New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2020 :  3:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2014 Thomas FE with the Cummins ISB6.7. I'm getting code 3555 for Wait to Start abnormal update rate. Here is where I'm at:

-I checked Cummins TSB and the previous ECM calibrations are not affected. There are no current calibration updates for this bus.
-The wait to start lamp is coming on, but seems the slightest bit dull. These gauge clusters are not serviceable so I cannot change the bulb. They are more than likely LED, but do not look bright like LED's. Does anyone know if Thomas put non-serviceable incandescent bulbs in their gauge clusters?
-I checked pins C+D on the OBD connector to check the CAN system. The terminating resistance I am getting is 63 Ohms. I know it should be around 60, but I'm not sure of the tolerance.

Bus runs and drives just fine. I am sick of the driver writing it up every day for a check engine light. Quickserve does not go into more detail on diagnostics for this code, short of checking the ECM calibration and checking the terminating resistance. Any help or info on how to fix this would be good. Code is currently active and CEL is illuminated. I clear it and it comes right back. Thanks.

Gearbox

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2020 :  5:37:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Gearbox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Whats the ESN?
Go to Top of Page

Gearbox

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2020 :  6:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Gearbox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
B6.7 CM2350 Active Fault Code 3555 After Engine Control Module Calibration- QSOL Reference: TSB170081. Active Fault Code 3555 after downloading engine control module (ECM) calibration codes released June 2017 or later.
Go to Top of Page

Gearbox

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2020 :  6:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Gearbox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
TSB 170081 addresses this issue
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2020 :  3:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, but I checked this TSB and it doesn't pertain to my bus. I was told by our Thomas dealer to check the grid resistance, but they couldn't tell me what that number should be. Our wiring diagrams from Cummins are useless. Quickserve Online has no details as far as location numbers for fuses or relays, wire numbers, pin numbers etc.
The ESN is 73624679

Edited by - g0ttadrift on 10/02/2020 3:54:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2020 :  03:23:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cummins is just the engine the oem sets up the harnesses( PDMs, relays ,etc.) to their components
G06-74447-000 is the freightshaker wire diagram
if light is dim probably a rubbed return wire to cummins ecm or faulty grid itself-ohm reading should show a reading , if it show 0ohm or set it beep and it beeps its open and no good
wait to start light is ran by data link

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2020 :  06:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just a thought i have had a lot of wait to start codes and it was due to one of the three bateries was bad not sure if this is your issue but its a quick check
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2020 :  5:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your input guys. I dug more into it and found the load side wire coming from the solenoid was rubbed through and corroded. I replaced that and was still only getting 10.5v at the grid heater stud. I took the wire off the heater and got 12v. I'm thinking the grid heater is bad and causing a loss of voltage through the system. Could have been caused by trying to draw too much amperage through the corroded wire. I'll let you know the fix once we order the grid heater.
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  2:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE:
Sooooo.... here's where I am at: I replaced the grid heater and supply cable and CEL is still throwing 3555 code. I swapped out dashboard from another bus; still CEL. About two months ago, we sent the bus to Cummins for VGT and NOx sensor issue. It came back with a CEL and this code. They said they weren't going to fix it because it's an OEM issue. Today, we double checked parameter settings with a sister bus and the only thing changed on it was the "Wait to Start" lamp was set to "Enable". The sister bus was set to "Disable". So we changed the setting to "Disable" and the code went away.
Up popped a new code!! (3494) I'm going to go through the diagnostics tree on this code and see where I end up. In the mean time, if anyone has experience with this code, feel free to speculate lol.
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  6:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After replacing the grid heater, I also got codes 1894 and 5177 for faulty VGT. I can also hear the VGT grinding when doing its initial check. This didn't happen before I replaced the grid heater. Is it possible I solved one small issue that was enough to allow the bigger issue to surface? Are these two systems connected somehow? The grid heater was covered in soot and the resistance across the grid was 50 Ohms.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2020 :  02:46:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
vgt just has power,ground, and datalink all 4 wires go directly to ecm
gridheater is cummins but the relay and wiring is all oem
you can try to pop it off and free up sector shaft

Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2020 :  2:37:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: After talking with Cummins, they are aware of this issue with the Thomas Bus. Same code for a Blue Bird is 3555 where Thomas is 3494. From what I can interpret, there isn't a fix out for this yet, but they're working on it. A sister bus does not have this code, but was never updated to the current calibration. I updated the ECM on the sister bus to the same calibration as the problem bus. We shall see if it throws the same code in the next few weeks. If it does, then I know for sure it's a computer issue.
Gearbox, this sounds like the TSB you're referencing, but doesn't pertain to my bus. The ECM calibration that is current is DT90400.08
Go to Top of Page

Gearbox

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2020 :  08:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Gearbox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Following, thanks for the update.
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2020 :  6:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: For the sake of keeping this thread alive.....
We have not had the chance for the sister bus to get back out on a route because of COVID. We were all geared up to start up all routes again in Dec. and then there was an increase in cases and things shut down again. When I have an update I will post, but it could be awhile.
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2021 :  7:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok guys, we just got this bus back from Cummins today. It was up there for VGT and turbo replacement. We had them look at the CEL and Cummins says it's a Thomas issue. Code is 3494. I called Thomas today and they said they are familiar with that code. It could be anything from low battery voltage, ECM needs calibrated, bad grid heater solenoid, to bad ground on the starter. All of these have been checked and checked again. Cummins just released a new update this past week so I decided to update the ECM to the newest calibration: DT90400.09. This did not fix the issue. Bus runs perfectly normal. CEL comes right back on after clearing, active code. This tells me something has failed, shorted, etc... if it's coming right back with an active code. If anyone has experienced this issue please share. We haven't taken the bus to the Thomas dealer yet, but from the sounds of it, they aren't going to do much that I haven't already done.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2021 :  02:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like a bad wire from ecm to solenoid pin 4 on oem plug of ecm just on an over lay for a day or two see what happens , common is shared with other devices if no issues pull apart and find or leave your overlay in

Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2021 :  1:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bluenozer. I am beginning to think ECM issue, but I will try this first.
Also, when it's cold out and the bus sits overnight, the heater solenoid will come on and preheat. It works normally, but still sets this code. I can also command it on with Insite.

Edited by - g0ttadrift on 03/31/2021 1:53:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2021 :  1:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FIXED!! Alright Bluenozer, I went into the OEM harness last night and there is no factory connector on pin 4. According to Cummins wiring diagram, which is not detailed by any means, the wire to the solenoid should be pin 96. Regardless, this wasn't the fix.
About a year ago, I had a mouse chew through some wires in the electrical box and disabled the accessories. I fixed that and all was working normally. About 3 months after this is when the Wait To Start Lamp issue started to happen. I didn't connect the two because they happened so far apart. My thinking was, there has to be a wire leading up the the dash for the lamp. So I checked all the wires coming through the body connectors in front of the driver's foot area. Sure enough, there's one wire (gray) that was chewed through 95%. It was hanging on by a thread. When I stripped the wires back and touched them together, the CEL instantly turned off and the code went inactive. There was nothing about this wire in the diagnostics tree or in the wiring diagrams we have. For all I know, this wire could be completely unrelated to the Wait To Start Lamp circuit, but was back-feeding through, causing the CEL. I have to wait on a new terminal end to come in so I can make a factory connection. Here's a link to the picture of the body connectors and the wire that was broken. Thanks for all your help.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KoEg5h85HAE5-ea0W7O1YZw0XXPRHiyN/view?usp=sharing

Edited by - g0ttadrift on 04/01/2021 1:33:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Brook Peacock

116 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2021 :  01:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brook Peacock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This saves my time, thanks bud.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000