Posted - 02/10/2006 :  1:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's a Thomas C2.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  2:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OUCH!! Just looking at the picture, you can't tell which end of the bus that is, front or rear. Reading the article, I assume the front was struck.
Go to Top of Page

Girardin_71
Top Member

Canada
626 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  2:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Girardin_71 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
that c2 didn't hold up too well

thank god there were no children on the school bus.

Girardin/Blue-Bird are my favorite school buses

http://www.g71bdpt.net
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  2:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mik

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/6884952/detail.html

officals said they havent seen one come off the chasis like this before

Gee, hearing that makes me wanna go out and buy some... NOT!

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  2:59:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mik

officals said they havent seen one come off the chasis like this before

Maybe not in Indiana, but that's happened before! There are numerous bus wrecks where the body separates from the chassis... The body mounts can realistically only hold so much, and if that bus was going fast enough, certainly it would be sheared from the chassis. I think the bus actually held up quite well. Notice how not much of the passenger area was affected. A little eerie that you can see the driver seat right up in front, but it doesn't look like any student seats were mangled. Depending on the maximum freeway speed in Indiana, that bus was probably going 70 MPH or so...new buses don't alawys follow the school bus limits. If anything hits the back of anything else at that speed, there is going to be a mess no matter what brand of bus. I think the C2 is still quite crash worthy, esspecially after seeing those tests in the Matthew's Buses video. We can't know how other buses would've held up in that situation, but of course it probably wouldn't have been as well.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  4:39:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I swear I heard somewhere that school bus bodies are DESIGNED to separate from the chassis in severe crashes.

True? Not true?
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  5:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC

I swear I heard somewhere that school bus bodies are DESIGNED to separate from the chassis in severe crashes.

True? Not true?

I had heard that mentioned in a previous accident, possibly the investigation report afterwards.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  6:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe it was the Fox River Grove accident.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  6:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where DID I hear that.......?

It was either in reference to that fatal train/school bus accident in Illinois(?)...where the bus body and chassis were completely separated....

Or it might have been the Thomas Built poster of a '90s Saf-T-liner that hangs in one of the classrooms at our Training Center. The poster shows cutaways of all the safety features they say are on the bus. "Breakaway" body-to-chassis bolts?
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  6:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
OK, to clarify a few points,

1. Accident happened in North Carolina, just west of I77.

2. This is roughly 50-100 miles from High Point. I just glanced at the map and milage legend using spaced out fingers, so the milage is a rough guestimate.

3. The report says the driver may have fallen asleep. My question is "Why would S/He?" They would have been driving for only 2-3 hours, max. Not really enough time to get sleepy. I do realize it could happen, say, if the driver didn't sleep the night before or something.

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

United States
129 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  7:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All conventional buses from Thomas, Blue Bird & Amtran are designed for the body to breakawy from the chassic depending on the crash forces. This way the chassic absorbs the majority of crash forces.

There have been several documented cases where this has occurred. Bus & Truck, Bus & Train, and Bus & Non-movable object.

From the video it looks as there was no failure on the bus body.

The Fox River Grove bus was a Ward/Amtran/IC and the body broke away from the chassic.
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  7:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC RE 1629

OUCH!! Just looking at the picture, you can't tell which end of the bus that is, front or rear. Reading the article, I assume the front was struck.

It was the front. If you watch the video coverage with the article, it shows the fixed rear passenger windows at the other end.

I wonder which school district in Indiana the bus was bound for.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  8:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buskid

quote:

I know Jay mentioned he had a C2 that was supposed to get delivered within the next few days, I sure hope that wasn't his!

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  05:36:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the second C2 that I've heard was wrecked being delievered. A Spotsylvania County C2 was damaged on it's way to Spotsylvania County. According to their Director of Transportation, a large tree branch had snapped back and struck the bus. No injuries, but the C2 didn't fair so well. A few weeks later, they got a bus to replace the damaged one.
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  08:06:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You know that Indiana district won't be getting their new C2 now for a few more weeks. That's scary to see the driver's seat is the most forward part in the crash on that part of the bus, and there was nothing else in front from what I saw in the video.

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  2:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Richard
Funny you say that. When I left work, i had a voicemail form our Thomas dealer. He asked me to call him.

I then checke dout the forum when I got home, clicke don the link and first noticed new bus heading to Indiana. I then saw orth Carolina and clicked on the link. I instantly put my new bus delivery and that and my palms starting sweating. I started almost crying because I continously keep adding special needs routes and that's what I am waiting on. I am the third fastest growing district in the state and just borrowed anothe rbus from another district. I instantly figured it was mine.

I then saw the clip and I didn't order the yellow between the windows however, saw 3 goign to our dealer the other day for Kankakee Valley and it looked as similar specs. I am confident it wans't mine- but it scared me.

Go to Top of Page

Bus9709
Top Member

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  4:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bus9709's Homepage  Click to see Bus9709's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This may sound a bit stupid but, the poor bus. I don't know why but I have a strange personal feeling towards buses. I wouldn't be able to bear reading the story, so I hope the bus driver was ok. Oh well, at least the bus went to bus heaven.
Go to Top of Page

Carpenter119

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  5:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Carpenter119 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looks like the roof welds held up
Go to Top of Page

wolfman01

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  9:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kd4jfd

OK, to clarify a few points,

1. Accident happened in North Carolina, just west of I77.

2. This is roughly 50-100 miles from High Point. I just glanced at the map and milage legend using spaced out fingers, so the milage is a rough guestimate.

3. The report says the driver may have fallen asleep. My question is "Why would S/He?" They would have been driving for only 2-3 hours, max. Not really enough time to get sleepy. I do realize it could happen, say, if the driver didn't sleep the night before or something.

Not really. I remember numerous occasions where I've hit the road, feeling fresh and ready for a full day's drive, only to be fighting severe fatigue seemingly almost immediately after getting on the highway. My worst one was when I left Portland, OR after a family reunion. I got a great nights sleep the night before, and was sent off with a good, but not too heavy breakfast. I lost track of the number of times I stopped before finally getting out of the state, and into higher speed limits. I swear that I could have literally pulled off, got a room, and slept off the entire day. Unfortunately, my timeframe to get back home wouldn't let me. Once I crossed into Idaho, and into 75 mph speed limits, I perked right up. I can remember numerous times were I pulled off for a nap within an hour of leaving the terminal when I used to drive trucks.

It is rather irritating when fatigue sneaks up on you like that.

Proud owner of "ol Smokey", a 1982 Thomas Transitliner ER, bus #40 retired from Texas A&M University. Its currently in the process of being converted for it's second life as an R.V.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  08:21:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carpenter119

Looks like the roof welds held up

It could be that you were making a joke, but if you were serious, most buses these days do not have welds in the roof structure. The roof bows nowadays are continuous from the skirt on the right, bent all the way over to the skirting on the left.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

ooms7j

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  05:35:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit ooms7j's Homepage  Click to see ooms7j's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This Thomas C2 was hedding for my corperation in DeMotte, In.

This was the newest instalation to the Kankakee Valley School Corpertion.

Oops. This is going to cost them.

Emergency situations are my responsibility, Drive Safe, ooms7j
Go to Top of Page

ooms7j

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  08:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit ooms7j's Homepage  Click to see ooms7j's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard

quote:
Originally posted by Buskid

quote:

I know Jay mentioned he had a C2 that was supposed to get delivered within the next few days, I sure hope that wasn't his!

It is offical this was the newest addition to my system The Kankakee Valley School District.

There were to be 6 we were told that our bus will now be the one to be delayed in delivery,

Just think I could have been ridding that bus next week.

Go to Top of Page

mik

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  12:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bodys coming off when hit by a Train I can see , over the years I have noticed Thomas uses fewer and fewer tie down as time goes on , BlueBird had the worst from what I have seen , AmTran / IC tries with both U bolts and clips but their bodys flex as much as the old superiors IMO
Just my observation .
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  6:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh poor Ooms7J. North Newton can always send you a spare. It will be a blue bird, I'm shure you'll love that.

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Edited by - dem84skeeprollinup on 02/13/2006 6:28:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

ooms7j

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  05:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit ooms7j's Homepage  Click to see ooms7j's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dem84skeeprollinup

Oh poor Ooms7J. North Newton can always send you a spare. It will be a blue bird, I'm shure you'll love that.

You've lost your mind KV would never put BB's into service. Just a thing we have.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000