Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BusBoy 1
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  08:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
I have a 2000 freightshaker with a 5.9ISB eng 545trans In 7 years this bus has only 3 times done this but it will be on a long trip somewhere and the trans temp will go into the red it will spit some fliud out the vent. The drivers will stop put in neutral and run the eng at about 1500 RPMs for a for a little bit the temp comes down and then stays normal the rest of the trip. This Has only happened 3 times in 118,000 miles also all other times it runs normal temp even if you pull it hard on a soft muddy gravel road for a long time. One other thing I Remember is all 3 times this has happened we had a fairly strong side wind! Altough we still had the side wind even when the temp stayed down .
Anyone had this problem or something like that?

ogre

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  10:22:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, We have about 30, 2001 FL, with the 5.9ISB and the AT545. We have been going round and round with FL and Allison. FL said the problem is in the trans. Allison said that FL didn't put a big enough trans. cooler in the radiator. We have spent the money and installed external coolers in addition to the one in the radiator. Yet we still have some trans. overheats. You should feel lucky it only happened three times, this is a contiuing problem with us and no one can seem to give us a straight answer. Anyway if I find a solution or hear anything that could help I will pass it on.

My Two Cents
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  10:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wouldn't be gauge and/or sending unit problem would it? They are for sure overheating?
A good side wind might take away from air going through the cooler(s)?

Orge, did the external coolers help any? If yes, are they big enough?
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  10:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's an expensive fluid, but you might want to try Allison Transynd if you're not already using it. It does actually reduce the trans temp, I have had great success in reducing heat related trans failures with it. I went fron 4 or 5 545 failures a year to one in last two years, and that one was driver related, snapped main shaft. My rebuilder called me to find out what he did wrong and where I went. I'm not sure he believed me when I told my 545's weren't failing anymore!

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

ogre

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  4:34:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used the external cooler recomended by Allison and still have over heat problems. We also spent the money and replaced all the fluid in these transmissions with Tansynd. In fact transynd is the only fluid we use now. Still we have the over heat problem. Our rebuilder is Penn DDA in Phila. Thank goodness they give us a good warrenty, but I am one of two mechanics who take care of 60 busses and 30 maintinance trucks. Changing out a trans. takes up time we dont realy have, except in the summer.

My Two Cents
Go to Top of Page

toolman1988

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  09:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit toolman1988's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From working in a yard with 29 Frieghtliners, i would also check wiring. I've had problems in junction boxes where they go into cab with back up lights, speedometers, brake light on dash for hydraulic brake and tachometers. Usually the male connector is too big and wont fit into the female connector or in a couple places installed in wrong slot
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000