Navistar Variable Turbochargers.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  6:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a heads up to those with '05 and '06 Navistars..... if a Code 353 or 354 sets and the turbo gets real numb, they are having problems with sticking turbo regulators. Get 'em fixed while they're still covered.

Edited by - IBTMech on 07/10/2006 6:04:34 PM

jimbo20

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2006 :  05:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We purchased 61 2005 with the dt466. Navistar cane out and checked
all of them. The problem was with the actuator for the VGT. They replaced quite a few of them.
Go to Top of Page

8V92TA

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  12:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit 8V92TA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seen this same thing on the 2003.5-2006 Ford 6.0L diesels, but with only 5-6 miles on them. Turns out that when they are sitting on the dealer lot, condensation is building up inside the moving vanes in the turbine housing. Since the engine is new, there is not thick layer of carbon to protect the bare metal. The result is rust, seizing the vanes in the startup position. Watch out of higher than normal boost, blown intercooler connections, and turbo surge. Ford has replaced countless turbochargers because of this.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  3:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Turbo sticking can be eliminated (mostly) by the following:

- Drive them HARD.
- DO NOT idle (unless absolutely necessary).
- Use GOOD Quality oil
- Verify your fuel Cetane, and keep it ABOVE 43!
- Cover the exhaust pipes over the summer to prevent the formation of rust (especially useful on newer units).
- Drive then HARD.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  4:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the drive them hard concept! I drove a shuttle where you travelled at 20 mph or less doing 8 minutes of driving and 7 minutes of parked idling every 15 minutes for 10 continuous hours monday to friday driving a ford cutaway with a 7.3 diesel with a 21 passenger champion body. The employer frowned on the bus being shut down as there was a $$ penalty from the hospital corporation if a replacement vehicle wasn't on site within 15 minutes of a breakdown or no-start situation. The garage was 30 minutes away with a mechanic on duty after 4pm. I drove this shuttle from 6:30am to 4:30pm so a roadcall was a no no!

I made it a point to drive it hard at the end of each day for 15 minutes to clean out the carbon, tons of black smoke would roll out and you'd hear the turbo come to life by the time I got home. Every 2nd or 3rd night I'd have to take it across town for fuel or to run it through the truck wash and I made sure to hit the highway for at least 15 minutes.

It was always fun when I'd take it on a charter after hours or on the weekends. I'd give 'er on the highways and it would work much better for a couple of days then back to the usual not-so-peppy behaviour.

I always found diesel buses, turbo or not, worked better when driven hard to keep em cleaned out.

JC

Edited by - JC Theriault on 07/17/2006 4:31:09 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000