New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  7:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
April 4, 2006 - The Merced Sun-Star - In Firebaugh, two unmarked ICE vans pulled up alongside a school bus on Friday morning around 6:30, said Brian Walker, superintendent of the Dos Palos Oro Loma Joint Unified School District. One van drove in front of the bus, forcing the driver to stop. Agents approached the bus, but the driver, following protocol, refused to open the door. After agents flashed badges and the driver noticed agents were carrying guns, he let them on the bus. They removed three children and put them in a van. The driver, worried about the children, followed the vans to a residence where he witnessed agents handcuffing people who appeared to be the students' parents, said Walker. School officials said they were puzzled by the timing and method of the arrests.

"...we want to share with them that it can be a traumatizing experience for students to be pulled over. We don't want to get in the way of them doing their job, but we think it could have been handled differently."

click for story
alternate source

Edited by - news on 04/07/2006 03:08:07 AM

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  05:58:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet the driver was scared. I sure would have been. I agree the situation could have gone a little differently.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  08:21:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's terrible, impeach bush-i'm serious too
those poor people

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 04/07/2006 08:22:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  09:05:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by news

... We don't want to get in the way of them doing their job, but we think it could have been handled differently."

Perhaps ... it looks like a message was being sent to illegals. Where I have an issue with the illegals situation, is simply that special interests are demanding rights for illegals that are bankrupting medical and welfare services to the point the services can not be adequately provided to our legal citizens. There is a saying that fits here: A fellow at a local bar bought drinks on the house for everyone there while his own family sat home and starved. We must take care of our own first and from that abundance those so willing can then reach out to help take care of others. (jk)

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library
New Hostage Takeover, bus fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Edited by - JK on 04/07/2006 09:06:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

DanLJ
Advanced Member

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  09:27:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by #80AmtranRE4

that's terrible, impeach bush-i'm serious too
those poor people

Yeah, it is terrible. Terrible that these people entered illegally, terrible that they were ordered out, terrible that they stayed, terrible, terrible, terrible.

It's terrible that they were caught, terrible that they were arrested, terrible that the children were picked up so they wouldn't be separated from their parents, terrible, terrible, terrible.

What is this world coming to when people are expected to follow the laws of the land?

As to the suggestion that Bush should be impeached, not yet. Now if that blasted amnesty program gets passed by Congress and signed into law the whole bunch of them should be impeached and/or thrown out of office.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  2:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
UNKMARKED VANS?! Stupid decision on the part of the government. Had someone whipped in front of me in an unmarked van, I would've pushed them out of the way for security purposes. How did that poor driver know (until the badges) whether or not she was being hijacked?!

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  3:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think a few people here need to take a step back and think about this. The children didn't make the decision to come here illegally (or were they born here by illegal parents?) Wherever you stand on the issue is fine however this could have been handled far better for the children involved.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  3:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas86_a

I think a few people here need to take a step back and think about this. The children didn't make the decision to come here illegally (or were they born here by illegal parents?) Wherever you stand on the issue is fine however this could have been handled far better for the children involved.

I tend to somewhat agree and do not know the reason law enforcement did what they did. If I had no indication to what was happening, my impulse would also be to ram the van, alert base and keep going until I did have a clear idea of what was happening. I would think California especially sensitive to potential high-jacking scenarios. (jk)

New Hostage Takeover, bus fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

Go to Top of Page

Sandra (Ennis) Nunn
Top Member

Canada
1180 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  4:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The article did say:
"In all cases, the children were American citizens."

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  5:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sandra, I didn't read the entire article just what was posted on here.

The other issue that had me irritated with this story is what JK mentioned, that is certainly not the way to stop a school bus. I would think they could have easily had the students brought to the office after they arrived in their classrooms and then taken them from there.

Whether a persons position is that we should grant everyone amnesty or that every illegal person should be shipped back and a 15 foot wall built on every inch of open border that is not really the important issue in this story. Don't come knocking on my school bus door, you won't be let in unless someone makes me aware of what is going on.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra (Ennis) Nunn
Top Member

Canada
1180 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  5:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The other issue that had me irritated with this story is what JK mentioned, that is certainly not the way to stop a school bus. I would think they could have easily had the students brought to the office after they arrived in their classrooms and then taken them from there.

Whether a persons position is that we should grant everyone amnesty or that every illegal person should be shipped back and a 15 foot wall built on every inch of open border that is not really the important issue in this story.

thomas86_a,
I agree with you totally!
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

william
Top Member

USA
1912 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  12:20:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see william's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Let's not lose sight of the fact that these children were American citizens. This regime in power has absolutely no respect for the U.S Constitution. This type of thing should make every American uneasy, but the American sheeple continue to support this turkey in the white house. But as H.L Mencken once said, no one ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence of the American people, or words to that effect.

I'm not condoning illegal immigrants, but even if you can by some stretch of the imagination, make the case that these parents have no legal rights because of their status, you sure as hell can't apply the same criterion to their native born children. Then, cutting off and hemming in a school bus in this day and age, is nothing short of stupidity.

It's getting to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if next time you see the president on television, you'll see a bunch of people with up raised arms proclaiming loudly "Heil Bush". I know we're at war, but we're not under martial law, and the president's position as commander-in-chief extends to the armed forces only, not to the American people.

William
Go to Top of Page

DanLJ
Advanced Member

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  04:26:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It naturally goes without saying that the manner in which the bus was stopped was far, far less than satisfactory. My immediate reaction was to ask "why didn't they just wait until they were at school?"

As to the actions of the driver, well I will not criticize or commend. I will though tell what would have happened here, or should I say how our drivers are trained, for such situations.

The driver would have been on the radio broadcasting a pre-arranged code to indicate an emergency involving a "terrorist-type" incident, not in the clear, but a pre-arranged and seemingly innocent phrase. Included would be the location.

At that point several things would start happening at once. 911 would have been called, as would the military authorities and response personnel would have been rolling immediately. The driver would take whatever "evasive" action possible. All other drivers would follow procedures for this type of incident. We've trained for such eventualities and I am confident that the "ICE" officers would have been quickly outnumbered by local assets or that the situation would have been made known to us.

As to the political comments I would say "do we really want to transform these pages into a political discussion group?" Perhaps we should create a political forum. In reality I don't believe that would go over too well and I fervently believe that our jobs, our "mission", our responsibilities transcend the political spectrum.

Having said that I will also add that I can be as stubborn and hard-headed as just about anybody - which is the reason I replied to the "impeach" post. Which is also why I will address the political aspect of this thread again.

Does anybody really believe that a President, any President, reached out and told those officers to conduct themselves in this manner? Does anybody really believe that the operation described, particularly the portion involving the bus, was PLANNED that way?

The injection of the politcal rhetoric saddens me greatly, more so when the rhetoric involves inflammatory statements and/or characterizations such as calling Americans "sheeple"; using veiled references to Nazis and calling for impeachment of the President - a President mind you who wants to LET ILLEGALS STAY. Now does that make sense?

I am no great fan of our sitting President but that doesn't cloud my judgment to the point that my rational thought processes are compromised. The President had nothing to do with this incident, absolutely nothing.

I don't, and won't, condone the actions of these officers. I don't, and won't, support amnesty programs. I don't, and won't, endorse the concept of NAFTA, CAFTA and globalization at the expense of American workers. At the same time I don't, and won't, let such inane political rhetoric go without commenting.

Adios my friends, I'm off on spring break to the hard-hit areas of the Gulf Coast for a week. I;ll look for the political forum when I get back.

Dan
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  07:16:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The article did say:
"In all cases, the children were American citizens."

Sandy"

That's part of the problem! If nothing else changes....automatic citizenship for anyone born here should be ended. It's awful in Florida...illegals fly into Miami and head straight from the airport to Jefferson Memorial Hospital to give birth. And voila, an instant new citizen and another unpaid hospital bill for the U.S. taxpayers to pick up.

As for this case, there's no excuse for what the cops did. Those kids weren't felons! Follow the bus to school and grab 'em there. But that's too tame for the cop mentality! Remember Waco? Federal agents observed David Koresh ripping up and down the road alone in his Firebird for months! They could have grabbed him anytime....but no, they had to do a frontal assault on his compound. I don't know how those responsible for that decision sleep at night....having caused the deaths of all those innocent kids.
Go to Top of Page

william
Top Member

USA
1912 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  1:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Click to see william's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I find it hard to understand how illegal immigrants can fly into Florida and clear customs without having some authorization to enter this country. I live in a border state, and an illegal immigrant is one who enters this country illegally, not by flying into an airport. That is an example of the controversy this problem causes. The only reason this president want these illegal immigrants to stay in this country is to provide a cheap labor pool for his wealthy cronies, while spouting about national security.

William
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  2:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by william

...That is an example of the controversy this problem causes. The only reason this president want these illegal immigrants to stay in this country is to provide a cheap labor pool for his wealthy cronies, while spouting about national security.

I don't necessarily agree with the above. The special interest pressures are substantial right now. That cheap labor is also showing up in construction contracts with public school districts - blatantly obvious and yet the school board turns a blind eye. And a blind eye toward the deliberate hiding of all the illegals kids attending public schools as well.

There is an overwhelming unlawfulness coming from both the private and government sectors. No matter who the president happens to be, was previously, or will be in the future, a lot of dancing seemed the same call of all the days and years involved.

The obvious stands out here:

Illegals are expanding cheap labor replacements to what was previously decent paying jobs for our nation's adult workers.

No work ethic developing in our own nation's children - illegals have taken over many of the tasks so many of America's children once performed for extra change.

No boundaries on the school bus tells a story. No boundaries on our nation borders tells the same story. Imagine, no boundaries on our country's homeowners real estate would soon tell the same story as well.

No boundaries eventually brings no respect for the law. Our prisons are becoming overburdened with criminals that are also illegals in this country.

And social welfare and medical services? What an incredible and fast approaching financial disaster for this country.

It is one of the first founding responsibilities of our government to protect our borders - period.

It is the responsibility of our solvern nation's citizens to take care of their own first, and from that abundance those so choosing to help others with their needs.

Nothing has happened, concerning this issue, that was not predictable, that in opinion and fact was predicted by civil minds and went unheeded.

I see no issue here, political or otherwise, that could not have been resolved before the current events got so far out of control. (jk)

Edited by - JK on 04/08/2006 2:13:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  08:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is not a political forum. I do not believe this is the place to discuss the government's policies and what some might want to call injustices or what have you. What would be appropriate to discuss is how the government handled this situation (which I believe was somewhat poorly, whether or not the President or whomever you'd like to blame had anything to do with it). That's just my opinion though.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  1:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by #80AmtranRE4

... Okay I'll stop- it's just that I've read so much about this -basically it seems that many of my urban courses have many stuff to do with imigration material, which I had no idea that was part of the course but it is- now that i think of it...it's "urban"

I'm glad you're going to drop it after dumping a heavy dose of politics into this thread.

I can find no issue here, political or otherwise, that could not have been resolved before the current events got so far out of control. (jk)

Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  7:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you for the suggestion- I do disagree though, but seeing this isn't a place for politics, and we all know that school bus driving has nothing to do with politics, I will keep my two cents out of this particular topic.

I guess I read into this story differently. Thank you for helping me to understand it more.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 04/09/2006 7:19:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

gonzosbus

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  10:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Send gonzosbus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Today is the National day of protest. Here in Phoenix our bus routes were more than half full as many kids are going to walk in the march scheduled for 1:00pm to our state Capitol. Several school districts here are also going on a half day schedule as not to have problems getting around town. All of our sports trips were cancelled for today. The city is expecting about 100,000 marchers today. As for me, I am at work as are all of my co-workers. I myself feel that our country should have limits on immigration and require registration or someway of keeping track. Im lucky I work and live no where near the downtown area. Thanks, Armando Cuellar, MAdison Elem S.D. #38 Phoenix Arizona.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000