Enter Forum: Just For Fun
 amputating the passenger area of a bus?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

raknrev

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  12:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit raknrev's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm considering shortening the passenger area of a bus to leave a flatdeck area for my rafts. I'd like to get rid of the extra weight, expense and risks of towing a trailer every trip. I've seen rafting buses like this in the eastern states and it would be ideal for over 50% of our trips. I've been searching the internet for info on this type of modification but have yet to find anything. My bluebird conventional(as well as most other buses) looks like it's basically put together in sections and that it wouldn't be overly complex to take a few out and reattach the rear section with the necessary adjustments. I would be buying another 72 passenger bus for this project, one with at least one side door. If anyone has any suggestions as to makes that may be better suited and how to go about it or where to look for info that'd be great. Thanks, Ralph.

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  2:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen all makes of buses modified in this way. Pretty much all school buses are built similarly because of federal safety standards. I personally don't think it would any easier or harder with any particular make or model.
Go to Top of Page

raknrev

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  9:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit raknrev's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IC RE 1629 - Thanks. I'm really hoping to find an appropriate bus made by either Thomas or Bluebird. I'm a little more partial to those two makes and they are fairly common in my area. Ideally, a 72 passenger Bluebird - Internatioal DT466 and Allison MT643, one or two side doors in the middle of the bus and a roof hatch.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000