August 31, 2010  |   Comments (9)   |   Post a comment

Lap-Shoulder Belts on Buses: One School District's Experience

SHARING TOOLS   | Email RSS

Bartholomew Consolidated School Corp. in Columbus, Ind., shares its first-year experience with belted school bus seating. (Courtesy of IMMI, manufacturer of SafeGuard school bus seats.)

No matter how it's designed,you the driver can't tell if there in their belts or not.The backs are totally to high,you are unable to see them.In a emergency not all of the student would make it out safely.I have over 33 years in school busing. Do you really think this is the best? You should check with Driver's who are out there day in and day out!

Tony    |    Dec 27, 2011 10:10 AM

I have been in transportation for 28 years. I have watched with disbelief over the years as people try to fix things that are not broken. In NY we have lap belts as mandatory equipment, no one mandates the children wear them but we have them "in case" someone wants to use them. The cost of installing and maintaining them far out weighs their use. Compartmentialization and lap belts do not work together and this has been documented. The 3 point restraint will be better in a perfect world where the passengers will cooperate and wear them. Another point is capacity,once students get to middle school / HS they are the same size as adults. I don't care how you slice it, seat belts or not you will not fit 3 of them in a school bus seat. They are still beter off in a school bus than any other form of transportation..

Jack    |    Jul 29, 2011 03:01 AM

I am concerned about fire and so on as well none of my buses were I live have seat belts I have seen but that could of changed I am from canada as well. and if the buses have seat belts U better get a quick seat belt release on them only for driver to use.

Rodney    |    Jul 17, 2011 08:37 AM

I agree with L. Powell, how does the driver get the kids out in an emergency? Even with a monitor it's going to be a nightmare. Show me a accident video with K-5 kids with the bus rolled over on it's side with the driver incapacitated and diesel fuel leaking. Also, show me some belts have about +100000 miles on them and they are worn out and school system has got no funds to replace them. Who's going to make sure the kids stay buckled in a worn out seat belt? There may be some benefits but I see the negatives far out weighing the benefits.

J Taylor    |    May 16, 2011 09:39 AM

Been driving for 8+ years and I'm not sold on seat belts for school buses. Extensive driver safety training is the key. The number one advice I give to new drivers is SLOW DOWN.

John Payter    |    Feb 05, 2011 09:26 AM

I am a bus driver of 15 yrs+, When I heard about our state looking into seat belts for the buses I was 110% against it. One huge questions entered my mind...How would I possible get the children out of their seats quickly? I had a lot of "what ifs" running threw my mind. After watching this video, I see the advantage of having them. It would be great to have a bus full of children actually safe in their seats. However,they need to come up with a way to install a release button for the driver to push to release ALL seat belts so the children can exit the bus safely!!

REGINA    |    Jan 28, 2011 07:54 AM

Wow! Great video on the lap-shoulder seat belts. I think it's a great move!

Katie Youngren    |    Jan 26, 2011 11:46 AM

Was the monitor alright? I could tell she was older.

Jordan    |    Dec 11, 2010 03:33 PM

My concern is evacuation in an emergency/fire. How can one driver make sure all of the students are evacuated in an emergency. When there are 60+ students behind her from pre-school up, it would be next to impossible to help unbuckle each of those younger riders. What if the driver is incapacitated, there is no one else to assist with evacuation. Do you have monitors on all of your buses?

L. Powell    |    Sep 03, 2010 03:45 AM