Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 63

Busdude3
Top Member

USA
1178 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  2:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Busdude3 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I sent all the photos (about 80-some total) to Atlantic School Bus Yard. I got a lot from Virginia Beach (ones I just found - I really wish SOMEONE would have given me directions to their actual bus yards like I asked...:)) along with some Williamsburg-James City buses and many private organizations and a head start's buses.

I took that photo of 551, the new Vision off of Witchduck Road at some auto place on Wednesday - near the Virginia Beach Digital Academy.

He said he'll be posting them in August and September updates.

Edited by - Busdude3 on 07/24/2007 2:07:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  2:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep. Those photos will be posted. Stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

Busdude3
Top Member

USA
1178 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  3:27:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Busdude3 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I must say Virginia has some nice buses - very clean at least. I saw quite a few other buses (while I was sitting in rush hour traffic in D.C. area) from Fairfax, Prince William, and Williams Bus Lines - HDXs and IC FEs.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  9:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know our (fairfax) buses are pretty clean for a CHANGE!! They must have power washed them all at the end of the school year because they are all so clean right now, especially because there is no salt on the roads at this time of the year!!

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  08:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I WAS GOING PAST ONE OF THE MANY LOTS IN RESTON YESTERDAY, AND SAW ALL THE FAIRFAX COUNTY BUSES LOOKING REALLY CLEAN, I ALSO SAW BUS 593 A THOMAS ER WITH A FLORIDA TYPE BUMPER REFLECTOR TAPE ON THE BACK BUMPER? IS THIS SOMETHING NEW FAIR FAX IS DOING ? ARE JUST SOMETHING TO ADD TO A FEW BUSES AS PILOT PROGRAM?
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  1:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its not something new, but when the black reflection tape on our buses begin peeling, the garage replaces it with whatever they have, and Im sure this "Florida Style" tape was sitting on the shelf. There are a bunch of oler buses with it that have it has replacement tape.

Oh and for some reason, I think 593 is an area II 99 AmTran RE, or it may be a 97 AmTran Genesis.

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.

Edited by - IC-RE on 07/25/2007 1:39:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bus 801
Advanced Member

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  2:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Bus 801 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
593 is an Area II bus.

Rob
Floater 421

http://community.webshots.com/user/bus801

Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  3:50:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, 593 is a '99 AmTran RE, currently in the Annandale pyramid. It parks at Holmes MS.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  12:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEY IC RE 1629, CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT ARE THE AIR FOIL LOOKING THINGS ON TOP OF EVERY BUS YOU GUYS HAVE REALLY ARE USED FOR? ARE THEY ANTENNAS? ARE JUST A AIR FOIL?

AND IS FAIR FAX SWITCHING TO CONVENTUAL'S FOR REGULAR ED FOR NOW ON, ARE JUST STAYING WITH RE'S?
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  12:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2006bbvision; Those "air foil looking things" that also look like shark fins are brush covers for our emergency roof hatches. We dont have them on any buses newer than 2004, not sure why, they sure give the bus a unique look!

And we probably arent switching to Conventionals for reg ed for a little while, seeing as we only have 2 Types Cs and they are special ed buses. Im thinking the county may try one or 2 out for reg ed though in the future.

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  1:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2006bbvision, can I offer some advice? Typing in ALL CAPS gives the impression that you are SCREAMING! Try typing with a mix of capital and lower case letters like normal.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  3:43:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ic RE1629 Thank you for the advice, but I am well aware what typing in caps normally indicates, I just was at work and I was using a software system which operates off of a mainframe, which only responds to inputs in caps, so I tend to forget when responding to a email or writing a document to take them off! but once again thanks for the friendly advice.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  3:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC-RE thank you for your the information on the brush covers! But may ask one thing what exactly purpose does it serve, I am having a hard time understanding that.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  4:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The brush guards protect the roof hatches from damage that could be caused by low-hanging trees etc....

Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  4:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2006bbvision

IC-RE thank you for your the information on the brush covers! But may ask one thing what exactly purpose does it serve, I am having a hard time understanding that.

Hey, 2006bb, are you talking about the single white plastic thing near the front of the roof? If so, those are the 2-way radio antennae.

edited to add: I've always heard that FCPS buys RE's for reg-ed for their better visibility (crossing students). SE doesn't cross students...hence the possible return to conventional buses. I don't see reg-ed returning to conventionals unless there is a SEVERE budget crisis that makes the significant extra cost of transits for reg-ed fiscally impossible (and that day may come given the real estate downturn!)

Edited by - IC on 07/26/2007 4:10:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  4:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I forgot about those! We also have those things that look like triangles on top of all of our buses, Im still not sure what they are for. I think they are on all school buses

Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  4:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah the single plastic thing near the front of the roof, I always thought that was used as a wind foil....so this is a 2 way antennae?
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  4:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know in the Hampton Roads area Portsmouth city school has them on some of there older buses, and my brother is in charge of the mant dept for Newport News city schools and he says they are used to keep balance of the bus during transit in bad weather(Really windy,rain storms) or while the bus is on the high way going at a higher speed when empty.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  4:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing like that I've ever heard of is that they have rear-mounted air foil that helps keep the back end cleaner.....

edited to add: By "they have..", I mean that such a product exists...I've never seen it in Va.

Edited by - IC on 07/26/2007 4:22:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  4:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I have ridden on some buses in Jefferson County wv, they have a few buses that have the air foil in the back, that really makes the bus look really nice and "hooked up if you will'' lol

Fair fax has some nice specs on their buses as well, does anyone know where you can buy some of the old retired buses from the county? are do they trade them in to the dealer? Please let me know would def be interested in purchasing a few!!!!
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  4:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah I have ridden on some buses in Jefferson County wv, they have a few buses that have the air foil in the back, that really makes the bus look really nice and "hooked up if you will'' lol

Fair fax has some nice specs on their buses as well, does anyone know where you can buy some of the old retired buses from the county? are do they trade them in to the dealer? Please let me know would def be interested in purchasing a few!!!!

They get rid of the old buses through an auction place in Maryland....Bus801 has posted the name and stuff, but I can't remember...
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  10:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The brush guards are mainly in place to protect that small black screened vent which pops up. They are frequently ripped off by low haning trees and brush, and the fin like structures protect them. Virginia and South Carolina are the only places I've ever seen such roof hatches. They are manufactured by Specialty Manufacturing.

Fairfax has a unique breed of buses in Virginia, as most districts spec durable, yet basic buses. It is not uncommon to find districts in the state who still buy conventional buses with yellow roofs, no window tints, and one roof hatch. Air brakes have become common since the 80s, however some districts only recently started buying buses with automatic transmissions. I think one too many knee replacments has justified that cost.

=
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  08:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bus Freak you are right, Just recently Glouster county schools in SOVA just starting buying buses with air brakes and automatic trannies, with in the last 2 years and most of there 2007 buses have white roofs, I think Franklin county schools and isle of Wright county and Sussex county are to small to spec there buses real nice, because they still buy only a basic bus, Yellow roof, one roof hatch, no tinted windows, no air brakes, and Manuel entrance doors. I guess it just goes by what your budget is.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  08:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what type of buses London is purchasing this year? Are this sticking with IC our Thomas???
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  08:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sorry I mean Loudoun county schools. Type london because I am going there soon and cant stop thinking it!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  1:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can only recall one bus having an air foil on it and it was removed a few years ago. Did you used to go to school there? Just asking because I'm from around that area.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  1:45:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jim,

I used to go to school in that area for only 2 years, back in the mid 90's but I think is was a 1996 Amtran Genesis #100 really nice specd bus, I also used to ride on bus 101 that is used for a spare now so I heard. That is a mid late 90's Thomas safti-liner mvp. what type of buses are the buying these days?
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  2:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Loudoun is going all conventional again possibly. Lately, I've seen alot more CE's an C2's. I'm sure some IC RE's and HDX's have also been purchased.

I went past the Rappahannock County lot today on my way to my dad's cabin. I saw that they purchased a 2008 Blue Bird Vision. Nice looking bus. I hope to get pictures soon.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  2:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW thank's icre1629, It seems as if a lot districts a swithing back to conventional buses, I Guess it cheaper to do that, and from I have gatherd in the past they are more easier to work on from a mant stand point. Where is Rappahannock county located at ?
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  2:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey BusFreak, look at the link I emailed you and you will notice it says NO vents (screens) on the hatches anymore, instead they have to be able to tilt, I guess thats why they have to tilt instead, and now no fins are needed

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  3:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rappahannock County is east of Page Co.

Look here:
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/b/b9/850px-Virginia_counties_and_independent_cities_map.gif

Look between Page County, Fauquier County, etc.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  7:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think I have seen one of Gloucester's new white-top buses recently. Nowadays it is weird to see buses with yellow tops near me as they have all been retired.

2006bbvision, what do you mean by NNPS will be downsizing their buses from the mid-400s to the low 400s? Are they getting rid of more buses than they are buying? Do you know anything about what kind of buses they will be getting this year to take the place of the retired buses?
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  12:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Va bus lover, From my understanding they are not going to be purchasing new buses this year, and will be retiring more then they usual do this summer, do to a lot of buses where never used during the school year, some only being driven 30 miles in in between PMI services. my sources indicated that they will retire some of there 1993 fleet which consist of blue bird ford b-600 and tc-2000 re's but will what they call "DEAD LINING" a number of buses not taking them out of service for good but until they need them. I hope this makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  12:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so they still will operate with a fleet of numbers in the mid 400's
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  12:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so they still will operate with a fleet of numbers in the mid 400's
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2013 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 6.57 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000