Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2010 Maxxforce DT crank no start / no codes set
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bucksgarage

17 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2020 :  04:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit bucksgarage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First I want to say that this forum has a good amount of information, and good people that helped me out in the past, and I hope to assist in the future with any information I can give as well. I took over this school bus fleet in April 2019, and they were all in pretty sad shape, so I have been trying to get things back in order. I have a 2010 Maxxforce DT (EGR) that was sitting out in the parking lot, and I needed to do an annual service on it. I tried to start it after sitting (due to the pandemic) for approximately 2 months, it wanted to fire at first, but fell flat on its face. All it does now is crank, but no fire. It hasn't thrown any codes either. This unit has about 171,000 miles on it. Fuel pressure is 975 - 1350psi, however the delivery fuel pressure won't go over 10psi while cranking. This pump is mounted on the HPOP, not in the filter housing. Oil pressure is around 20psi while cranking as well. The dealer suggested that I try starting fluid, but rule of thumb is an engine equipped with glow plugs or heaters, no starting fluid. I waited for the heater to time out, and tried a little as they suggested, and it wanted to fire again, but still no luck. Even prior to using the starting fluid, the engine sounded like it lost all its compression, kind of like a gasoline engine cranking over without the spark plugs installed. I did a relative compression test, and cylinders #2, #4, #5 were pretty much at zero, while #1 and #6 were about 50% of the graph, and #3 was very strong. I ended up taking the fuel filter housing off due to finding a good amount of sediment in the bottom of the filter bowl, cleaned it out and getting ready to reinstall it. Just an FYI.....I just lost an engine in a sister bus that wiped out the cam, a few injectors, and the oil was loaded with metal shavings. Anyone had this type of issue of the crank no start/no codes, maybe point me in a direction to go in? Any help would be appreciated.

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2020 :  07:07:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
have you checked the intake heater amp draw ? and this one should have the primer pump on the fuel housing i would check and makes sure its firm before trying to start.
Go to Top of Page

bucksgarage

17 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2020 :  07:10:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit bucksgarage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, I didn't check the draw, however the primer is firm and filter housing is full of fuel.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2020 :  07:32:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is the turbo actuator making its full swing at key on , this sometimes does not log a code but usually the engine will start, has to be something that is stuck from sitting can't see any mechanical STB form sitting the lift pump on the HPOP makes approx. 7-12 psi no great pressure

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

671Fan

47 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2020 :  08:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit 671Fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A couple of things to check, do you hear the IDM buzzing the injectors when you first turn on the key? The IDM power supply relay has crapped out on a couple of ours. Another one that we have had cause crank but no start is a failed cam position sensor.
Go to Top of Page

bucksgarage

17 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2020 :  08:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit bucksgarage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
671Fan & Bluenozer,

I hear the injectors when the key is turned on, and I also did an injector test while on the laptop, so they seem to be working in that aspect. The turbo actuator is moving freely with key off, and does its thing when key is turned on. I've replaced quite a few of them on sister buses already for being stuck/worn out in the last year already, this not being one of them.
Go to Top of Page

Dvorak

United States
95 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2020 :  09:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years ago we had a 2012 Maxxforce DT with the same issue. The driver used it for summer school and it ran as good as a Maxx DT does. After sitting for a month, we had a crank-no start issue. Fortunately it was still under warranty. Compression check showed what you're describing. Our engine needed a complete overhaul. Supposively metal shavings from the intake are getting into the cylinders and taking them out. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

bucksgarage

17 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2020 :  11:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit bucksgarage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dvorak,

That's what I'm afraid of as well. I just had a Maxx DT wipe out a few months ago, and I have a feeling the rest of the sister buses will be doing the same thing. A total of (6) were purchased at the same time, so I'm bracing for a huge bill, or (6) new toys to take care of! Thanks for the information!
Go to Top of Page

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2020 :  5:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I donot think low compression because it doesnot happened in one day unless something sudden damage such as engine block crack. Mostly it will show up hard to start or low power first. Try to take IPR to check if there is some broken screen, I guess your high pressure oil not enough to inject fuel.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000