Where do you Park?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  3:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just curious, at night, where do you all park your buses? In my county the drivers can either take them to the garage compound, home with special permission, city bus parking lots, county vehical lot (ambulances, fire trucks, public buses, cop cars) and very few are kept at the schools.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  3:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Jefferson County, it is manditory you bring your bus back to the bus compound. Not just any bus compound, the one the bus came originally from. Then, certain buses part in certain spots, sub buses in the sub buses spot, regualar route bus in the regualr route spots, ect. It is very hard to keep track because their is over 1,200 buses in my district. I know, some buses (our 1989 Blue-Bird Fords, and 1989 GMC Ward Mini-buses are assigned to different High schools for the high schools needs.
-Jake

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  3:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the drivers by me park there buses at home. It seems only the senior drivers are aloud to do that here. But about 98% of them are parked in the schools lot.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  3:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a compound where we are supposed to park our buses--nowhere else! Spots there aren't assigned, partially because of the screwed-up way the lot is set up. A few of our perfect-attendance drivers have their own spots, though, while others have a spot or an area they like the best.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  4:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In my driveway. It's ~3.5 miles to my first stop and it would be more than 15 miles to the bus shop.

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  4:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
with over 1600 school buses, and three garages (compunds) our system is CRAZY! In the summer's we are frequently losing buses, not actually losing them but forgetting whre they were parked at the end of the school year. Last year, my driver said that she spent 5 days looking for her 2002 IC RE because the county failed to mention to her that her bus was rented out over the summer to day camps and pre schools. here, your bus is your bus and no one elses. If you change your route, your bus goes with you. With the older buses they are parked in the same lots as the newer buses, and are not organized. they are mixed in with special ed. and you are responsible for your own bus, and where it is parked. I am not sure if you are allowed to park somewhere else without permission though.

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

coolbusdriver
Top Member

Canada
1509 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  4:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I park mine at home. We have some that park at home, but most buses are parked at the yard.
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  4:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In my county, drivers are allowed to park their buses at their home or at a school or somewhere in town where they know that the bus won't be messed around with. I don't think that any drivers here park their bus at the shop.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  4:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I park mine at my contractors house all her buses stay at her house enless the driver has room at there house and is semi near the route. Right now all the buses stay at her house which is pretty convient since the fuel tanks is housed there we would still have to come and get diesel there. If I didn't live intown I would keep my bus at my house. I bring it home sometimes during the day but it's really not suppose to stay at my house for an exteneded period of time. I also dont want to wake my neighbors at 6:30 idling my engine.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird 7

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  4:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Bluebird 7 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
All the buses where i work get parked in the garage every night.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  4:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey IC-RE, A LOT more than a few are parked at schools. I would guess it's about half. The biggest yards (West Ox and Newington) only hold about 300-400 buses each. The school principals don't like buses taking up their parking spaces, but they have to put them SOMEWHERE!

I park at 11 Oaks, which is an old school that is now an ALC (special school for gangbangers and other BAD*** kids that have been expelled from regular schools).

The parking at home started going out of style when pre-trip inspections became the law. If the neighbors complain about horns blowing and air brake tests at 5:30 in the morning....you can't park it at home anymore.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  5:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
None of ours get parked at the school. Our buses go back to the bus garage, which is located in town. Needless to say, our yard is pathetic. Bumpy, dusty and dangerous. We're under 345 kv high tension wires and hear them buzz all the time. They're pretty spooky also, especially when it's raining out or when there is snow on them because they make crackling noises and sometimes, when it's really warm or cold, you can see blue waves around them.

I'm one of those people who strongly believes that high voltage power lines cause diseases, such as cancer, so I wonder what the effects are of those who are doing the office work, like the managers, and maintance people.
We've got those huge poles in our yard so we've got to be careful where we park.

Some people bring there buses home overnight in order to allow more space in the yard. When i used to do morning and afternoon I would take my bus home during routes -now i don't obviously because I only work half shift.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 02/22/2005 6:29:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

CrownBus1
Top Member

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  9:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of the buses in my district are parked at the bus yard. None of the drivers take them home. On occasion, 1 or 2 might be parked at a school, but this is rare.

Bus 1
1985 Crown

Edited by - CrownBus1 on 02/22/2005 9:13:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

scottyd
Advanced Member

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  02:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Send scottyd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I usually take my bus home for the mid-day break, depending on the run I'm covering. Living in a townhouse, we can't have commercial vehicles parked in the neighborhood overnight. There is a school right behind my house where I would park if I ever got my own bus. Spec Ed has such a shortage of buses this year that most of the Floater II's and all Rangers had to give their buses for spares.

Scott
Driving America's Future
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  07:55:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wow scottyd, are they going to fix that problem this year with 2005 IC FE's? I was told we are getting 220 more than double the usual amount, maybe you all will get more too?

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

scottyd
Advanced Member

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  08:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Send scottyd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
IC-RE--I heard about 3 weeks ago that we were not getting all the buses we were supposed to. I don't know if that's just spec ed or county-wide.

Scott
Driving America's Future
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  08:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thats good maybe you won;y have a shortage any more

Go to Top of Page

specialneeds54
Advanced Member

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  1:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just about all of us Take our buses Home Just so much easier that way
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  6:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We bring ours back to the garage we have. I dont really see a point in keeping them at home, unless you live far away from the garage they're kept at.
Go to Top of Page

Tmac0384
Advanced Member

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  11:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tmac0384's Homepage  Send Tmac0384 an AOL message  Send Tmac0384 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
where i used to work, drivers would leave them at the bus lot, take them home, or park them at one of the schools. it was really based on what the driver wanted to do. at the lot, it was all fenced in and cameras everywhere. at schools and homes... no surveilence. i personally brought my vehicle home, it's easier. and when i go back to driving, i'm gonna bring the bus home, and either park it across the street at an old farmhouse or just park it in the driveway, but too many cars in my driveway, so it'd be across the street.

sometimes older is way better than new.

some photos of mine: http://community.webshots.com/user/Bus213
(it's a work in progress... tons of photos to come!)
Go to Top of Page

Tmac0384
Advanced Member

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  11:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tmac0384's Homepage  Send Tmac0384 an AOL message  Send Tmac0384 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
another thing... today it snowed all day... and it's still snowing. nothing's better than having that bus in the driveway to cover it up, so no shoveling really has to be done!

sometimes older is way better than new.

some photos of mine: http://community.webshots.com/user/Bus213
(it's a work in progress... tons of photos to come!)
Go to Top of Page

YardBird
Advanced Member

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  07:42:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We park in the company yard in no particular order.

Sure! I'll pick your kid up closer to the house... Widen your front door!

"I LOOOOOVE MY UNION!"
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  1:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We park all 86 of our buses in one fenced bus lot set back in the hills where it's quite well concealed. Each bus has a numbered parking space where it must park, and they are serviced in two drive-through garage bays (each bay can hold two buses). It's quite a nice facility, it was built in 2002. I can't think of a time when buses were ever taken home by the drivers... Even the routes from the 1950s indicate that the route either started at a school, or at the bus lot.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  2:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We keep our fleet of 13 buses at the bus lot on the school grounds, it's fenced in along with the bus garage that was built in 03, the drive comes off of the street and goes by the bus lot and then continues on to the bus loop in the rear, 5 of the buses use that loop the other 5 go around to the other side. We do allow drivers to take their bus home with them if they want to but right now we don't have any drivers that prefer to do that. When you drive in the bus lot their are 12 spots on one side (for regular route buses) only 10 of them are used and on the other side there are 4 spots for spares, currently all of those are full but next year only 3 of them will be.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000