Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  08:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sound Off / letter to editor

Sun, Jun. 03, 2007 - Biloxi Sun Herald, MS -

• I am a school bus driver. I put a calibrated thermometer on my bus in the school parking lot, and it registered 130 degrees. After loading the bus and leaving the school, the temperature came down to a "cool" 112 degrees. The only air we have is 21 windows. My complaint is: Can school start late September? Can we have air on our buses? I know the higher ups have air in their offices and vehicles. Wake up, school districts.

source

IC-CEiswhereiwannabe
Advanced Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  3:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahaha!! Air conditioning on school buses? Are you nuts?

THAT will NEVER happen in the northeast at least. Its...un-American!

Why can't U C what I C in IC?
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  3:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True, Only our IC BE buses have AC, for the mentally and physically challenged.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  5:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Both counties around me started putting ac in their buses in 01-02 school year.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  5:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 24 windows and two roof hatches. Two driver fans and a driver window........Doesn't do jack $%^#.

I'll show you my air brakes if you show me yours.
Go to Top of Page

KYKID

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  9:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit KYKID's Homepage  Reply with Quote
white roofs and tinted windows? may help some.
Go to Top of Page

Nell65

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  09:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only time I had a/c on a bus-it was a Astro Van that the district uses to transport for special needs/out of area runs. I agree it's been hot, just drink plenty of fluids. I've lost 7lbs in the last 3 weeks and it's from being in the hot bus, but hey I am not complaining!

Edited by - Nell65 on 06/04/2007 09:07:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

gonzosbus

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  12:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Send gonzosbus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
About April we start telling the staff to drink plenty of fluids. The students know that they can bring water bottles with them on the bus. Our District just turned down a request to put A/C in 2 more of our large buses. We have 3 large buses that have a/c and all of our Sp needs buses have a/c. Depending on how the unit is running it is better to just open the windows. Here in Arizona the inside of the bus can easily reach 150 degrees. We just get used to it. Armando Cuellar, Madison Elementary Sch Dist. #38, Phoenix Arizona
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  12:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OUr buses that do have AC have airconditioners mounted over the rear emergency door, between two panels, that way there is no way to hit your head.
Go to Top of Page

SOS
Advanced Member

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  4:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The original post was from South Mississippi. With a temperature of 112 degrees with the heat index I hate to think of what the actual temp is on that bus. Here in Georgia many districts are putting AC on all buses. Our surrounding counties that have gone to "year around" schedules put AC's on all buses. Sure would be nice, not to mention a heck of a lot healthier. Many of these summer days have I seen my poor little ones faces beet red when they exited the bus in the afternoon. We won't even talk about what the drivers go through about mid August-mid October. Many of us carry small coolers with ice water and small towels to wrap around our necks and drape over our legs or just mop off with. Many times I most likely would have been to the point of heat stroke with out the cold towels. You can bet your sweet butt the offices all have AC and those that fill those positions would not consider riding a bus in the afternoon in the kind of heat we have around here. However, I have to admit the trade off of no to little snow and ice in the winter months is a pretty good benefit.

You gotta Love em' to Carry em'
Go to Top of Page

CPSBUS67

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  5:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this past summer during summer school I also had a thermometer and mine never got below 110 degrees but the only good thing is the company provided free water

GIVE ME A THOMAS AND NO ONE GETS HURT!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

gonzosbus

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  07:12:30 AM  Show Profile  Send gonzosbus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just for the fun of it I went and put a Thermometer in one of our buses. 84 pass Thomas HDX with White roof. The temp in Phoenix yesterday was 108 outside. Inside the bus after 2 hours at 1:00pm it was a nice 157 degrees. Our 3 large buses that have A/C cool pretty good with that large capacity transit compressor, its the Sp Needs buses that have those small automotive compressors that we have trouble with cooling the bus. Nothing like trying to cool a big yellow metal tube in the middle of summer. Thanks, Armando Cuellar, Madison Elem. Sch. Dist. #38, Phoenix Arizona.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000