School Bus Mechanic pay
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bedfordone

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2020 :  12:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much do your school districts pay your Mechanics per hour? Are they union and are there step increases etc. per year. Are they required to drive when you are short handed? What is the top of the pay scale? We are having difficulties getting skilled mechanics to apply.

muddywater

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2020 :  06:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Send muddywater a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's a regional thing. Your region is different than my region in many ways. For example; I would say that over 95% of all mechanics on the western slope of Colorado are NOT union. Cost of living, is probably different in your area, as compared to this area. What I would suggest is, do some research on what mechanics are earning in your region, both at school districts and in the other venue's, i.e. stealership, private owned facilities, and general repair shops. Be competitive or a little above that figure with wages and benefits. If there are competent people they will be interested.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2020 :  08:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in Canada so get this, in Alberta 10 years ago I was getting 63.25$(dealer rate) an hour , moved back to Nova Scotia to a dealership for 21.00$ worked there for 10 years left at 32.00$ went to the bus barn(government ran and Union) 26.07$ is my rate now ( I can walk to work and I have top notch benefits) so dropping a vehicle and no travel it works out to the same at the end of the month but the cost of living is what drives the wages up out west ($500,000 out west for a house in a subdivision, here in NS that would buy you a farm with hundreds of acres )

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000