Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 crazy stop sign
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

deleon

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  5:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Send deleon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My bus stop sign waves when it gose out. can any one help helpme out?

magstan2

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  6:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe your weldon flasher unit is faulty. Mike
Go to Top of Page

deleon

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  02:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Send deleon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
but we have ELS 8way flasher

DeLeon Anderson
bus 20
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  05:09:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't waste your time magstan1 - deleon is 14 years old and not a driver or mechanic.
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  07:21:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a legit question and even if he is 14 he may still be a passenger on a unsafe bus and we should try to help for his sake and the other passengers.

I have a 96 bluebird that did the same thing intermitantly. After much head scratching I found a short to ground in a wire (crk 73) for the front reds (iirc). Where the upper front body panel (one with lights in it) attached, the body builders had drilled through the wire insulation in a about 10 different places. I kept that piece of wire for the longest hoping a BB rep would stop in and I could tell him how much misery that had dealt me.
The stop sign bulbs are not a common bulb on a school bus, so if either have been replaced with the wrong one it might cause the flip-flop also??

Wish your driver or fleet mechanic luck with this one, as electrical problems seperate the techs from the nut twisters. :-)
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  08:28:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its in the clutch unit of the drive itself. Wore out, Or could be one of the top two micro switches they "feel" off of the cam (to tell it where it is so to speak 90 degrees out or parked.) that is out of adustment. Most of the time its the Plastic clutch though. I think hes talking about it "occilating" back and forth. I have also seen the top nut on the arm itself loose, tighten it up and will take care of it also.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

deleon

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  2:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Send deleon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
magstan1,cisdbusman,bbrid66 thank you for your input.unlike jc theriault who all was got to put someone down.

and p.s. jc theriault i am not 14 i am 16

DeLeon Anderson
bus 20
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  3:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not trying to put down anyone but if he's concerned about the safety of the bus on which he rides then he should call his transportation provider. As for the age issue, change your profile as it still says 14 so you can't blame me for getting it wrong.

JC
Go to Top of Page

amtran110

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  6:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Send amtran110 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Don't waste your time magstan1 - deleon is 14 years old and not a driver or mechanic.

just because we dont drive the bus dose not mean we no nothing about them

All i want is a 2006 IC with air every thing. Just an every day bus fanatic
Go to Top of Page

ThomasER0005
Top Member

USA
576 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  10:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have a right to be on here and post on here, maybe their wanting to learn some information about buses and have a few questions to ask. I don't see no harm in that just as long as they aint like some members of the past and flooded the forums with nonsense.

Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  10:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geez - I already replied in regards to my strongly worded post and some people can't drop the matter. I'll say it again - if he has perceived safety issues with his transportation provider then he should be in touch with the school district's transportation department or the contractor operating a contracted bus.

I've never said he or others like him aren't welcome but lets face it - the mechanics at the garage who look after the bus he rides on know how to repair the buses and his getting the answers to the question won't get his bus fixed as 1). He can't fix the bus himself & 2). Passing the answers onto his bus driver won't get it fixed any faster as most fleet frown on drivers doing their own electrical maintenance.

So I stand by my suggestion that he call whomever is responsable for the school bus he rides on if he feels the bus has a safety defect.

JC
Go to Top of Page

tav1564

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  07:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit tav1564's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the stop sign is a 5-series serial #480380 to 627609 there is a recall to repair this problem. The micro switches are defective and
Specialty Manufacturing will send you a repair module # SMC 5151
free of charge. I have also purchased these modules to repair earlier
model stop sighns. They work quite well. the web address is
www.specmfg.com
Good luck,Tom (Bus Mechanic)
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  09:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're (JC) right about the kid having someone (a parent or concerned adult) call the transportation department about the bus issue, but in his defense, we rarely take those calls with much more than a grain of salt. We found in 90% of those calls, there is an alterior motive, sometimes directed at the driver, sometimes at the school administration.If the kid, or any kid, has a serious question, is curious, or really just has a general interest, I don't see the harm in asking. There have been cases here where it seemed the only purpose of the questioner was to annoy & disrupt the forum, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  4:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree rswboe - I kinda jumped the gun in replying before thinking the whole reason for the curiosity re. the stop sign.

JC
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  10:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tav has it right...change the micro-switches with all the corrosion on them. Then seal up the Specialty Manufacturing unit so water doesn't get in. Make sure the heater is hooked up. Write down the SN# and send them the numbers for reimbersment for all the work. I've done 50+ so far...uggg. Not a bit of help.
Go to Top of Page

ooms7j

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  1:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit ooms7j's Homepage  Click to see ooms7j's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am a 17 year old and a qualified Emergency School bus associate(and yes I have gotten out of classes to go to driver and safty meetings), In the case of an accident where the driver is nonresponsive I am the responsible person for making shure the corperation is notified and that the bus be evacuated. So JC maybe he is in somewhat of that situation> I ask Questions For my driver and school employees all the time so I don't see the harm!!! And for the record I think it is a good thing for a student to know about the bus he rides every day to school!!!!

Emergency situations are my responsibility, Drive Safe, ooms7j
Go to Top of Page

Weldon-Eng

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  06:16:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Weldon-Eng's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is a simple test for a flopping Stop Arm. Remove the wire from the Stop Arm terminal of the flasher (pin 5 on the Weldon 7000). Use a test light or small bulb and connect one end to ground and the other to the Stop Arm output of the flasher. Activate the Red warning lights. The bulb should stay on w/o flashing. If it is flashing check that the left and right Red warnings are flashing. If one is off check for a short or overload on that circuit. If both flash okay and the Stop Arm output is flashing then the flasher is bad. If it only flops when the Stop Arm is connected then the flasher is overloaded, add a relay to power the stop arm.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  09:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or, go to:

www.specmfg.com/products_bus_1html

and select "5-series stop arm campaign." and get it taken care of.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  8:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Mechan1c. The retrofit offered by specialty is the way to go. That is if your trouble is inside the unit.
I have installed several of these under warranty. Most Bluebird dealers carry them instock under $30 I won't be standing out in freezing weather replacing frozen/stuck microswitches ever again.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

wgloff

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  11:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit wgloff's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The plastic clutch is the worn part you will need to replace. Do that retrofit also and you troubles should be gone.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  1:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While on the issue of stop arms, I have a question for you all.

My favorite bus (1629, 2004 IC RE 200), has this issue where the stop arm will go about 9/10 of the way in and it stops. You can hear the motor making that whining (sp?) noise. It sounds as if someone is holding the stop arm and keeping it from going all the way in. Also note that while it is doing this, the strobing lights continue to flash. Why would this be happening?
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  1:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All of our 04 IC RE's have the weird stop arm where they strobe until it SLAMS into the side of the bus, 10 seconds later.

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

Sonnym

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  05:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a safety recall on these arms, the Series 5. Contact Speciality and they will be glad to provide help. You can peruse all recalls of NHTSA.dot.gov.
Have a safe and happy Holiday to all.
Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  10:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My IC CE will put out the back stop sign and then ten seconds later the front one. Then when I close the door (switches on the steering wheel) sometimes the stop signs stay out and all the lights stay lit and sometimes they don't.

Now..the door doesn't want to close sometimes. AARGH!

Nothing great has ever been accomplished without enthusiasm!
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  7:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If the new ic's are anything like the thomas C2's there could be a problem in the software that can cause a delay, or rhe 8ways will not shut off at all. As for the rear stoparm, it will close slower for many reasons. On the IC's at our corp, I think the front stoparm is air powered and the rear is electric powered. This can cause a difference in time of closure.
quote:
Originally posted by mlkdrives41

My IC CE will put out the back stop sign and then ten seconds later the front one. Then when I close the door (switches on the steering wheel) sometimes the stop signs stay out and all the lights stay lit and sometimes they don't.

Now..the door doesn't want to close sometimes. AARGH!

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000