Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Bus won't start after timing cover replacement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2020 :  6:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Working on a 04 IC RE300. Had a hole in the rear timing cover of the DT 530 in the HPOP reservoir area causing an oily mess, so had to do a replacement. Made sure all gears were timed correctly under cover, replaced o-ring on oil pressure relief valve and all other gaskets and seals, basically put everything back as it was. I did use new seals and o-rings from the kit. Now it will not start. Cranks but no start. Does anbody have any ideas? This is my second time doing this job and the first time I had no problems.

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2020 :  08:11:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have two inactive codes on the bus. ICP Unable to build pressure at engine crank PID 164 FMI 1 and Unexpected reset Fault M SID 254 FMI 8.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2020 :  08:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By timing cover i suspect you are talking about the frt. cover, did you just replace the outer piece, there is an update where you have to replace both inner and outer , theres something about different about EOP oil pump configuration also, does it build engine oil pressure, if yes full field the HPOP and see if it builds close to 5000psi , if no to EOP then pull crank pulley and see what is going on also pull the engine oil temp. sensor located under HPOP and see if oil is in the reservoir for the HPOP if not then an issue with the frt. cover o-ring

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years

Edited by - Bluenozer on 10/19/2020 08:37:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2020 :  09:01:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just replaced the inner cover not the outer. I did not know you had to replace both.
Go to Top of Page

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2020 :  10:06:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tested EOP with scanner and am getting nothing. Does oil pump need to be primed?
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2020 :  10:07:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you don't always but a good parts person would have seen the notes on his screen , you might have updated back and old front part , and there is something with the oil pump also make sure to ask

Go to Top of Page

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2020 :  2:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Talked to parts person and he was not aware of any of the things you have mentioned Bluenozer. I am going to try to pack the oil pump with white lithium grease and try this again as I do not have any EOP. Thanks for your replies.
Go to Top of Page

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2020 :  7:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is it possible to install oil pump backwards on the crank?
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  02:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't think it matters , I've pulled then apart with no washer in it no issues

Go to Top of Page

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2020 :  09:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, was the oil pump. Packed it with grease, put it back together and had oil pressure. Maybe this will help someone in the future when doing this job. Thanks to Bluenozer for taking time to help out!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000