Horn honks on bumps....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2020 :  1:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2015 IC 80K. Horn will honk by itself on sharp bumps and when ya let the steering wheel down aggressively. I'm guessing its just a faulty horn button but do you have to replace the whole center of the steering wheel? Should I put a clock spring assy in it while its down? Its the Wifey's bus so I hear about it nightly....

Help!!

Thanks all.

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2020 :  04:00:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would start at the clock spring

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2020 :  09:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluenozer

I would start at the clock spring

Will likely order one but I am going to swap the horn button/pad assy on mine out with the Wifey's bus and see what happens.

Thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2020 :  1:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I swapped out just the steering wheel horn button/center and I haven't heard any complaints. I tore the rubber cover off the afflicted one and its a poor design at best. Just two stamped out plates with one having flexible ribs around the outer edge. I found a couple of those ribs bend inward which was closing the contact gap considerably. My guess is with the weight of the rubber cover and any contraction of it due to cooling or heating would likely make it honk without pressing it.

New horn button is sitting at the dealership but with this Covid they have no delivery driver.... Story of my life!!

Thanks all!!!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  04:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dorman # 924-5123 is an aftermarket one that might be available to you quicker from one of your local parts places. I haven't had the need for one, so I haven't tried one, so I cannot comment on it's quality.
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  06:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Dorman # 924-5123 is an aftermarket one that might be available to you quicker from one of your local parts places. I haven't had the need for one, so I haven't tried one, so I cannot comment on it's quality.

Many thanks for the info above. I am a Dorman fan!! They seem to put out a better part normally.

Just looked the above part up. For that price I could justify keeping a couple on hand...

Thanks again!!!

Edited by - CISDbusman on 10/09/2020 06:55:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2020 :  06:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very welcome. Let us know how the quality compares.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000