New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sandra (Ennis) Nunn
Top Member

Canada
1180 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  09:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
October 5, 2005 - London Free Press, ON, Canada - HOUGHTON -- Police arrested a Western Ontario school bus driver in front of the public school here last week and charged her with having a blood-alcohol content more than twice the legal limit.

Acting on a tip from the public, Norfolk OPP and the bus line manager were waiting when the bus arrived for afternoon pickup at 2:50 p.m. last Tuesday. No students were aboard.

Click for story

coolbusdriver
Top Member

Canada
1509 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  10:25:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard about that on the news this morning. So glad she was stopped before picking up any kids.
Go to Top of Page

DanLJ
Advanced Member

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  2:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's see now, using the "nobody was hurt" line of reasoning perhaps this driver should be put in rehab, collect disability while not working, and be returned to the job with adequate supervision until such time as she regains her "lost trust."

As it is probably the fault of the dysfunctional school district who won't give their drivers any support the driver should also perhaps consider filing suit against the district for not properly training her, specifically in regards to not being under the influence prior to operating a school bus.

How am I doing JK - am I getting the hang of this yet?
Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  3:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not exactly what I would have in mind for her.

Nothing great has ever been accomplished without enthusiasm!
Go to Top of Page

amtran110

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  3:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Send amtran110 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
if she was over the limit i think she should be fired. people could have goten hert. she needs to go

All i want is a 2006 IC with air every thing. Just an every day bus fanatic
Go to Top of Page

bigbus9807

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  4:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit bigbus9807's Homepage  Reply with Quote
She chose to drink knowing she had to transport children on her bus.I have no sympathy for her at all.She could have killed everyone on her bus and anyone who was unfortunate enough to be on the road with her.Zero tolerance is the only way to deal with someone like that.I'm glad she was arrested ,she should lose her license too.
Go to Top of Page

DanLJ
Advanced Member

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  4:56:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course I agree with all of you about what should be done with this driver.

But . . . I'm just trying to figure out JK's "nobody was injured" reasoning and his blanket "dysfunctional" school district point of view where everything is ultimately the fault of the system.

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  5:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DanLJ

Let's see now, using the "nobody was hurt" line of reasoning perhaps this driver should be put in rehab, collect disability while not working, and be returned to the job with adequate supervision until such time as she regains her "lost trust."

As it is probably the fault of the dysfunctional school district who won't give their drivers any support the driver should also perhaps consider filing suit against the district for not properly training her, specifically in regards to not being under the influence prior to operating a school bus.

Your use of my positions, although flattering, is too sarcastic to take seriously. Regardless, to answer your question, Yes-No, you got the concept, simply miss applied it this time in my opinion. Alcohol abuse in the situation presented in this thread's story, and drug abuse, has no defense from me. Congratulations are in order. You found a school bus driver I would choose not to defend. Can you find others? (jk)

FREE School Bus Safety Ads
Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. Note that the photos area is under revision - The school bus safety ads area is now available. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Edited by - JK on 10/06/2005 06:06:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  7:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
She claims she was drinking the night before and felt normal that day. She was arrested at 2:50 pm and police say she was twice the legal limit. Seems odd to me, either she had a hell of a lot to drink that night or they need to go back and search that bus for empty beer cans!

What a shame.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

DanLJ
Advanced Member

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  3:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JK

quote:

Your use of my positions, although flattering, is too sarcastic to take seriously. Regardless, to answer your question, Yes-No, you got the concept, simply miss applied it this time in my opinion. Alcohol abuse in the situation presented in this thread's story, and drug abuse, has no defense from me. Congratulations are in order. You found a school bus driver I would choose not to defend. Can you find others? (jk)

Of course it was tongue-in-cheek JK, and never meant to be taken seriously. The intent was to vividly illustrate the ludicrous proposition that dismissal of a driver should be tied to the existence of an injury, as you propose in the thread on the most recent child being left on a bus.

As I said in the other thread, retaining an employee until somebody is hurt is neither reasonable or logical.

I am elated that this driver was caught and sincerely hope that the driver was summarily dismissed for cause.
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  4:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hate to say it but DanLJ sounds like one of those co-workers who would run into the managers office to squeal on a driver who activated their turn signal 10 feet short of what is legally required. Ease up a bit, a driver who has made an error, something non-life threatening, can usually be retrained to hold a much higher work ethic than before his/her incident.

JC Theriault
Go to Top of Page

DanLJ
Advanced Member

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  4:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC Theriault

Hate to say it but DanLJ sounds like one of those co-workers who would run into the managers office to squeal on a driver who activated their turn signal 10 feet short of what is legally required. Ease up a bit, a driver who has made an error, something non-life threatening, can usually be retrained to hold a much higher work ethic than before his/her incident.

JC Theriault

Sorry JC, you're wrong. When relatively insignificant and non-threatening things occur then your approach is magnificently sound. I've seen it used successfully many, many times.

The conversation is in the context of the other thread where a special needs child was left on a bus for three hours, strapped into a car-seat and the driver didn't check the bus. Then admitted to not checking the bus even though he knew and understood the reason for checking said bus.

The proposition that this driver should be retained simply because nobody was injured is completely ludicrous. JK set that standard, not me. I am merely illustrating the folly of it.

The absence of injury in no way reflects on the potential for life-threatening injuries. More often than not the absence of injury is due to extraordinarily good luck despite some very serious infractions of safety procedures.

Edited by - DanLJ on 10/06/2005 5:04:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  9:58:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

... I am elated that this driver was caught and sincerely hope that the driver was summarily dismissed for cause.

Yet, another nice try?

Why are you elated? The event in this thread is genuinely dangerous, and sad it was not caught sooner. I find no joy in in a fellow's poor judgment or celebration because of that poor judgment - only measuring the event and dealing with it as best and appropriate for all involved.

A misapplication of a valid concept demonstrates nothing about any event compared to another event. Out ridiculousing the ridiculous does have merit, but simply does not seem to make your attempted point this time, as mentioned by JC Theriault.

Continually attempting to personalize a debate does tend to discredit your position. The good news, in my opinion, is the concept for some situations I presented is now stuck in your head. Your actual good character and logical appreciations can do the rest. Good luck and have a nice day. (jk)

Click Here to find out The #1 reason school bus drivers quit

FREE School Bus Safety Ads
Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. Note that the photos area is under revision - The school bus safety ads area is now available. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Edited by - JK on 10/06/2005 10:03:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  04:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
School bus driver gets house arrest

Wed, June 28, 2006 - London Free Press, Canada - SIMCOE -- A school bus driver who had twice the legal limit of alcohol in her blood was given a conditional jail sentence yesterday of 30 days to be spent under house arrest. Justice Brian Stead granted her a conditional sentence in custody to be served in her rural home. She is not to be outside her residence except to obtain the necessities of life. She was also prohibited from driving for one year.

click for full story

Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  08:50:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought a school bus pulled up to a castle to pick up a little duke or duchess....and the Count came out drunk and got into it with the driver.

Anyhoo, she got what she deserved!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000