Heat Problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  8:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In my '91 Ward International with the DTA360, I barely get any heat inside even after it's been running for quite a while. It will come out cold for the longest time, and then eventually lukewarm. All of the valves for the heating system are open. Is there any maintenance that needs to be done to ensure a working heat system? Is there anything that needs to be cleaned out every once in a while?

Thanks
-Dave

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  07:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the engine temperature?

Heater cores and filters...especially on a bus that age, could very well have a really nice 'blanket' of filth on them. I've never had a Ward, so I don't know the in's and out's of exactly where and how to dissaemlble the heaters for cleaning...but I am positive others here can help with that.

Do you have a booster pump (AKA Auxillery Pump)...if you do and it's not working it could cause some circulation problems.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  3:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ward (now IC) typically places the coolant supply at the REAR of the cylinder head on the driver's side of the engine, you cannot really get to the valve w/o getting dirty. Feel the hose with the engine OFF but warm, it should be the same temp as the rest of the engine. Now check the return hose as it comes from the firewall under the air filter on it's way to the waterpump inlet (lower right front of the engine), it should be nearly as warm as the other hose with all the fans OFF. If not, you have a restriction to flow. This could be a plugged valve, closed valve or some other form of restiction in the system. Sometimes the hoses collapse. They run down the LEFT side of the body interior under the shiny metallic cover along the floor/wall edge. There may also be a valve located to the left of the driver's seat near where the cowl meets the bus body, if that is the valve you have opened, and NOT the one on the engine, make sure that BOTH engine valves are on.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy 1
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  8:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The valve that ModMech is talking about on the back of the cyl head I have had 2 bus with a problem there just this winter on the one the valve broke inside and did not open this fall felt like it did but did not I normally do not shut them ever but I changed ahose back there last summer so I had closed it. On the other bus the valve had vibrated almost closed that one had fair heat on a normal day but on a -20 day just lukewarm these buses are thomas buses with the Dt360 eng but the symtoms sound exactly the same ck the valves close If then eng temp is up to normal.
Go to Top of Page

jimbcole

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  4:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit jimbcole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The engine temperature is critical in diagnosing this problem. This problem is typical with a stuck open thermostat or a stuck on fan clutch. Did you happen to notice the engine temperature?
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  9:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dave, being for the past few weeks all we've done in our garage is work on heaters, your problem is just the same. What you need to do is take apart the metal work hiding the fans and with a air-hose (make sure it has lots of power), blow all the dirt and whatever else out of the driver heaters, the windsheild defroster and the door heater and you show notice heat once agian. An other thing about the door heater is between the firewall and the back of the heater there is space, in that space dirt and globs of dust/whatnots cling to the vent which ***** in air from outside and sends it to the fan that blows the heat. If that back vent is filled up with junk wipe it off with a rag, or vacuum it it off. That'll help heat up the door area. I hope you can understand my craziness of this post but it's working in our garage and our Int.s are blowing hot heat again. Good Luck!

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000