New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr.dave
Advanced Member

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2001 :  10:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having a problem with my elementry runs. It concerns pre-kindergarden children riding the route schoolbus. The children ride under the same rules as any elementry school children. I would become upset by their lack of maturity. However these are four year olds, and I don't think they can understand that they must stay seated at all times,speak in inside voice, or be very careful when crossing the road in frount of the bus. A child is only placed in pre-k in they are dvelopmently delayed due to disability or to cultual or language differances. Should not these children be placed on spec-ed' buses where a monitor can keep tabs on them and routes changed to provide door to door delivery. love dave

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2001 :  11:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Only one of our elementary schools has a PreK,and it's for pretty much everyone.We have a head start that I think is for the devolpment disabled children.They have their own mini bus(says UNICOI COUNTY HEAD START not UNICOI COUNTY SCHOOLS)a Thomas Minotaur I belive.I can understand a 4-year old not understanding instructions.I don't know how Unicoi Elementary buses their students.They probably let them out earlier and have one of the Unicoi Elementary Only buses get them.
Sorry I couldn't help more,tell your Transportation Director about the problem.
Silas J.

97-12 It will outrun your bus.
Posts dedicated to 87-24
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2001 :  2:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In my district the headstart kids ride the same bus as K-12. I always put them in the front seats, so that I can kep an eye on them, and it helps getting them on and off, too. The program is run by another agency. We do, however, run a program called SNIP Special Needs Intervention Program, that is a Pre-K Sp. Ed. program.

Go to Top of Page

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2001 :  2:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What are ortho buses?The Blue Bird I ride only seats six in the front two seats.
Silas J.

97-12 It will outrun your bus.
Posts dedicated to 87-24
Go to Top of Page

mr.dave
Advanced Member

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2001 :  2:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for your replies.Rereading my entry I can see where I sound a bit impatiant with the pre-ks, happy to say not so. their very sweet kids.I fear for their safty is the point I am trying to make.I have spoken to my supivisors about moving single kids to special transport or a general policy change.No luck either way.I will continue to be patient and dilligent in transporting all my kids.-love dave

Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2001 :  2:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ortho buses are handicapped (wheelchair,lift,etc.) buses

Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2001 :  11:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We transport regular and special-ed pre-K students. The regular students ride regular school buses equipped with car seats. We don't normally have them riding with K-5 or older students, because the pre-K students usually have a half-day of school and are transported on their own special run before the older kids. For special-ed, they are placed on special-ed buses with K-5 students but there is an aide.

If it's big and yellow, then it's a school bus!
http://www.geocities.com/jasonsbuspage

Edited by - thomasvista2012 on 12/23/2001 11:49:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

debbie ronnie

2 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  3:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My question is not 4 yr olds. We have monitors with everyone of them. My problem is other drivers taking 2 and 3 yr olds not even school age on regular runs and extra duty trips. Where does the law stand on this?

Go to Top of Page

MamaLoca
Advanced Member

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  3:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit MamaLoca's Homepage  Send MamaLoca an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Question 1: Our Pre-K is Elective and the parents do the transporting.

Question 2: Our Driver's are allowed to bring their children and they must have approved carseats just as in a car. I'm not sure if it is a state rule or a district rule.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
http://www.canandaiguaschools.org/bus/
Go to Top of Page

ridge runner

8 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2002 :  6:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This 3 yr old childs mother was out of town for a week. A bus driver babysits this child during the day for this mother. While the mother was off on a vacation, this driver takes the child on not only her regular run, but also extra trips in county and out of county. Wherever the driver went, the child went. No car seat, no seat belts are on her bus. I may not be very smart, but seems like the liability would be tremendous if something were to happen.

Go to Top of Page

dm9165

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  11:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The distric that I work in transports PreK students as young as 3 years old, but they are transported on special needs buses that can be equipped with car seats. We only transport PreK children that are labelled "at risk" which means that they must have some kind of handicap, whether it is developmental, behavior, language, etc.

However, the district that I live in tranports PreK students on buses with the regular routes. I am very uncomfortable with that as I am well aware of various bus situations. My grandson is transported in this manner--he just turned 4 years old. I look at the PreK program as a learning experience for all of these little guys and I know that a driver with a full load of kids simply can not give the little ones the extra attention that they need to learn bus behavior. School districts really need to look at policies for transporting such young children and create policies that enhance safety and the learning process.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000