New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  3:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I finally got to start driving my C2 today. Three words to describe my experience: I LOVE IT! Some of the features include:

- 230 hp MBE 906 engine, push button transmission (some of you
guys are better at the names of this stuff)

- 77 passenger

- 100 gallon fuel tank (love this)

- White top

- Gray floor/ seats

- Accoustical ceiling (other drivers tell me I will love this)

- Underneath storage compartments (both sides)

- Webasto heater (may be too late for it now but there's always next winter)

I love the way this bus handles. The engine seems loud at idle, but is very quiet and smooth when driving. The only problem I encountered today was my stop sign not coming out, and that was something minor and was able to be fixed.

These buses have been sitting for about a month waiting to be put in service, and we are having problems with the batteries running down on a couple of them. We've been told, just to be on the safe side, to turn the batteries off every evening. But I think since these things are being operated everyday now, that shouldn't be a problem.

It still amazes me at the view you have out of the front of this bus. My elementary group loved it, the high school kids thinks it's weird looking. I do too, but from a driver's standpoint, I can certainly get past the looks. Wish it had more driver storage space, but due to circumstances when they were ordered, our department didn't have much input into spec'ing these buses.

If I remember to take my digital camera with me one day I will try to get some pics in case you're interested.

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  4:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope to see some pics!
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  4:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a nice bus! What kind of bus were you driving before receiving the C2?
Go to Top of Page

VisionBird

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  5:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit VisionBird's Homepage  Send VisionBird an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I want a c2

-Jacob L.
Proud Rider of Bus 379, a 2004 Thomas Freightliner with Mercedes Engine!
http://www.rpmtunersracing.net
Go to Top of Page

ooms7j

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  08:43:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit ooms7j's Homepage  Click to see ooms7j's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Coming from one who is on it every day I was wondering if you have trouble seeing out the right side of the bus. My driver can't and now I have been moved to the front to watch the right side @ intersections to help her out. Has enyone had this problem or is it just us?

ooms7j

Emergency situations are my responsibility, Drive Safe, ooms7j
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  09:24:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a blind spot but you just have to rock the body. You can see around it. I dove one for a few weeks while we added a new special needs route and rocking the body worked just fine.

She/ He should NOT be relying on anyone but herself for traffic checks.

Go to Top of Page

ooms7j

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  12:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit ooms7j's Homepage  Click to see ooms7j's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I understand but rocking the body doesn't help and our TD and Maint. personel have said that this was not fixable I am a trusted bus monitor and she trusts me enough to do this. I do know where you are comming from. Don't get me wrong I know she sould not rely on me for this, but it is the best solution we have come up with so far.
If anyone has other suggestions please let me know either here or at ooms7j@hotmail.com

Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  2:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ooms7j

Coming from one who is on it every day I was wondering if you have trouble seeing out the right side of the bus. My driver can't and now I have been moved to the front to watch the right side @ intersections to help her out. Has enyone had this problem or is it just us?

ooms7j

Yes, I did have trouble seeing out the right side of the bus. But I've gotten used to it in the two days I have driven it. Depending on how tall or short you are, once you adjust the mirrors to your liking it's really no problem at all.

The mirrors on the C2 can be adjusted so that each mirror can be moved up or down to where ever you need them. Has you driver tried this? Maybe the bottom mirror needs to be moved lower so she can see the ground better along the right side of the bus by the back wheels.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  5:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Subsbd and Jim, out of five buses (two 07s, three 06s), we have also had one 06 bus with the problem of draining down the batteries. For now it just gets jumped when it needs to go out, but I believe it will be going back to the dealer for warranty purposes soon.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  6:23:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the driver cannot see out front or the sides by rocking the body-the driver should be pulled from the bus.

I am not sure how I and my staff is able to do it and your driver can't, but if my driver's said they couldn't see or had to rely on someone else, they would be pulled from the bus immediately.

The driver's comment that she can't see will be used against them in the event of a child being run over or an accident.

In any event- try moving the right side mirror up and the left side up as well. May help.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  7:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have driven the Thomas Saf-T-Liner about 3 or 4 times.

Enough for me to already rate the product.

D or 64%

who cares about the ride, get the stupid mirror out of the way. Re-design the product. Of course, some people like hot peppers, some don't. So our opinions differ. I dislike the Thomas Safe-T-Liner C2 and dislike it even more because of the mirror location.

If the mirror location was different, I would have rated it a C
If the red and ambers stuck out a bit more (more noticeable) I would have rated it a B

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  7:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How much more would you like the swith to stick out? It's forward of the two pilot lights and the switch in front of it is a completely different style of switch.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  8:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a confession to make, I really dislike the Safe-T-Bus Liner (C2)
It looks like a gypsy
Okay, not a gypsy, how do i explain it. There are about 4 or them or 5 of them where I work. They look like they are outcasts, trying to fit in, or snobby buses. I guess this comment from me is going to have people attacking me so don't attack me!!!!

It's hard to explain. Thomas people, just stop making them and keep the buses the way they are okay?
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  04:51:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by #80AmtranRE4

It's hard to explain. Thomas people, just stop making them and keep the buses the way they are okay?

That's unnecessary. It's about time that the school bus industry updates, and Thomas has done the job.
quote:
If the red and ambers stuck out a bit more (more noticeable) I would have rated it a B

Bret thought you meant the control panel lights, but I think you meant the exterior lights. Those Lexan lenses and halogen lights are actually supposed to be 20% brighter than normal lights, and from my experience, they are. But then, you've probably only seen them when they're off... I agree, they do blend in a lot if there is no black painted around them, but when they are turned on, they are noticable enough.
quote:
Also..beware that the traffic coming towards you may not see your signal or 4ways. Since the turn signals are built into the headlamps the signals are very hard to see and in bright sunlight almost undetectable. (Another poor design that needs fixed asap Thomas!!)

Actually, I've felt the other way. I originally thought they would be much less noticeable since they were in the headlamp unit, but I find them to very bright. They easily catch my attention when I'm not even looking towards they bus, much more so than the normal 7" lenses on the front of a transit bus. Perhaps it depends on the angle, however. I've always been a hundred feet or so from the intersection, widening the angle just a bit.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999

Edited by - Thomas Ford 85-16 on 04/05/2006 04:57:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

ooms7j

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  05:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit ooms7j's Homepage  Click to see ooms7j's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
CPCSC_TD

We have tried moving the right side mirror up and the left side up as well. This has not worked, also we are working on a strictly C2 fleet. It would be hard to pull her from this bus and put her in another bus when they would give the choice to the other drivers if they wanted to give up there bus. In a fleet of less than 50 this is hard to do when half are C2 already. Also it is not just the mirror she can't see out the right side of the bus, the seat is too far back and our maint. dept. wont fix this. Don't know why.

Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  05:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the driver can't safely see from her driving position then she should refuse to drive the bus. They will either have to modify the vehicle in question or teach her the proper way to shift around in her seat to see that side of the vehicle. As it is right now she is being irresponsable in asking a student to be her eyes and its only a matter of time before it backfires on her.

JC
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  12:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm- what more can one say.
I agree with JC- The driver should not be driving the bus. If I heard this was going on, let alone our state police, it can be guarenteed the bus would be out of service or given to a driver that could it. if our school attorneys heard me make a statement or one of my driver's make a statement similar, I would be out of a job for allowing the bus on the road and the driver for choosing to drive an unsafe bus.

As far as the headlights- that's somethign I never thought of. Why not put aftermarket or work with Thomas to insatll the turn signals on the hood- like on the 3800 series INternational? I am sure there are some sharp looking ones out there. That would work, wouldn't it?

80AmTran4- Who cares about the ride?
I am pretty sure the child with brittle bone disease or the bus driver's and students we represent. I care about ride quality.
Thomas shoudl keep building them since they are the ones that is catching the industry up to date on tehcnology and style. We certanly don't want to be behind the rest of the automotive indutry again, do we? I don't. much easier to find skilled technicians and people willign to drive them.

My driver's that drive the C2 really like them. Thet actually have a feeling of pride. Guess which driver's wash their buses more routine? That's right- the c2 driver's. They know they are noticed as well as the kids. Pretty neat hwo the kids that ride them comment on how special they notice their bus is and how they are proud it is their bus.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  12:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with the whole decreased visibility of turn signals in the headlamps. Our 1999-2001 AmTran REs are out only buses that have only the signal integrated into the headlights, and they are a lot more difficult to see than our older Thomas ER's and Blue Bird TC2000's. So we fixed this problem with out 2002-present IC RE's that now hav ethe 7 in LED turn lamps on the fornt along with the ones integrated into the headlights. So our buses light up like Christmas trees on the fornt with they are turning!

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

LBDboater
Advanced Member

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  2:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be honest, I love the new C2. Our state specks the area around the ambers and reds to be black. This not only works better for a contrast to see the lights, but also looks better. I think the turn signals work fine, this is the first complaint I have heard. Our C2's headlamps halfway wrap around so you can see them. I dont know, but as far as I'm concerned, most of the industry likes it according to some surveys.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  2:32:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas86_a

How much more would you like the swith to stick out? It's forward of the two pilot lights and the switch in front of it is a completely different style of switch.

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ford 85-16

quote:

That's unnecessary. It's about time that the school bus industry updates, and Thomas has done the job.
quote:

Bret thought you meant the control panel lights, but I think you meant the exterior lights. Those Lexan lenses and halogen lights are actually supposed to be 20% brighter than normal lights, and from my experience, they are. But then, you've probably only seen them when they're off... I agree, they do blend in a lot if there is no black painted around them, but when they are turned on, they are noticable enough.
quote:
Also..beware that the traffic coming towards you may not see your signal or 4ways. Since the turn signals are built into the headlamps the signals are very hard to see and in bright sunlight almost undetectable. (Another poor design that needs fixed asap Thomas!!)

Actually, I've felt the other way. I originally thought they would be much less noticeable since they were in the headlamp unit, but I find them to very bright. They easily catch my attention when I'm not even looking towards they bus, much more so than the normal 7" lenses on the front of a transit bus. Perhaps it depends on the angle, however. I've always been a hundred feet or so from the intersection, widening the angle just a bit.

I didn't realize that thomas86-a was responding to me- but now I do...yeah i was refering to the red and yellow lights on the school bus, not the switches, sorry for the confusion.

personally, i don't like the new way the thomas-c2-safe-t-liner is leading in a new direction, but that's simply my point of view.

i'm happy without one-it's a new product, it's being marketed, maybe it will be the new era of school buses for conventionals, let's hope not (but then again, I prefer transit style buses) so as long as they stay away from me i'm happy

Go to Top of Page

pcbuilder03

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  9:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

i'm happy without one-it's a new product, it's being marketed, maybe it will be the new era of school buses for conventionals, let's hope not (but then again, I prefer transit style buses) so as long as they stay away from me i'm happy

Well I seem to recall Richard saying somewhere that they'd be coming out with a "D2" transit, styled similar to the C2. I think he said that was going to be in 2008. (sorry I know this should stay in the Thomas rumors thread)

There are three kinds of people - those who can count and those who can't.
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  06:21:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know of any after market turn signal kits? Why woudl these be different than a car type turn signals?
I looked at our C2's yesterday, which happened to be sunny, and I didn't see them being difficult to see.

Our warning lights are L.E.D. and they are very bright even in the sun- brighter than the traditioanl 7" round light.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  07:52:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pcbuilder03

quote:

Well I seem to recall Richard saying somewhere that they'd be coming out with a "D2" transit, styled similar to the C2. I think he said that was going to be in 2008. (sorry I know this should stay in the Thomas rumors thread)

what?
a d2 transit? Oh my goodness gracious. Pillar Thomas (he is the founder of Thomas, he is no longer living by the way) is ready to come out of his grave with all of these new inventions.
I think he's okay with the C2, but we don't need any d2's.

How can they change the style of a type D bus, you can't. Someone put a stop to Thomas. Let's go protest, where are they located? Conway? Or Tulsa?
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  08:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if you ever watched video of the C2 when it first came out or not but if you watch carefully you can see the new version of a Thomas rear engine. It pretty much looks like they gave it a C2 roof (more flat) and then gave it the new warning lights. As well as a few other things. I think if they gave the HDX an upgrade to C2 style the result bus would be pretty nice. I could see the name D2 showing up sometime in the future.

#4 you are aware that Tulsa and Conway are both home of IC Corporation plants correct? (I just got home from Conway yesterday, I took a plant tour) Thomas Built Buses is located in High Point North Carolina. If you decided to go there and protest I think you'd be a one man crew. I don't know why you act so surprised that things will change, I don't suggest finding a school bus timeline with photos from at least the 70's until present day; you may pass out or worse!

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  08:50:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
a d2 transit? Oh my goodness gracious. Pillar Thomas (he is the founder of Thomas, he is no longer living by the way) is ready to come out of his grave with all of these new inventions.

WHO?! You need to check your facts before conducting history lessons.

Perley A. Thomas was the founder of Perley A. Thomas Car Works, now Thomas Built Buses. I personally hate to see a family owned company sell out to a coporation however it is vital to the success of the company when you look at all the factors involved in building school buses. Competition is tight and the backing of a truck manufacturer offers a great deal of help. Look at the situation Blue Bird is in, the shoe could have easily been on the other foot. I still have some issues with the C2 but I still appreciate the fact that the industry is being pushed forward, it was defintely long overdue.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

DigitalGimpling
Advanced Member

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  09:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit DigitalGimpling's Homepage  Send DigitalGimpling an AOL message  Send DigitalGimpling an ICQ Message  Click to see DigitalGimpling's MSN Messenger address  Send DigitalGimpling a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have a confession to make, I really dislike the Safe-T-Bus Liner (C2)
It looks like a gypsy
Okay, not a gypsy, how do i explain it. There are about 4 or them or 5 of them where I work. They look like they are outcasts, trying to fit in, or snobby buses. I guess this comment from me is going to have people attacking me so don't attack me!!!!

I think they look stupid as a bucket of worms, personally. I much perfer my flat-nosed bluebird, thanks.

They see me rollin' - They hatin'
Patrollin' and try'n to catch me ridin dirty
tryna catch me ridin dirty
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  09:25:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pcbuilder03

quote:

what?

How can they change the style of a type D bus, you can't. Someone put a stop to Thomas. Let's go protest, where are they located? Conway? Or Tulsa?

dude you are out of control

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  12:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The warning lights on the c2 are not angled- just the panel in front of them.

I have seen c2 without the LED's and I think they are still bright.

AmTran4: I am quit confident that if you protest- it will do nothing. Maybe get you a free hat or keychain. Thomas is keeping their product with the times.

I know you may like the older look of school buses, but times are changing. Have to face it and accept it or find a new industry if you really don't like their buses.

I know you are allowed your opinionon here, but I think we are all aware that you do not like the c2 and if Thomas has a new tranist coming, we are all aware you do not agree with the concept. Unfortunately, we all dictate this industry and the direction it is going with the rest of the automotive industry.

Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  2:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas86_a

quote:

WHO?! You need to check your facts before conducting history lessons.

Perley A. Thomas was the founder of Perley A. Thomas Car Works, now Thomas Built Buses. I personally hate to see a family owned company sell out to a coporation however it is vital to the success of the company when you look at all the factors involved in building school buses. Competition is tight and the backing of a truck manufacturer offers a great deal of help. Look at the situation Blue Bird is in, the shoe could have easily been on the other foot. I still have some issues with the C2 but I still appreciate the fact that the industry is being pushed forward, it was defintely long overdue.

hey i was close
I did read about him on the thomas website i just messed up his name, ooops Perley, Pillar, same thing! I just don't see how they can change the look of a transit, they are just fine.
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  2:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Read my last post. You're gonna look real dumb protesting against a Thomas bus in front of IC factories.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  5:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Schadler

Read my last post. You're gonna look real dumb protesting against a Thomas bus in front of IC factories.

I'm really not going to go protest!! I was just joking.

C'mon can you picture it I'll be a one-person protest!! Honestly, I'm almost done with my business degree, and marketing concentration- it's great that Thomas is innovating these new ideas- someone has to...just doesn't mean that I have to like them!

Thomas is being a risk taker, and more power to the company. I just like the looks of the buses the way they are now. I wouldn't go find another job if I were given a c2, I'd get used to it and drive it

Thomas Built Buses is trying different things- I guess you all know by now, that I prefer the rear engine buses, and guess what, I never thought I'd say this, I even like the Thomas Front Engine buses a lot better than the IC FE buses.

My choices would be

1. Amtran or IC RE
2. Thomas Er (hmm not sure- this is a tie)
3. Thomas Ef (because I've never driven a Thomas Er)

4. Blue Bird All American RE
(all transit style)

5. then whatever else was left in the transit style buses
6. IC-CE
7. Safe-T-Liner C2
8. FS 65
9. Other conventionals

So how about that!! I do know something!

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 04/06/2006 5:43:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  05:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas really took no risks as far as I am concerned. This bus body was around since 98- ABC Freightliner combo. The design of the C2 is much that you have seend emanded in the trucking industry for years and the c2 components are things that have been used in the European bus market for years.

Step back and ask yourself- what really is different about this bus:
Th eonly thing I could come up with was the lights but then again- Carpenters standard warning light in the 80's was not completely round. The less rivets on the body is somethign really only someone in the industry will notice.

The roof is no differnet- Waynes was flat. Bluebirds new bus will have a more flat roof design.
The hood on the c2 is different- but so is the IC's and the Vision.

I think this next two years will be very exciting for the transportation industry.
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  07:13:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AmTran
It is going to happen whether you like it or not.

Experience- meaning doesn't always but usually does; mechanics dislike anything new because it requires training and can make them feel uneasy because they can't have the answer upfront where as once they know the bus they are comfortble working on it. Facts are facts on that.

I am curious though- with your own personal vehicle. Do you prefer somethign newer with modern advances such as seat warmers, GPS, the climate controls for each seat, etc... I ask this because perhaps you are a tradionalists. Maybe you have not allowed yourself the chance to like this because you automatically put a block in your mind without realizing it. I am not trying to play Dr.Phil but if you read your posts- you have to admit you seldom show signs of apporval for anything new. Especially a bus that boasts safety innovation concepts. Just curious.
Go to Top of Page

LBDboater
Advanced Member

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  1:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really... all new buses have issues the first years they come out. So do production cars, boats, planes, software, hardware, kids, etc. Give them some credit for trying. I would love to see some ideas of the D2. I LOVE THE C2, but I love the old FS-65 Freightliners and I like all RE Transit. I for some reason dont really like Front Engines.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  10:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CPCSC_TD

AmTran
It is going to happen whether you like it or not.

Experience- meaning doesn't always but usually does; mechanics dislike anything new because it requires training and can make them feel uneasy because they can't have the answer upfront where as once they know the bus they are comfortble working on it. Facts are facts on that.

I am curious though- with your own personal vehicle. Do you prefer somethign newer with modern advances such as seat warmers, GPS, the climate controls for each seat, etc... I ask this because perhaps you are a tradionalists. Maybe you have not allowed yourself the chance to like this because you automatically put a block in your mind without realizing it. I am not trying to play Dr.Phil but if you read your posts- you have to admit you seldom show signs of apporval for anything new. Especially a bus that boasts safety innovation concepts. Just curious.

Sorry, I didn't see your post until now, so that's why I'm just replying! Well you made some good points. I guess the C2 was just the wierd looking bus out of them, and when I drove it, I wasn't happy with its performance because it wasn't what I was used to, but then, being a spare, I have to get used to that. I drove a few of them, the first one I drove I didn't care for, because I wasn't used to it, and there is a short story behind it. First, I got into the bus -and coulnd't find any controls. I didn't realize that the door had a switch from the outside, didn't know where the emergency brake was, so, once again, I was thrown off. The particular bus (C2) i drove, bus 10101, had some problems (poor steering, it just felt wierd) and when I went into the city, not the best area, I was hammered with snowballs, they were trying to brake the windows and I told them to stop and they said WHAT IS THAT UGLY THING. (it was a bad area) so that was my first experience with the C2. We were all told or it was rumored that the C2 wasn't a bus, that it was a coach like limo (how wrong rumors are-i always wondererd why it had ambers and yellows) but obviously once I drove it, I knew it was a bus. Then i had problems with the electric door, and then the thing would not start. But that was C2 bus #10101.

This was before the C2's were assigned (they weren't going to be assigned to me because I am a spare) and they go by seniority in assigning them.

I didn't get a chance to get used to it.

Then, I got to use C2 bus #200003, totally different. It ran so smooth, same specs as the other one, but this bus was totally opposite in the way it ran. This time I went to CT and people were taking pictures of the bus because they never saw something like it. That time I enjoyed the ride and so didn't the kids.

Since it wasn't my bus I really didn't have the time to check out all of the features. Personally, for me, it would be one of those things that I would have to get used to. For instance, for many years on this forum, I said that front engines should be banned or something like that...I would dread even driving them (I would dread driving an IC-FE, because I have, and don't like them) My favorite type of bus is and always will be, the AmTran or IC rear engine bus (because I started out with them and they are my favorite. When Laidlaw left, we got Thomas buses. I thought to myself, I hate these buses (and I actually hated my Thomas 2006 because it's deranged. I was then given a 2002 Thomas EF and love it. Both the 02 and 06 have about the same specs.

If I was given the choice of a loaded (radio, new everything) IC-RE, Thomas FE or Thomas ER, I'd go for the IC RE. I would love new everything. Maybe I am a traditionlist, but I don't think so. I like new things, but to a point. I didn't take a 2003 IC-FE, I stayed with my 97 AmTran RE because it was an RE, and besides, the FE buses only came with a rattly motor and electric mirrors.

Just to add: The FE buses offered by Thomas are so much more quieter than the IC (AmTran) whatever they were called, I don't think those buses -the 02's said AmTran, maybe they did, I think it said International in the front, AmTran over the door, and American Transportation Corperation in the back, anyways, those motors were SO LOUD, twice as loud as Thomas, but they went the same speed. So Thomas did something that IC couldn't?

Which now I obviously know: Thomas was using the Cats which are quieter, and IC was using the DT466 which are louder. I think

I wish Laidlaw spec'd the buses with am/fm radios! But they didn't.

Hope that answers the question?

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 04/09/2006 10:51:35 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000