Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 New here and wondering
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randiscan

United States
4 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  09:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Randiscan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I am new here but I would like some opinions. My grandson is special needs and rides a small school bus to and from school. He is 5 years old and completely non verbal. He has had brain surgery and he has left side hemiperisis and has a shunt.

My daughter was told this past Wenesday by the busdriver that Kody tipped over on Monday but they felt he was ok....(they took his pulse and checked him). They said that his tie down broke. They continued on and "held" him in position untill they got to the next house and then put him in the childs place that got off.
First of all they didn't tell his mom until Monday which had been 2 days that he could have died in his sleep. He is medically fragile from his brain surgerys......he had half his brain removed due to a seizure disorder at 11 weeks old. We also found out that they falsified a report and had turned it in to the bus company on Monday but the bus company didn't call us or school because on the report from the bus driver it stated that we knew and so did school.
When we did find out on Wendesday he was checked over by the school nurse and she found a big bruise on his right temple. That day when he came home from school he was taken for a CT scan which is showing no damage but you never know with head injuries and seizures that can return.

The driver was suspended and they are having a meeting in the company with the driver on Tuesday. They really don't know how the tie down came undone but found it not to be defective so the driver lied about that to. I am just so disgused and mad that they lied!!!!! Have any of you heard of anything like this happening? Aren't most bus drivers trustworthy? I really hope so! He has a new bus driver with an aide and we really like them but since this is summer school we don't know what will happen in Sept.

Thanks for reading!
Randi

Edited by - Randiscan on 07/23/2007 2:42:03 PM

littlebit
Advanced Member

431 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  07:44:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First let me say that your grandson is a cutie!!! I love the first pic of him and he looks so happy in the pool with his granddad. He also has that look that all men get when they go into Lowes.. :)
I am so sorry that this driver has betrayed your trust that you placed with her..Like every profession we do have a few bad apples, but not all bus drivers are that way. To me it sounds like this driver was worried about covering herself and not thinking about any possible harm that could come to Cody because of his fall. What she didn't realize that if she had told the truth when it first happened, she probably wouldn't be in as much trouble now.
I don't drive special needs but I do have accidents on my bus from time to time and I always try to notify the parents involved either in person or by note when something takes place on my bus. The note includes my personal cell number, that way if they have nay more questions they can call.

So yes most of us are trustworthy and I would recommend that any driver in the future be told that if an accident happens with him, no matter how minor the driver thinks it is..it is to be reported to the mom AT ONCE!!! No exceptions...

Hopefully this won't affect his health Please give him a big hug from this TN bus driver...

Bus 34
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  08:12:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
littlebit - don't just take Randi's word on what happened re. the bus driver and the attendant. He is only giving one side - his side (or his view). The employer will deal with the employees and get their side as well and we will hear that side of the story if management or the employees speak up at some point. While I feel bad for anyone who thinks their child was put into harms way by a professional driver, there is the need to remember that there are two sides to every story and we are missing one in this case.

JC
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  12:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG I want Kody on *MY* bus! Here in FL, it's usually the more senior drivers that drive the wheelchair lift routes. I know from personal experience that it is very easy to take for granted that the assistants have done everything correctly each and every time. I've been fortunate in that I've never had a restraint come undone while moving, but I have had them fall from the side rails after the aide hung it up.

It's a bit eerie that I read your post today. I drove a summer school route today and had 2 students in chairs. One was in regular ed, and able to tell me that the seatbelt wasn't comfortable. So I fixed it for him. The little boy in front of him is, Like Kpdy, non-verbal. Bless his heart, even if he could talk I don't think he would. Anyway, I checked all the restraints and tie-downs. I do this each trip anyway, but pay super extra attention when I am filling in for someone (like today). I'll be darned, *ALL* 4 restraints were attached to the tracks backwards, so the webbing was twisted and bent around to reach this boy's chair.

I just wanted to re-affirm your thought that most bus drivers are trustworthy. Unfortunately trust (nor honesty) is not something that you can test and measure when hiring bus drivers (or anything else, I suppose). My experience has been that most drivers are VERY conscientious and caring. There are bad apples in every profession, and I hope that Kody has a great driver for the rest of his school years!

PS Kody's story will make me a better lift-bus driver. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Randiscan

United States
4 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  09:40:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Randiscan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your responses. JC...I am a woman, but that mistake is always made..lol. I just want to say that I really do realize that accidents happen. That is not what I have a problem with. I have a problem with the driver lying. He has lied about everything including the report...saying where it happened..when it happened..that Kody was hurt...that the school was notified...and that wer were notified. The bus company trusted him, he had put in the report that we and the school were told and no one really was. So in essence we didn't find out until Wenesday. Anyway I am definately not trying to say anything bad at all about bus drivers, I am just stating the facts of what happened. I realize that it is an extremely hard job, my husband did it many many years ago. The bus driver was fired but we didn't really have anything to do with that...the owner of the company couldn't excuse his lying.
Thank you so much on the compliments on Kody.....I think he is pretty cute but I am kind of partial...LOL.

Randi (Kody's grandma)
Go to Top of Page

Lena

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  10:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC Theriault

littlebit - don't just take Randi's word on what happened re. the bus driver and the attendant. He is only giving one side - his side (or his view). The employer will deal with the employees and get their side as well and we will hear that side of the story if management or the employees speak up at some point. While I feel bad for anyone who thinks their child was put into harms way by a professional driver, there is the need to remember that there are two sides to every story and we are missing one in this case.

JC

I agree....two sides to every story....a little "odd" that a parent would seek out a forum like this, imho...

Most smiles are started by another smile...
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  4:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree....two sides to every story....a little "odd" that a parent would seek out a forum like this, imho...

Parent participation is always important though, and we've heard from some great ones in the past. One of our forum members has stated to me that one of the biggest problems with this industry is that we don't (most, anyhow) communicate to the public about all that we try to do to keep their children safe. We need to be more open, probably, and this participation is important. Parents won't understand us if we don't try to communicate.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999

Edited by - Thomas Ford 85-16 on 07/23/2007 4:05:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  09:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randiscan

Thank you all for your responses. JC...I am a woman, but that mistake is always made..lol. I just want to say that I really do realize that accidents happen. That is not what I have a problem with. I have a problem with the driver lying. He has lied about everything including the report...saying where it happened..when it happened..that Kody was hurt...that the school was notified...and that wer were notified. The bus company trusted him, he had put in the report that we and the school were told and no one really was. So in essence we didn't find out until Wenesday. Anyway I am definately not trying to say anything bad at all about bus drivers, I am just stating the facts of what happened. I realize that it is an extremely hard job, my husband did it many many years ago. The bus driver was fired but we didn't really have anything to do with that...the owner of the company couldn't excuse his lying.
Thank you so much on the compliments on Kody.....I think he is pretty cute but I am kind of partial...LOL.

Randi (Kody's grandma)

Hi, when it comes to your grandson, it's obviously your job to protect him, like it was my grandma's job to protect me, even though she still tries to do so this day!

They should have told you or his mom THAT DAY. No excuses at all. If for some reason they couldn't talk to your daughter, they should have called the bus company and reported it.

I am sure, but I am not positive, that if you had found out about it the day it happened, you would have been more acceptable of what happened and brought your grandson in to get checked. You would have known that every possible action was taken to make sure your grandson was kept safe.

Yes, most bus drivers ARE trustworthy. Unfortunately, there are a few bad apples in every batch that make the rest of us questionable, which is too bad. I get so sick of reading all of the news reports saying that they are going to come down harder on school bus drivers in regards to driving, etc...When they don't do anything about other motorist.

The way some people treat us- you wouldn't believe. I've been doing this for only 6 years and I've met some of the most wonderful people along with some of the most miserable trouble makers who complain because the bus isn't at the bus stop at 32 seconds past the minute.

Yes, it's a service that we are providing but I will put safety before satisfaction.
Go to Top of Page

coolbusdriver
Top Member

Canada
1509 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  04:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Randi
I have been driving special needs buses for 7 years now and love my job. I am blessed with having most all the parents of my kids either meet the bus or bring the kids to the bus in the morning. This always allows time to chat about the bus ride and any concerns the parent has. We talk about everything that their child experiences on the bus.

On the first day a child is placed on my bus I ask the parent, "is there anything I need to know about him/her?" Any medical conditions that might require emergency assistance, method of communication, what I need to watch for regarding behaviour and habits?" I also ask who will bring him/her to the bus in the morning and who will be meeting the bus when it arrives back at the home.

So make sure you have a talk with the driver and the bus aide, let them know as much as they need to safely transport and understand your grandson and his special needs. Make sure they are aware that you want to be told about his bus ride and everything that happened while on the bus. Good communication will solve a host of problems and help everyone be more comfortable with the trip.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000