Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Driver License for mechanic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

austindnh

23 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2021 :  03:21:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit austindnh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know there is an old topic àbout this on mechanic needing the s endorsement or not. I was wondering if anyone has an update we have a mechanic getting his p endorsement. But our driver trainer is saying we have to strip down a bus to get it. We have also heard that a school bus mechanic is the the only exception to the rules and can take a test in a school bus and just get a p endorsement. Does anyone know where to find the information? (Supposably changed in Last 5years)

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2021 :  07:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austindnh

I know there is an old topic àbout this on mechanic needing the s endorsement or not. I was wondering if anyone has an update we have a mechanic getting his p endorsement. But our driver trainer is saying we have to strip down a bus to get it. We have also heard that a school bus mechanic is the the only exception to the rules and can take a test in a school bus and just get a p endorsement. Does anyone know where to find the information? (Supposably changed in Last 5years)

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/383.93

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/part/383

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2021 :  11:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In NS Canada for buses, mechanics need air brake endorsement and a valid license(class 5) to test drive a single axle unit with air brakes (juice brakes just need a class 5) , of course no passengers in buses for test drives and deliver between bases

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2021 :  12:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a mechanic and I only have my P. I am in Ohio. If I wanted to get my S-endorsement, I would need to re-take the entire test. Here in Ohio, you can have an S-endorsement, but need to have your Certificate in order to drive kids around. So technically speaking, it would be in your mechanic's best interest to get the S-endorsement, but refrain from getting his Certificate. This way he doesn't have to re-take the test in case he changes his mind.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2021 :  03:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^What he said^ Get the P and the S and be done.

Even if the guy doesn't want to drive students, sometime down the road, if hes already licensed to do it, it could save his job during budget cuts.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2021 :  06:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in Ohio and only got my P endorsement on purpose. That allows you to drive a empty bus and that's all i wanted it for. I tested in a regular bus.
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  08:18:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know the saying if it walks like a duck, quakes like a duck and looks like a duck its a duck. The school bus is national school yellow and black with a school bus on the front and rear, with a school bus tag its a school bus wither there are passengers on it or not. In Oklahoma you have to have the P and the S endorsements to drive the school bus.
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2021 :  06:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the province I live in only requires a basic license to drive an empty bus of any size as long as it's juice brakes, would still need air endorsement otherwise. it is kinda messed up as you need the next step up to drive a vehicle over 10k lbs that is not a bus. all I know is that I can not be roped into driving a route with my basic license and that suits me fine.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000