Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Vac & Fill Cooling Systems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SchoolBusYellow

3 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  05:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusYellow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Long time stalker of this forum and this is my 1st time post.

I did search the forum for Vac and Filling cooling systems and the last post I saw was in started in 2017. So I am curious if this was just a fad, or if everyone is doing it (that has a Vac & Fill System) and it's just plain common knowledge and a widely accepted procedure. (which it seemed like was in 2017)

I honestly never heard of Vac & Fill until I was looking for a solution for no heat in the back of 3 sister busses, out of a batch of 13 sister busses, (identical twins)

That's when I started reading about EGR Cooler and other engine issues due to air pockets.

With that said, I'm just looking for the pros and more importantly, the cons of using the system or things to watchout for when I am using it. The School District I work for has Cat C7's, Nav. MF7's and older, Cum. ISB 5.9L's & 6.7L's, and MB MBE900's.

Oh, I guess I should say I purchased one for myself for the job, my Visor is against using it because he thinks its marketing hype and not worth the risk, and that's why I am asking. I showed him the Nav. system so there has to be some truth to it, but can't find any other information published by Nav. proving my point.

Thank You!

Edited by - SchoolBusYellow on 02/17/2020 06:08:41 AM

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  09:52:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SchoolBusYellow

Long time stalker of this forum and this is my 1st time post.

I did search the forum for Vac and Filling cooling systems and the last post I saw was in started in 2017. So I am curious if this was just a fad, or if everyone is doing it (that has a Vac & Fill System) and it's just plain common knowledge and a widely accepted procedure. (which it seemed like was in 2017)

I honestly never heard of Vac & Fill until I was looking for a solution for no heat in the back of 3 sister busses, out of a batch of 13 sister busses, (identical twins)

That's when I started reading about EGR Cooler and other engine issues due to air pockets.

With that said, I'm just looking for the pros and more importantly, the cons of using the system or things to watchout for when I am using it. The School District I work for has Cat C7's, Nav. MF7's and older, Cum. ISB 5.9L's & 6.7L's, and MB MBE900's.

Oh, I guess I should say I purchased one for myself for the job, my Visor is against using it because he thinks its marketing hype and not worth the risk, and that's why I am asking. I showed him the Nav. system so there has to be some truth to it, but can't find any other information published by Nav. proving my point.

Thank You!

We have been using the Vac and Fill for about 3 years now. It seems very reliable and effective. After your complete and run the engine to operation temperature, you don't have to add anymore coolant and you don't have to bleed the heaters. I've only had 2 egr cooler failures in the last 2 years and all of them was due to low coolant and the driver not stopping the bus.

Is is worth it, yes!!! You eliminate any air pockets in the cooler. It doesn't take long to crack a cooler.

Cons, Takes a little longer to fill.

We use Mityvac system from NAPA $200.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  11:34:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i been using vac and fill for about 4 years now and like ron said it works great once u fill it u never have to add it gets all air pockets out i use the snapon svtsrad262a with the adapter for frieghtliner or international i use to use a universal but it always popped off once i got the sanp on one with adapters it made the job so much easier and faster worth the extra money
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusYellow

3 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  4:52:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusYellow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those that responded, Thank You for the info!

I ended up getting the Mac POSITIVE-FIT TRUCK COOLING SYSTEM REFILLER
CSR400 (2nd hand and 1/2 the price of new) https://www.mactools.com/en-us/Battery-and-Radiator/Cooling-System-Testing/CSR400/Positive-Fit-Truck-Cooling-System-Refiller

Edited by - SchoolBusYellow on 02/17/2020 4:57:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2020 :  12:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah thats what the snapon one looks like almost exactly
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2020 :  02:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
open system at top most point , fill till it spills , close up again( like top egr return on C2 tank, IH they have a plug in top hard pipe) leave cap off , start and rev to 1500rpm till it pushes out of tank and done- this is the procedure for field service when the fancy dancy tool can't be used , and it will also work in shop
and with a bus always shut your taps off for you don't drain the chassis lines for the heaters inside even with highway trucks I would pinch off the heater cores line to cab
and I don't use a vac n fill I think its smoke and mirrors , common sense comes free

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2020 :  07:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After reading other posts on the topic I ended up buying the Airlift. Its absolutely fantastic. Saves time, eliminates air pockets in the system, and is way cheaper than the others. To fill I took a length pipe and attached a barb to attach to the hose so I could just drop it into a 55 gal drum of coolant and walk away. I liked it so much I bought one for my brother who works at an auto shop. Works very well on the stubborn cars too.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bailey

3 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2020 :  1:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Bailey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought mine from my bus dealer, I'm still under warranty and was told about the road side fix to get back to shop but was told I have to use the vac. fill system or possibly could void some parts warranty if I didn't. Long story short it has turned an slow tedious sometimes messy process into a cleaner faster job. I also was skeptical at first but I'm glad I got mine.
Go to Top of Page

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2020 :  03:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the cost of a cracked cooler came out of his paycheck I will bet ya he would have bought 1 for the shop...DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW...
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2020 :  05:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we purchased ours from the International dealer about 7 years ago. It works great. I don`t how many EGR coolers it has saved because we still have one now and then. On that subject we have been purchasing the Bullet Proof coolers and have never had to do a repeat.
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  04:55:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have been using them since 2004. I prefer this one. Airlift II Cooling System Filler Kit - UVIEW UV550500. we have them in all our shops.

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000