fuel mileage and aerodynamics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

veeracer

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  12:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just took my first real trip in my new bus(1990 70 passenger,dt466,643 allison,)round trip was about 500 miles.The top speed is 66mph at around 2500rpm.I cruised at 62mph and ended up getting 9.5 mpg. I was hopeing for a couple more mpg, but that may be unrealistic.Is 9.5 about right?
I was also thinking of trying some aerodynamic mods.All my driving will be on the highway, so wind resistance will be a big factor.I have seen a few busses lately with a wing mounted a the top rear of the bus.The wing looked like a factory option.Does anyone know how they work or if they even work?
I was also wondering if an air dam in the front that would extend down from the bumper a foot or so would help.anybody have any ideas? Thanks

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  12:56:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What you are seeing mounted at the top of the bus in the rear is called an air foil. The purpose of an air foil is to take the air passing down the top of the bus and divert it down the very back of the bus. This helps keep the rear of the bus clean. It is especially helpful when driving down muddy roads or when it is snowing in the winter time. All of our 1998 and newer buses have this option.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Dravo

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  6:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dravo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your mileage is about average. Air dams have been used on cars with good success. I would guess to make one out of a stiff rubber or plastic so if it was bumped it would flex rather than break. A fellow is developing a roof mounted "Ram Wing " for cars and vans. Discussion is at: ram_wing@yahoogroups.com Keep us posted on your progress!
Go to Top of Page

TC3000

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  3:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you could get more by driving a bit slower? (It's said that fuel mileage will drop considerabliy past 55mph)
Go to Top of Page

Gas-Rip-Off.com

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  1:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gas-Rip-Off.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting,

There are advances being made with a vortex wing which reduces wind drag at highway speeds, and many are being tested as we speak, so you may have seen one of these units, it looks like an airplane wing which has a wing which is 12" above roof surface. Pretty interesting study on this concept for greatly improving fuel economy.

Regards, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Dravo

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  6:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dravo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For an engine to perform well it has to breath in and out well. Not all busses are designed with optimum air intake and exhaust in mind. That's why on big old Peterbuilt trucks you'll often see a huge air cleaner outside the the truck where it can gulp in cool air, and two large diameter straight exhaust pipes. Any way you can ease the engines intake and exhaust will help it's performance.(www.dieselinjection.com has a good primer on diesel performance) We are testing air scoops on our rear engine busses at the air intake grille for a ram air effect and at the radiator to help cooling.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000