Internet Access
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

largebus
Advanced Member

USA
468 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2001 :  12:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit largebus's Homepage  Send largebus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Out of curiosity how many drivers are accesing the Internet from work? Do you have computers available in your lounges? I would imagine most administratois and office staff have direct access. Do many of you have the Net at home>? Have you found it to be helpful with your career?

"Getting them there is half the battle"

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2001 :  12:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have access at home, and most of my posts are done at home, but some are done from school, I go on my supervisors computer in his office, all of the computers in the school are networked, and you need a username and password to log on. They will give the bus drivers one if they apply for one, but unlike the teachers, and other staff members they have to apply because very few busdrivers need to use a computer at the school.

I personally have one for when I sub in the classroom, I didn't set mine up until late October, when I took that temporary job teaching, attendance and grades are done through the computer and sent straight to the office so that is why I had it.

I am currently at school typing this message, I am driving a trip at 5:00 so I am keeping myself occupied for a while. Yes just what I want to be doing is driving a trip tonight. I drive very few trips, but some of the other drivers were busy so I was talked into this one, (I am such a sucker some times)

Thomas Built Buses- The best buses on the road.
Posts dedicated to 86-A. The best will never be forgoten.
Go to Top of Page

MamaLoca
Advanced Member

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2001 :  3:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit MamaLoca's Homepage  Send MamaLoca an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I access this site from home.
Earlier this year there was talk of getting a computer for the Lounge to be used by our Bus Drivers Association but it most likely won't have internet access or even access to the schools main servers. What would Bus drivers need that for?

I did suggest it though as many of the interschool messages and anouncements are distributed by E-Mail.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
http://www.canandaiguaschools.org/bus/
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2001 :  08:15:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't have the facilities to allw our drivers to access the net from work. I do mine from home, usually. Sometimes I do this from work at lunch as I eat a sandwich, etc.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

largebus
Advanced Member

USA
468 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  08:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit largebus's Homepage  Send largebus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Our district has all computers with access to the district wide network, file server, intranet and internet. All computers access email and the net. I'd imagine our drivers could get it. You can't blame them for monitoring it's usage. I agree-it's mucn easier from home. Like most articles on this site have said, computers are more and more imporant.

"If it's long, wide and high with wheels it's a bus. If it's yellow with black stripes it's a school bus"

Edited by - LARGEBUS on 12/01/2001 08:39:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  6:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I use the computer at the Middle School where I work in the Severe & Profound class, mostly to check intraschool e-mail, but occasionally I get to surf the web. One period a day I go with the boys to science class, and sometimes get to research questions. If I have free time, I'll log onto SBF. Normally I access from home, because the district monitors the network.

Edited by - kd4jfd on 01/30/2002 09:41:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

largebus
Advanced Member

USA
468 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2002 :  6:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit largebus's Homepage  Send largebus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I access this site from home.
Earlier this year there was talk of getting a computer for the Lounge to be used by our Bus Drivers Association but it most likely won't have internet access or even access to the schools main servers. What would Bus drivers need that for?

I did suggest it though as many of the interschool messages and anouncements are distributed by E-Mail.

Most of our interschool/district messages are sent via email. A mailing list for parents or a forum like this on the webpage would be great too.

"They carry your kids-SO LET 'EM THROUGH!!"
Go to Top of Page

busdrivinwoman

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2002 :  05:32:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WE don't have a computer set up for the drivers, although they have mentioned getting one. Most of the drivers where I'm from have their computers at home and surf the internet from there. That brings me to a question though. I also do all my routes from home, which change on regular basis. I use my own time, my own paper and ink. Does anyone else do their route sheets at home and if so do you get reimbursed for it?

safety is number one, ohio school bus driver
Go to Top of Page

MamaLoca
Advanced Member

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2002 :  10:43:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit MamaLoca's Homepage  Send MamaLoca an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That brings me to a question though. I also do all my routes from home, which change on regular basis. I use my own time, my own paper and ink. Does anyone else do their route sheets at home and if so do you get reimbursed for it?

I am amazed at how often we do what needs to be done on our own time. Most of the time it just makes our job easier in the long run.
I wonder just how much time the administrators, and teachers "volunteer" to the school for the good of all. Not to say that they wouldn't or don't. I just feel that at times they nit pick our hours and take for granted the things we do without pay.

Nila

P.S. Oh, that reminds me, I better get started on next months newsletter, which by the way I do on my own time.

http://www.canandaiguaschools.org/bus/busnews.html

Edited by - MamaLoca on 01/26/2002 10:46:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

busdrivinwoman

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2002 :  08:41:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the way it is here to Mamaloca, they nit pick at every hour we get, but never take in account the work we do for free.

safety is number one, ohio school bus driver
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000