Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 diagnosing fault codes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

texczech

7 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2020 :  09:39:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit texczech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After getting fault codes, where is a good place to get further details about making a proper diagnosis? Have a 2018 bus that is setting 4277, 6255 and 6767 codes? Thanks for any advice!

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2020 :  05:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We need more info make and model of vehicle,eng. make trans type, where were codes from
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2020 :  05:59:31 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
On a wag I ran the codes in cummins quick serv online. 4277 and 6767 have to do with the DEF quality sensor not reporting or reporting erratically, engine possibly derated. The best way to diagnose is to call Cummins and get field service to look at it as it should still be under warranty. Or you need Cummins software to do it yourself, Insite on a laptop with an adapter like Nexiq usb2 or the like will due for starters.
Go to Top of Page

texczech

7 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2020 :  10:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit texczech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The VIN is 4DRBUC8N9JB425703, I am test "driving" a Nexiq pocket HD, this is where I got the codes from Someone also left me a technician 2.0, but I haven't tried that one. I have only read about the pocketfleet diagnostic solutions from pfdiagnose companyu.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2020 :  6:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For your original question; Depending of the size of the fleet I'd lean towards Cummins Insite Pro as far as the best tool for the job. We use a combination of products because of the mixed fleet and the size and the age. The body/chassis/MaxxForce stuff is going to need the OE gear from IC like OnCommand or NED.

Tech II is for GM products unless I'm missing something in the name of your tool. We rarely drag ours of the box. My guys tackle the GM's with their Snap-On gear.

How big's the fleet? Are you going to get any help from the district?
Go to Top of Page

texczech

7 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  06:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit texczech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually I am in a small town, and am a independent repair shop that will try to help/repair the local school with their bus issues. Seems that the Diesel scene has gotten overly technical with the exhaust emission systems.Freon leaks are tough enough, the diesel emission systems seem to have their own odd failures, along with other "normal" issues.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  07:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diesel has really gotten ugly with all the aftertreatment issues.

Are you part of IATN? There's a fleet/HD section that might get you some help while keeping your expenses for diag tools down. There are a fair amount of independent guys like you so they can relate.
Go to Top of Page

texczech

7 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  08:30:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit texczech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been a member forever on iatn. Lots of good information available, never can have too many contacts
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2020 :  07:07:06 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Code readers are handy for quick look see but you will need something more Oem to get the diagnostic info you need.
Please add the chassis make as that is who is responsible for the DEF tank. The tank header assembly contains the gauge, def quality sensor,, and tank/ line heater valve. All of which are OEM. More help will come if we know who made the bus.
Check with the school transportation department to see if they will contact the company they purchased the units from and get you the links and software the school is entitled to from the manufacturer.
Go to Top of Page

texczech

7 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  05:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit texczech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is an IC bus. So you are saying that the IC manufacturer may provide software that covers their buses? That sounds interesting. Have you seen this happen before? Thanks for the help!
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2020 :  08:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When we had Navistar units we were allowed to purchase repair software from them. You may need to get the school corporation whose buses you repair help you ( purchase it in their name or through the school system) contact your local Navistar dealer and talk to parts.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2020 :  01:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a small fleet just get JPRO and get their communicator
Jpro will do everything that is needed to perform repairs and will hook to many oem instead of having many programs

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000