Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  4:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I forgot about those! We also have those things that look like triangles on top of all of our buses, Im still not sure what they are for. I think they are on all school buses

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  4:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah the single plastic thing near the front of the roof, I always thought that was used as a wind foil....so this is a 2 way antennae?
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  4:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know in the Hampton Roads area Portsmouth city school has them on some of there older buses, and my brother is in charge of the mant dept for Newport News city schools and he says they are used to keep balance of the bus during transit in bad weather(Really windy,rain storms) or while the bus is on the high way going at a higher speed when empty.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  4:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing like that I've ever heard of is that they have rear-mounted air foil that helps keep the back end cleaner.....

edited to add: By "they have..", I mean that such a product exists...I've never seen it in Va.

Edited by - IC on 07/26/2007 4:22:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  4:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I have ridden on some buses in Jefferson County wv, they have a few buses that have the air foil in the back, that really makes the bus look really nice and "hooked up if you will'' lol

Fair fax has some nice specs on their buses as well, does anyone know where you can buy some of the old retired buses from the county? are do they trade them in to the dealer? Please let me know would def be interested in purchasing a few!!!!
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  4:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2006bbvision

Yeah I have ridden on some buses in Jefferson County wv, they have a few buses that have the air foil in the back, that really makes the bus look really nice and "hooked up if you will'' lol

Fair fax has some nice specs on their buses as well, does anyone know where you can buy some of the old retired buses from the county? are do they trade them in to the dealer? Please let me know would def be interested in purchasing a few!!!!

They get rid of the old buses through an auction place in Maryland....Bus801 has posted the name and stuff, but I can't remember...
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  10:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The brush guards are mainly in place to protect that small black screened vent which pops up. They are frequently ripped off by low haning trees and brush, and the fin like structures protect them. Virginia and South Carolina are the only places I've ever seen such roof hatches. They are manufactured by Specialty Manufacturing.

Fairfax has a unique breed of buses in Virginia, as most districts spec durable, yet basic buses. It is not uncommon to find districts in the state who still buy conventional buses with yellow roofs, no window tints, and one roof hatch. Air brakes have become common since the 80s, however some districts only recently started buying buses with automatic transmissions. I think one too many knee replacments has justified that cost.

=
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  08:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bus Freak you are right, Just recently Glouster county schools in SOVA just starting buying buses with air brakes and automatic trannies, with in the last 2 years and most of there 2007 buses have white roofs, I think Franklin county schools and isle of Wright county and Sussex county are to small to spec there buses real nice, because they still buy only a basic bus, Yellow roof, one roof hatch, no tinted windows, no air brakes, and Manuel entrance doors. I guess it just goes by what your budget is.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  08:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what type of buses London is purchasing this year? Are this sticking with IC our Thomas???
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  08:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sorry I mean Loudoun county schools. Type london because I am going there soon and cant stop thinking it!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  1:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can only recall one bus having an air foil on it and it was removed a few years ago. Did you used to go to school there? Just asking because I'm from around that area.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  1:45:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jim,

I used to go to school in that area for only 2 years, back in the mid 90's but I think is was a 1996 Amtran Genesis #100 really nice specd bus, I also used to ride on bus 101 that is used for a spare now so I heard. That is a mid late 90's Thomas safti-liner mvp. what type of buses are the buying these days?
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  2:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Loudoun is going all conventional again possibly. Lately, I've seen alot more CE's an C2's. I'm sure some IC RE's and HDX's have also been purchased.

I went past the Rappahannock County lot today on my way to my dad's cabin. I saw that they purchased a 2008 Blue Bird Vision. Nice looking bus. I hope to get pictures soon.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  2:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW thank's icre1629, It seems as if a lot districts a swithing back to conventional buses, I Guess it cheaper to do that, and from I have gatherd in the past they are more easier to work on from a mant stand point. Where is Rappahannock county located at ?
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  2:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey BusFreak, look at the link I emailed you and you will notice it says NO vents (screens) on the hatches anymore, instead they have to be able to tilt, I guess thats why they have to tilt instead, and now no fins are needed

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  3:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rappahannock County is east of Page Co.

Look here:
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/b/b9/850px-Virginia_counties_and_independent_cities_map.gif

Look between Page County, Fauquier County, etc.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  7:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think I have seen one of Gloucester's new white-top buses recently. Nowadays it is weird to see buses with yellow tops near me as they have all been retired.

2006bbvision, what do you mean by NNPS will be downsizing their buses from the mid-400s to the low 400s? Are they getting rid of more buses than they are buying? Do you know anything about what kind of buses they will be getting this year to take the place of the retired buses?
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  12:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Va bus lover, From my understanding they are not going to be purchasing new buses this year, and will be retiring more then they usual do this summer, do to a lot of buses where never used during the school year, some only being driven 30 miles in in between PMI services. my sources indicated that they will retire some of there 1993 fleet which consist of blue bird ford b-600 and tc-2000 re's but will what they call "DEAD LINING" a number of buses not taking them out of service for good but until they need them. I hope this makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  12:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so they still will operate with a fleet of numbers in the mid 400's
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  12:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so they still will operate with a fleet of numbers in the mid 400's
Go to Top of Page

Bus 801
Advanced Member

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  1:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Bus 801 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Va bus lover, From my understanding they are not going to be purchasing new buses this year, and will be retiring more then they usual do this summer, do to a lot of buses where never used during the school year, some only being driven 30 miles in in between PMI services. my sources indicated that they will retire some of there 1993 fleet which consist of blue bird ford b-600 and tc-2000 re's but will what they call "DEAD LINING" a number of buses not taking them out of service for good but until they need them. I hope this makes sense.

Bring them to Fairfax! We are pulling buses off the Survey line and putting them back in service after they were already blacked out.

Rob
Floater 421

http://community.webshots.com/user/bus801

Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  10:34:09 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
the Vision bus in Va Beach has a cat motor in it is that a good thing or a bad thing not sure of any other details about it just that it is a cat motor. they are getting closer to being released I hope. They look to be all prepped for use they are officially tagged anyway.

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  10:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey got the new Bluebird Vison man is that a sweet bus. i cant believe all the features only thing missing is the air conditioning. it had 739 miles on it when i left the garage the one in front of it had 715 i guess mine went for a little work somewhere.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  12:06:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow so how many new Vison did Va beach buy this year? And what is you guy's fleet total now?
Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdMan

193 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  12:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueBirdMan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Why are there so many lengthy threads about buses in Virginia. How are buses any different in Virginia than any other state. I guess my question is..what's the big deal?!

Bring back the "backing" sign!
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  2:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
we are only getting 10 Vision and 20 sum C2s in the late fall. The highest number in Va Beach will be 719 and most all numbers are activitly working and we have lots of A buses to that have yet made it to full retirement.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  2:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats bsaund09! you're lucky!! Does it ride like a dream?

Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  4:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The vision drove really good but it is going to be a hard habit to break using right hand to flip switches. All door and light switches are to the left including warning light system that will take some getting use to . The steering wheel is a bit thicker then the FS-65 so that will be another new thing it is weird knowing that air bag is in their. I still have not had it all the way up to speed yet but should be able to do that tomorrow on my field trip.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  6:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wow I thought VA buses had to have the warning lights to the right of the driver! I bet its a really nice bus!

Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  9:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
VA specs simply stated that the warning light controlls had to be dash-mounted, and not side panel mounted. I'm guessing that, either the rule has been lifted in the latest state specs, or blue bird has been allowed to interpret that rule, and put the switches on the forward facing part of the switch panel. If you ask me, now that manual doors are becoming a rare find, it's a good move to move the switches to the left.

=
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  7:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The Vision did very good today excellent running on the interstate. Still very hard to get use to switch change and the bulky steering wheel. One thing for sure this Vision has awesome steering radius.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  08:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the visions have the best steering radious, Newport News schools have about 100 or more visions from 2005-2006 a phew 07's I love them.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  08:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks like all but 3 of the 1993 buses from are fleet were taking out service today. Man I am going to miss those tc2000 re and the ford b-600's
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  7:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am really enjoying the new Vision so far everything is A ok . Still it is taking time to get in rhtym with the warning lights on the left side but it will come. So far i have found the bus very driver friendly. By the way have yall read the forums on the C2 makes me glad i didnt wait for one of them we have almost 30 of them coming in Nov.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  07:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
07 Visions in Newport News? I never knew abut them. But it is a shame that those very first BB REs that NN had are now gone.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.93 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000