TWO WAY-RADIO
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bustroy

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  04:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On you bus does your two-way still work when you take the key out. Will i know on my IC RE it doesnt. And i dont know how many of us been told. That if you have to hang your mic out the window to be able to reach your dispatcher in an evacuation. Your two-way wont work.How is that a help when you take the key?.

Edited by - bustroy on 03/26/2005 04:02:01 AM

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  06:17:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our new Motorolas go on and off automatically with the key, but you can turn them on manually without the key.

Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  08:52:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of ours, except for 1, have the two-way wired directly to the battery. Not a bad thing during the year, but during spring, summer, and Christmas breaks, we have to remember to turn them off otherwise it'll drain the battery.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

CountGirl
Top Member

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  09:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use Nextel handsets, which are independent of the bus. We've found them very useful - radio talk is limited to our bus "group" (only the radios in each bus and the base bosses) so it can't be heard by other people, and it is private to only the person you are speaking to and yourself, but I believe there is a 'monitoring' ability with a few of the base radios to assure proper usage. The privacy is good b/c kids are not hearing information they should not be privy to, but we still have radios and contactability.

Hope this helps. P.S. - Some buses have chargers in them, some do not - each night the radios are taken in and "put to bed" if needed in their nice little chargers. LOL.

Count

Give me a yellow object. Yes. Right now. I need my yellow chocolate, for goodness sake!
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  12:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the two-way radios that I've seen will not work without the key in accessory, or without the engine running.

I'm not sure if I'd like to have the radio hardwired to the batteries. If something malfunctioned on the radio, or if the driver forgot to turn it off, you could have some problems the next time you go to start up the bus!

Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  12:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But at the same time, if something were to cut off the power to all of the other accessories (not necessarily a dead battery), at least the radios could still be used. If a driver does forget to turn off their radio (which most are usually good about remembering), then we'd just have to jump the bus or hook it up to a charger. No biggie. I think having them hardwired isn't a bad idea.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  2:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1983WardFord

But at the same time, if something were to cut off the power to all of the other accessories (not necessarily a dead battery), at least the radios could still be used. If a driver does forget to turn off their radio (which most are usually good about remembering), then we'd just have to jump the bus or hook it up to a charger. No biggie. I think having them hardwired isn't a bad idea.

This is true, I had this very problem in my 86 Thomas, the bus was running fine but I kept losing power to the bus body, it was randomly coming on and off. One minute things would be fine the next minute I'd go to turn on my ambers and they wouldn't work so I'd have to use the hazards, when the power was lost the pilot light for the video camera would go off and of course so would the two-way radio. When the power would come back on the pilot light would come back on and then of course the radio would make the beeping noise that it makes when you turn it on. It only happened the one time in that bus and I don't think we've really had a problem in any of the other buses to my knowledge. We continue to have our wired to the ignition so that we don't have to worry about them being left on and draining the battery. Either way that you wire it you will have advantages and disadvantages.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  3:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here, every time a driver reports a dead battery, dispatch asks them if they left the radio on. That's just ridiculous! A 2-way radio on "recieve" draws next to nothing...milliwatts ("transmit" is a different story). Nobody's going to tell me that 3 big ole diesel batteries are going to be killed by leaving a radio on. Maybe over the summer...but certainly not over night or a week or two.

I think they just like to blame the driver for EVERYTHING!
Go to Top of Page

bustroy

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  06:15:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is a problem that needs some fixen.Bus Manufacture's hear me out.Fix this Please!!!!!

Driver Trainer
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  7:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've seen radios powered by the vechicle's battery. Just go on battery power if it is.

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

2001bluebird

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  1:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bus' two way radio shuts off when the key is in the OFF position they work on the ON postion and when you turn the key to ACCESORY. So I never turn it off because i forget to turn it on

Blue Bird A True BLUE bus Manufacture Since 1927

Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  8:03:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like handheld radios best, but as you all know, batteries run out. If I could choose, that's what I'll get.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000