Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  2:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is a beautiful looking CE! (both of them pictured) I just don't like how the driver mirror is suspended like that.

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  3:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you talking about that driver's side mirror? I think it looks alright, but I would like to see what a CE with that mirror in another position would look like.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  8:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know you can spec the CE to have the driver side mirror like we have on our FE and RE buses. I have seen them like ours more than I have ones like the Loudoun CE's. They look fine, just upside down from what I am used to.

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  05:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC-RE, this may be off topic, but is your e-mail not working? I sent you something the other day, I don't know if you got it.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  5:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would like to see Newport News try rear stop arms in addition to front ones. It might cut down on red light running.

Some of our buses are testing a LED sign on the back door that lights up and says "Preparing to stop" when the yellows are turned on and says "STOP" in big red letters when the bus stops. I never seen one work but I think it is cool.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  6:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13182

Go check out buses being converted to bio diesel!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  6:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen ad's for that device in School Bus Fleet and School Transportation News magazine. It seems like it would be a helpful device.

If I'm correct, I believe one Fairfax bus has that on it.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  6:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool article on the Biodiesel. I wonder if FCPS would consider trying it. I know we tried CNG back in the early 90's, but that didn't go so well. That's another story though.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  6:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It might cause more districts to consider it, since it seems like it is easy to do. I wonder what it costs to do that.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  6:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems like a smart and easy thing to do. I really hope others across the country follow suit.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  7:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think they will try biodiesel. It would cause too much trouble for cafeteria personnel.....you see, the exhaust from biodiesel smells like french fries (some say popcorn). So in the morning as the buses are in line to unload....instead of choking on the stench of regular diesel exhaust....the bus would fill with the smell of french fries. Have you ever seen several hundred students storm the cafeteria at 7:00 am demanding an order of fries?

Well, it wouldn't be pretty!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  05:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, That would be interesting no doubt. I really hope we try it. Remember that study that was released awhile ago? The one where they determined that FCPS buses don't let off excessive amounts of dangerous particulates? I don't believe a word they say in that report. Many of buses blow out smoke and exaust of every possible color.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  09:54:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
But, from what I read in the article that there is very little odor from the exhaust of biodiesel. If that is true then people will not even notice the bus is running on it, and the kids will not run into the school asking for fries or popcorn.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  1:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure IC was just making a joke, like he often does.
Go to Top of Page

VAdriver

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  7:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC RE 1629.....I haven't been on the site for several weeks and just saw your posting about LCPS' two new IC CE's. I can tell you that we have a LOT of the new IC CE's on the road. We have two at the Lovettsville Fire & Rescue where I park and I know that that there are at least 20 on the road in in the western part of the county. Most of them are parked at our lot in Purcellville.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  7:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wow, so these CE's seem to be a real hit here in Virginia, I was just shocked to see Loudoun order ANY conventional buses because we haven't even thought about them here in Fairfax as far as I know. Have you heard whether or not the Thomas C2's are favored, or are the CE's preferred?

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  02:38:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw the one at the Lovettsville FD. Are you talking about that lot on Colonial Hwy in Purcellville? I haven't been by that lot in quite awhile. Next time I'm in Loudoun I intend to visit the Lovettsville lot, the Purcellville lot and also capture about 20 type A buses that are parked at Heritage High in Leesburg. I am guessing I could almost add a 100 new Loudoun bus pics to my collection. I need to get out there!
Go to Top of Page

VAdriver

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  2:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1629.......I personally prefer the IC's. I drive a 2001 IC RE extended. It is also parked out at the Lovettsville lot. There are now of the CE's at Lovettsville, as well as 4 or 5 that park at home. The Purcellville lot is the one on Colonial Highway, across the street from the school. The one interesting thing about the CE's Loudoun has is that they did away with the Child Checkmate button in the back of the bus. In order to shut off the bus without all the alarms and horn going off you have the walk to the back of the bus and open the rear door and shut it. I actually like the dual stop arms, although I could probably paint my bus neon green with purple spots and people would still run my lights. I'd much rather have a new RE bus, but to get the air conditioning I'd drive the CE. Unfortunately, since I drive a fairly new bus I'm sure I'm far down on the waiting list.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  3:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do they determine upgrades in Loudoun?
Go to Top of Page

VAdriver

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  6:31:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first determination is the age and condition of the bus. If two buses are of the same age and condition, the driver with more seniority determines who gets the bus.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  02:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. Have any other new buses come this year? Any new IC RE's or Thomas HDX's?
Go to Top of Page

poor_driver

162 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  5:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kinda off the subject but.....

While taking several trips across the state i notice that there are some beautiful people that drives a school bus...especially in those big districts...one in particular...chesterfield....mannnnnnnnn! yall need to take a look!..i'm pretty sure there're more out there i just go through there alot.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  5:57:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nahhh man.....the HOTTEST babes drive for Fairfax!
Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  7:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
bio-diesel costs more to use than reg diesel- might be better for engine & envirorment, but costs are too high for FCPS (take the lowest bid!). article not too long ago in W Post about the subject, Arlington runs on it, said they could afford to cos their fleet was small.

1Peter 1:3
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  02:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, IC!
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  8:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LARGE UPDATE http://community.webshots.com/user/iccorpre2
There are several FCPS buses, and a bunch of Loudoun Buses.

Go to Top of Page

wantamustang94

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  10:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit wantamustang94's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, I live in Mount Airy, N.C., just across theborder from the Blue Ridge area of Virginia, and the buses in that part of Virginia are quite old!!I go to school surplus auctions and buy all the desks, chairs, and yes, BUSES! I have 41 old buses in a storage yard 50 miles south of here in Lexington, N.C. I use them to store furniture. Last year, Grayson County, Va. auctioned off 5 buses, 2 1981 Ford conventionals with Thomas,and 3 1982-83 Blue Birds with Internationals (conventionals) They brought a little high for gas buses, a junk yard in this area goes to all the sales and runs them and police cars quite high!! Last October Carroll County, Va auctioned off 2 1988 Ford Diesels-Thomas convention als. Grayson's were gas. Carroll County must be strapped for cash...Grayson's were complete and running, yet Carroll took off the entire front ends, and stripped the motors of the alternators, starters, etc. The outer two rear tires were even missing!! Half the windows were taken out of another bus!! And most of the seats were missing the seat covers. The same junkyard bought them at a princely sum of $900.00 each!! the same he paid for running buses over in Grayson. Here in North Carolina, the state, not the county, specs all the buses and buys them and doles them out to the counties on a as needed basis. All our buses down here have had automatics since 1977, and diesels since 1984. The state prices and sells all the used buses in each county to be retired each summer. The prices are a little high. Right now, Surry Co,NC has a few 1986 Thomas-Ford conventional Diesels that they want an average of $2,200.00 for!! I've seen running ones in Virginia here and there bring as little as 300.00 for gas and 750.00 for diesel! I have a Virginia bus in my collection. It is a 1980 Ford-Wayne conventional. I bought it from a Baptist Church here in N.C. Under the blacked out area on the sides it says "Fairfax County Schools" and I even found an old registration card in the glove box from when it was used in Fairfax! I used to live in Gettysburg, Pa. before I came back down here, and I had 18 buses up there which I had to sell off when I moved, and quite a few were from Northern Va., which was only a 1 hour drive (to Leesburg) from my home up there. I had a 1977 Int'l-Carpenter from Fauquier Co, another IH-Carp. from Spotsylvania,(1978), and a 1980 Ford-Carp from Warren Co.,a 1977 Thomas-Ford from the Manassas Park City schools, and another '77 Thomas Ford from Prince William Co., and a 1969 IH-Carp, from Stafford Co, all of which were bought back in the early '90's at school auctions down there.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  05:56:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Admin has been notified. Action will be taken.
Go to Top of Page

scottyd
Advanced Member

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  08:06:12 AM  Show Profile  Send scottyd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I started a new fcps thread

Scott
Driving America's Future
Go to Top of Page

LBDboater
Advanced Member

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  08:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry that he also ruined this topic. This is getting redicioulous. And to think its only Saturday morning.
Go to Top of Page

scottyd
Advanced Member

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  7:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Send scottyd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've noticed he's been on the new FCPS thread, too.

Scott
Driving America's Future
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  8:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
really? Thats very interesting. Something tells me we won't have all of our buses in our county until summer because they still have to go to the dealer, get inspected, have radios installed, and then assigned.

Go to Top of Page

poor_driver

162 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2006 :  4:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all

Sorry it took so long for me to respond.....The fleet i saw off of 95 northhbound was right off of route 1...stafford county...as a matter of fact they are selling some of there buses on publicsurplus.com (as of may 9th 2005)
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  02:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  5:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be a bit late, but my Webshots pages have been updated for May. Here's what we got this month:

http://community.webshots.com/user/icre1629
New "School Bus Of The Month". 2007 IC RE

http://community.webshots.com/user/IC1629
Added a new album called "NEW PHOTOS - MAY 2006". This album showcases photos from my visit to the Newington facility for FCPS on May 12th, 2006.

Any commments appreciated.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000