Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Anxiety/panic attacks while driving?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brook Peacock

116 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2021 :  11:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brook Peacock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am sorry if I may be in the wrong thread, but I could use some suggestions. My anxiety usually only occurs when I am driving, and usually in bad weather or at night. I was looking for actual coping skills, but all I got was to take a pill or to not drive. I don't think that either option is realistic, because one, benzos are addictive and I do not want to become dependent, and two, this is my line of work. It used to be way worse, but it has gotten better since I have been taking Effexor. I do certain things, like make sure that I get enough sleep and put the radio on so that I do not become over-aware of my body sensations. I also use self-talk to some degree. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, what do you do to cope and gain more confidence?

Edited by - Brook Peacock on 01/26/2021 11:43:23 PM

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  10:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel what your going through. I had a tough time dealing with the covid and during all that I fell and broke several ribs. I went to the Dr. and told him i was a bus driver and couldn't take anything habbit forming he prescribed a couple of pills it took a week or two for them to start working. I have passed my drug test so I have been doing really good, my Dr. said there are a lot of meds out so should be able to find one that works for you. Hope this helps because i know what it's like to be driving and have a panic attach. Best wishes and hope you find something that helps you.
Go to Top of Page

Brook Peacock

116 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2021 :  12:37:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brook Peacock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wanted to give you an update. I sat and tried to think about just what exactly it is that bothers me about driving and what I could do about it. One thing that I noticed is that I pay too much attention to the speedometer when I drive on the highway. I get paranoid that I am going too slowly for the person behind me, even if I happen to be going along with the flow of traffic. I just decided that if someone gets that annoyed that that is what the left lane is for. Even though I get nervous when I drive, I rationalize that I am a defensive driver and not Mr. Magoo, so if someone gets impatient, it is really their choice. I notice that I bite my lip or the inside of my cheek when I get anxious sometimes, so I have a pack of chewing gum in my car. I also don't like it when the driver seat reclines. I feel more secure with the seat straighter up so I adjust it to where I can rest my head without having to lean back. For some reason that makes me feel safer. I still hate driving past all the road construction on the highway, especially on the way home because it is nighttime when I leave work, and the highway construction is more intensive on that side of the highway. I have been noticing for some reason that once I pass a particular exit, that I start to calm down a bit. My mechanic said that on my old tires that I will hydroplane in bad weather, so, being as suggestible as I am, I got paranoid about that. I have some new tires that I have researched to be very good in inclement weather. My therapist said that maybe I should go online and research driving techniques and it helped. There were some suggestions that I have incorporated and the information that I read gave me some confidence. Just because some people road rage or tailgate or go 20 miles over the speed limit in a construction zone doesn't mean that the fault lies with me. I think that's about it, and I haven't panicked since I posted my OP. Let's hope that it keeps up!
Go to Top of Page

RBurt

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2021 :  11:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Click to see RBurt's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Brook, that's great that you've begun working things out for yourself! I know these feelings can be challenging in our line of work. One thing I do is become a "Zen" driver. I'd heard the term used somewhere else years ago, and it worked for me. When I drive I tell myself, "No matter what anyone else does, I'm going to follow the rules because my safety and that of my passengers depends on me staying calm."
Go to Top of Page

Brook Peacock

116 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2021 :  12:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brook Peacock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll check that out, thanks, bud!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000