me at night. I've seen several variations on the "Thank you" signal, including flashing clearance lights, 3 blinks of the hazards, or alternating the turn signals (ie move right, after completing the lane change, one flash left, one flash right).

It kind of annoys me that you can't always control the lights that way with buses. I like the older Blue Birds where a clearance light switch was standard. I also like buses without DRLs, I find it's a lot better to turn my headlights off than to flash my brights. Especially in my car, I've accidentally frightened a couple truckers who thought I was warning them someone was in their blind spot.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  7:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a PA thing too. Sometimes I'll put my four ways on for a couple of seconds to say thanks.

I'll show you my air brakes if you show me yours.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  8:31:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nationwide thing, it's been a tradition for a very long time. I do it all the time when driving a bus, and even in my personal car.

Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  8:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC

Yes, this high beam/flashing clearances thing is standard trucker etiquette that goes WAY back.

Are you in a school bus when you are passing semis? Wow, that is verboten around here....we aren't supposed to pass anything. But it's a kinda moot point anyway...with our buses governed at 55, we can't pass anything even if we wanted to. Well, except maybe broken down vehicles on the shoulder!

I wish there was more truck driver etiquette around here. There are many nice truckers who travel New England Highways around MA-90, MA-84, MA-95 and so forth, but a lot of them I guess have loads to deliever and must not care about other drivers on the road.

I've leared to not trust truckers on the highway and I'm always surprised by a nice truck driver. I've learned one thing, NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, enter/exit onto a to a road if a truck is flashing their headlights for your to proceed (Make sure they are actually slowing down). I almost did one time while driving my route a few years back, luckily I realized he was going way to fast, and that his headlights were broken. (So they were flashing randomly).

It's amazing, some truckers are so polite, while others will try to run you off the road.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  10:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 80-RE4

It's amazing, some truckers are so polite, while others will try to run you off the road.

You got that right! It's ashame that the few jerks give us all a bad name...but I suppose it's like that in every industry.
Go to Top of Page

93CarpFord#11
Top Member

USA
1382 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  12:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit 93CarpFord#11's Homepage  Send 93CarpFord#11 an AOL message  Click to see 93CarpFord#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 93CarpFord#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I do it all the time in my personal vehicle. If I have a CB in the vehicle that I'm driving then I'll just let the driver know over the CB.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  12:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for the tips/advice. I'll be sure to thank them from now on in. As soon as I pass and get in front of them, I'll lock up the brakes for a good 5 seconds as a "thank you". Wait, that may not work the best ;)
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  1:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just make sure to lock the brakes using the parking brake...not service...wouldn't want a warning from those pesky brake lights!
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  2:46:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And service brakes have ABS, EWWW.

Buses are not a way of life, they are life
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  04:55:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah that might work Ryan!! You better set that bus in turbo mode.

A nice little additional sign that says TRUCKS STAY 1400 FEET BACK would be awesome, and a nice little camera on the back of my bus to keep them away. Yes, I'm only joking. Some of them are so pushy. They try to scare you by putting their big engine on your tail.

I almost saw a truck tip yesterday because two of them were playing games trying to pass each other. I slowed down and stayed far away from them. I just don't trust them.

If a truck comes flying up to me and I'm in the middle lane (many times I will stay in the middle lane on the hwy, never in the far left, (I will stay in the middle because the far right -cars just don't yield when they are coming on the highway) I find that if I simply and slowly let off the gas pedal (DP/AP) the truck will pass on the left or right even if it's unsafe to do so because they just don't care.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 01/18/2008 05:02:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

guzaldo
Advanced Member

421 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  05:43:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is how old I am - I can remember when truckers were considered the most courtious drivers on the road, another truism falling by the wayside.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000