Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 MVP-ER Turbo Removal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmar896

2 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  10:53:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit jmar896's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A local organization one of my friends is a part of was offered a 2001 Thomas Saf-T-Liner MVP-ER with a blown turbo. The bus has a CAT 3126 engine with a MD3060 transmission. It has air brakes and a Webasto coolant preheater.

The guy that offered it to them had paperwork from a mobile tech that indicated that the oil seals on the turbo were bad, so he parked it and has not used it for 2 years as the quote for repair was about $2k ($1100 for the turbo, $950 for the labor, plus oil, air filter & oil filter but that's a drop in the bucket). In the past I worked on paratransit buses and plow trucks (I am a mechanic that does primarily specialized equipment but I do a bit of everything), so my friend reached out to me to see if I could do the turbo. The bus was right off the highway on my way home, so I stopped by to take a very quick look. It seems like it is in decent shape, rust is not too bad, ect.

I know that the biggest variable to replacing the turbo is getting to it. On this bus the radiator is on that side, looks like it is fairly wedged in there. I didn't have enough time to take a super comprehensive look, so I was wondering if anyone had any idea what needs to come out to get to it, and how long it might take?

Also, if there is anything else I should look for while I am replacing it let me know! Believe it or not the 3126 is a little before my time...

Edited by - jmar896 on 11/03/2019 11:26:20 AM

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  02:35:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know on coaches (prevost, MCI) the rad is on hinges and you open it like a door to access engine
I have never worked on a flat nose, pusher school bus other than that a turbo on it is easy

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  04:10:10 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is the radiator on the road side of that unit? all of our rear engine cats were on the curb side. Unfortunately the radiator has no swing capability. The turbo is fairly easy on that model just inlet and exhaust tubes and oil inlet and returns to unhook, order a new feed hose and turbo inlet fitting and a new face seal for the oil inlet. There is a turbo installation gasket kit 269-0064 that comes in handy, and if you cheat like I do and pull the whole turbo return tube ( provided it is the steel tube with the large block at the bottom) you will need the block to tube mounting o ring as well. I usually order studs and nut for the turbo mounting as well as a new clamp for turbo to exhaust pipe. If the studs look good and don't come out leave them alone just run a thread chaser over them. As for time I'm from the rust belt and who knows, is as close as I can get. Time and material.
Go to Top of Page

jmar896

2 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  4:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit jmar896's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea, the radiator is on the drivers side. I think maybe with the C7 buses they switched it? I did some searching online and it looks like the newer ones are on the passenger side. This one has the metal looking front. I'll post a picture when I am there. I wish the turbo was on that side - its completely empty except for an electrical box.

I looked at that part number and it said "This kit contains the gaskets, seals and hardware to reinstall the turbo(s) and attaching lines. The turbo mounting hardware includes bolts, nuts, studs, washers, and spacers. This kit applies to turbo kit part numbers 317-8751 and up". Sounded like you had to get the studs separately, is that right?

I am from NY, so no lack of rust... I assume I will just get the nuts real hot to free them up. Good to know that the studs are replaceable if they break.

Now, just to hunt down the part number for the turbo and get it ordered! Nice thing is the bus is right by a CAT dealer!

Edited by - jmar896 on 11/04/2019 4:27:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2019 :  04:23:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DANGER! It is possible that the charge air cooler has oil in it, possibly other debris...you must ensure this is not the case.

I got to witness a Cummins C series run away from the turbo passing oil into the CAC. I never want to see that again.
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2019 :  06:32:22 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You may want to check out the hoses and charge air cooler for leaks before jumping on the turbo band wagon. Check air filter element and all hoses and elbows for cracks and clamps for tightness. Leaks in systems will allow oil to pass through the turbo and make it look like seals are out. If oil is coming out of both ends of the charge air cooler you may need a turbo.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000