Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  11:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

My name is Kelly Roher and I am one of the Assistant Editors for School Bus Fleet. I'm currently working on an article for our August issue about advances in school bus driver training.

This morning I spoke with the executive director of the Pupil Transportation Safety Institute about recent innovations in school bus driver training and she mentioned that one innovation is that online courses are becoming more widely used to train drivers as opposed to sending drivers to an actual classroom to receive safety training.

I am wondering if any of you who are bus drivers have used an online course for your training? If so, what company provided the program and/or software? Also, if you have used an online course, how did you like it compared to receiving training in a classroom setting with an actual instructor?

For those of you that are transportation directors, have you provided any online driver training courses for your employees? If so, what are your views on online training? Do you feel it is just as effective as sending your drivers to an actually classroom to receive their training?

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks,
Kelly

busjockey

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  8:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit busjockey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not aware of any online training for bus drivers.
Go to Top of Page

usedtobe

United States
48 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  1:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit usedtobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
can't believe an online course would be as good. I've been in training classes where you are behind the wheel most of the day and that is anexperience you can not get online.
I was interested in knowing how many train a new driver without them driving a bus with kids in it? Of course I mean after you have your permit and all. When I was trained you did half your driving as a cadet with another driver on an actual bus route. Now I hear they are letting them start driving a route without ever being in a bus full of students. I compare this to a coach putting a player in who has never been on the field with a team in practice.
I do not believe you can cut corners on safety at any time.
Go to Top of Page

dweaver

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  08:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen some on-line training courses advertised, but have not tried any of them for the simple reason that it has not been budgetted for and I'm not independently wealthy.

I've seen the demo for the truck drivers simulator from JJKeller and would like to try it but do not have the budget to do it let alone field it. We have over 600 drivers at four stations and the computer investment is prohibitive. My other major concern is that the simulator is set up for tractor trailers not school buses which have different turning and backing issues plus the loading/unloading of students.

My wish would be for a school bus simulator set in city, urban, and rural areas with the primary training objective being to make the driver extensively utilize the mirrors during turning, backing, and loading/unloading. A secondary objective would be practicing safe following distances in all three settings.

The simulator has to accurately make right and left terms and be customizable for different wheel base lengths and types of buses. It also needs to have a selectable "inside" rear view mirror views so the driver can at least practice their mirror scanning techniques and learn to notice student behaviors or turn off the rear view mirror so they can focus on turning and backing techniques. Synchronizing "student audio" to the views in the rear view mirror whould give the driver some experience in driving and monitoring students.

The problem is that nearly any simulator is going to be cost prohibitive since you need a large screen display and three "mirror" screens (left, right, rear) and a customized software program.

I don't know if any of the motor coarch or transit companies have any driving simulator available that could be modified or if any federal programs exist that could provide the funding to develop and offset the cost of fielding such a system. The biggest prolem for any school district's transportation department and even the big contractors is going to be funding.

Bus57 "Big Yellow Beast"

Bus57 "Big Yellow Beast"
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  10:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To usedtobe: Thanks for your feedback. What I've found after talking to people who either have devleoped, or are in the processing of developing online courses for school bus drivers is that the online courses will be used for drivers to fulfill the textbook portion of their training requirement. In other words, in the online course new drivers learn how to load and unload students, emergency procedure protocol, etc. Then, in a separate session they learn aspects of the course that directly relate to school buses (i.e. they have a hands-on session where they learn proper pre- and post-trip inspection procedures, etc.). Also, drivers will not receive certification until they take a driving test as well. But I'm not sure if they take the driving test with kids in the bus.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  10:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your feedback, dweaver.
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  3:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it would be an AWESOME replacement for classroom learning, at least where I work. It would save money, especially if you were to require students to complete it before attending any class. Every library has internet access available for free, right? So that alone would eliminate 1-2 weeks of PAID (yes, sadly, it is, here) classroom training.

I think the biggest benefit would be .....*TA DAAAAA* consistency! I get frustrated when talking and working with new drivers who don't know how to do something simple like install a cam-wrap. Or how far to stop before a RR crossing. And stuff like that. Stuff that we should KNOW like the back of our hands.

If I were in charge of training in my district, after reviewing the program, I would probably welcome it with open arms. Then we could re-assign about half of the 20 (or more) trainers who don't really do anything much anyway.

:) Sam
Go to Top of Page

kscalf

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  2:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit kscalf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I purchased a couple of specific courses: Defensive Driving and Blood Borne Pathogen Training from Mastery Technologies. We use them during initial training, because we don't have local trainers available. They also offer on-line courses. They aren't cheap, but they met the immediate need. We have used them in a group setting and with individuals. I find that training in a group is better because there is more discussion and I think the information is retained better. I prefer "live" trainers with more interaction, but electronic training has its place.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000