Enter Forum: Management/Operations
 Weather
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kcooper74

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  4:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit kcooper74's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I want to know if I am being foolish. I and a lot of other drivers are concerned when our School doesn't let us out for a snow day when the roads are very icy, except major streets. The problem is, we don't spend alot of time on the major roads, just the side roads. Every school was closed but us and two others. I think it is very unsafe, and it also leaves the children out at the corners waiting for the bus in -1 degree weather, -15 windchill. My husband addressed this with the superintendant, but all he said was that he understood, and agreed, but we are still going to have to venture out again tomorrow with slick side roads and very cold temps. We are even on the news. http://www.kmbc.com Topic was slow start in Liberty

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  6:04:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, I can't believe they would put buses out on the road in such terrible conditions. Here in Northern Virginia, we close for 2 days for an inch of snow.... we are so sheltered. They should really close schools, they would feel terrible if something happened to their students or staff! Better safe than sorry

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  7:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We used to have a superintendant who was the "tough one" and would make us be the only district open in this half of the state. Rarely did he ever close school. Well, one morning, the principal's nephew (a senior at the time) was driving in to school, hit a patch of ice, slid into a telephone pole, and was killed. This was about 4 years ago now. Ever since then, the superintendants have been a lot more sensitive to closing school during bad weather. It's too bad it took a death to make them open their eyes to the dangers of slick icy roads.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  12:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the story says is that it was cold, Ummmm thats typical here in Wisconsin, Minn, Iowa, ect ect. We're used to that. Be it cold, slick whatever else we are loaded for bear and takes a lot of anything to close.

We also have up here kids who wreck AFTER school on slick roads when it starts to snow an hr or so before school ends...Is that the schools fault? or who?? They wreck on the weekends when its slick out, Who's at fault then?

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

william
Top Member

USA
1912 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  8:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Click to see william's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You guys are lucky you get to drive on those snow and ice infested roads. Here in San Diego, all we get to drive on are dry roads drenched only by the golden sun of Kah-lee-forn-ya (The Terminator). Yes, every now and again we do get to see a little rain.

Seriously speaking, though: I don't blame you for not wanting to drive in those conditions, but can you really shut the schools down each time there's a little ice on the highway? How about our friends in Canada? Y'all must experience this all the time during winter.

William
Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  07:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
William -

Speaking as a driver from Massachusetts, in most snow storms that would fall directly during major commuting time (typically 2+ inches or more of snow and depending on what the weather forecasters are saying about the storm), combined with freezing temperatures, yes, the schools should, at the least, do an early dismissal. Even the most cautious of drivers can sometimes get caught off guard. And much to my amazement because of the shear weight of a school bus, they handle lousy in the snow. It can also be even more tricky on secondary city streets because when the plows go through and leaves a mound of snow on the edge of the road, thats all the more further the cars need to park AWAY from the curve making the width of the travel lane even less.

In my city, they can be very cheap about how they handle snow storms. They plow till their blue in the face, but wait until the streets are semi-clear before they put a coat of salt/sand on the road. Until than, its a driving battle ground.

If your property values were some grossly expensive, I'd be out in Kah-lee-fron-ya in a flash! (I'm by no means a snow person).

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  11:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
FCPS used to send the buses out in lots of snow, & sometimes there were problems. but one time a Superintendant kept schools open when they should have been closed, & a diabetic child went into low blood sugar on the bus ride home when they got stuck in traffic. the child survived due to rescue making it in time, but i think the county got sued. anyway, that Superintedant was gone not long after that, & the county started getting cautious about sending the kids to school when it snows. even so, there are still times we have drivers caught out there & not getting home until late @ night.

1Peter 1:3
Go to Top of Page

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  12:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Torrington is like that (describing what Dave said) about 3 years ago, and still Torrington can be the loner for closing school or opening late, 3 years ago, we had a few inches of snow on the road, my bus slide going down hill into a snow bank while passing a bus stop. But with a new order, I have to see how things work. Dave and kcooper74, your not alone!

Tyler Roys Weatherman and International Fan,

http://www.freewebs.com/thectschoolbusyard
Go to Top of Page

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  09:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave - your district and Torrington the only districts in our area to go for a delay! smart move!

Tyler Roys Weatherman and International Fan,

http://www.freewebs.com/thectschoolbusyard
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  09:40:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last district I drove for used to do early dismissals until they implemented a policy of having to reach a parent for K-5 kids before sending them home. This meant many kids would get left behind at the school so they decided to cancel early dismissals and hope that morning cancellations would be the answer. If only the superintendant had gone out on some of the afternoon runs during a storm that brewed up at noon hour and schools were kept open.

JC
Go to Top of Page

bus917

United States
77 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  4:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are not alone,Our school doesn't close for anything and they don't clear the back roads like they should we have been the only school open in our part of the state for years and even when they know a storm was coming they only let the hs/ms out one hour early. then when taking the grade school kids home we were driving in the storm.what sense did that make? and to make matters worse you will have parents calling dispatch yelling that the bus is late and then dispatch is calling you and asking why you are not at such and such place yet. well duh, look at the window
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  2:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In our area, the person that has the final say is the driver. If they do not feel safe going out, going down a specific road, they have the right to refuse. I would think that everwhere this is the case. Even if they say busses are running, you (the driver)comes across something that is unsafe, I am sure you would have the right to refuse? You are the one responsible for your vehicle and cargo. Dispatch can't see what you are up against. The school board can't see either.
But keep in mind, if you constanly refuse while others are going out, is it the roads or the drivers abilities? Either way, even if you do not have the abilities, *you* should be the one to decide! Kinda scarry if you do not have the final say and I would be surprised if that was the case.
With our board, there has not been a case of early dismisal for many years. But they may cancel the busses in the morning if there is a storm forcasted that may interfere with afternoon runs.

The weather we have here in Canada is about the same as you have in the northern states. The weather has no borders :) Although the further north you go in Canada, yes there is more of it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000