Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Dies and black smoke
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DougB

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  07:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit DougB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey there everyone ...I just went and rescued a driver this morning from her bus . We have been having surging problems . I changed the filters and it run good a couple days . This morning she said it was surging and when it surged black smoke would come out of exhaust . This is a 2001 International with a DT 466 E engine and 643 auto .Also noticed blow by when idling ? Please help !!!!!!!!!

mrschoolbus

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  5:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some blow by is normal. Check with manometer and proper restriction.
Any DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)?... Boost Pressure? Fuel Quality? Fuel Pressure? Any air intake restrictions? Air filter? Any other low power complaints.

Edited by - mrschoolbus on 04/24/2006 5:44:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  04:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First guess would be a cam sensor... get codes and post them.
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird62
Top Member

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  06:01:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i second the cam sensor... i've replaced two of them this year and the surging on both buses stopped immediately. Not so sure about the black smoke???
Go to Top of Page

wil

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  07:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit wil's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you checked the fuel ball? We had numerous issues with these.
Located above the pre-filter screen!
Go to Top of Page

DougB

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  3:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit DougB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I used the self test button the bus and I got a 143 and a 144 in active flashes . I replaced the cam sensor and the codes still showed up again . Is this normal ?????I don't have access to a lap top or a pro-link , just started getting into the E engines . thanks
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  07:59:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The codes will not clear themselves, so unless you do it yourself, they will always be there (as with most vehicles, cars, trucks, etc).

Codes will go from Active to Passive on their own when the fault(s) no longer exist, but again they will never "clear" by themselves.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

DougB

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  07:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit DougB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So to clear the codes I either need a laptop or a pro-link ? Maybe not even worry about them ???
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  10:55:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Push the button HOLD it in, Turn key to on (dont start it), Push the throttle pedal 3 times, Let go of button, Turn key off. Then recheck, should have 111 come up.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000