Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 DT466 temperature to 210
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  10:31:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, most my DT466 operating temperature around 180-195, but one of them recently reach to 210 then back to 190, think about bad thrmosta, but it will back to normal temperature eventually, any ideas? Thanks

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  12:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What year DT466?

If I remember correctly, there are different temps that the fan clutch can kick on. Is this an electric cooling fan? Is the fan clutch new? are you judging temp by dash gauge or computer readings?

If a hot day, running hard and up a hill, it is not uncommon for my DT466e's (1998-2002 vintage,) to approach 210 before the cooling fan clutch kicks in.
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2019 :  12:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Possibly bad thermostat or fan drive, had issues with both in the past. Drain the coolant down a bit remove the top hose and look at the top of the radiator to see if the tubes are blooming.
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2019 :  11:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter2019, It would help us all out if we knew what year bus / engine you are working on. There are several different models of the DT466 each has its own unique issues.

I will assume that you are referring to a DT466EGR motor (04-06). If so the factory Thermostat is a 190 deg thermostat. The FE / RE buses built with the DT466EGR motor run mostly around 190 deg with a good clean radiator. If the Temp goes up to 210 deg the temp gauge will just stop at this point and will not read any hotter till it gets to about 235 then the gauge will shoot up like a rocket. (poor design by IC)

The thermostats in this engine are JUNK! I have replaced more than I can count over the years. If you have a Viscous fan system I have seen them not work due to plugged / restricted radiators, (changed 19 FE radiators out of 19 buses in one year 2005 IC FE buses). This prevents the fan from working correctly. A easy way to tell if you have a cooling issue is to run the engine at 2500 rpm and see what the temp does. The engine should run all day at about 190 deg. If the engine temp rises then the cooling fan should come on around 210 deg. If the gauge goes to 210 deg and then does not cool down then most likely you have poor cooling in the radiator and the fan hub is not engaging the fan due to lack of heat. Check the temp of your radiator at each corner and see if is circulating coolant correctly. If the engine temp does not get to 180-190 deg then you most likely have a thermostat issue.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  6:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi 57fan, Thank you for reply, yes, it's 2006 DT466 with EGR motor, I am not quite understand that how you can find out it's thermostat fault or plugged radiator or cooling fan fault?
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  10:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is clogged radiator- blow it out using shop air. You may get a ton of bugs and junk out. This was a common issue for my late 90's 4700's- especially the ones that had the half-radiator/half CAC set ups.

If this were a fan clutch failing, I don't think it would eventually kick on. These are usually pass/fail kind of things- unless it is electric fan clutch- then you could have a temp sensor going bad.
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2019 :  03:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does this unit have a Horton air clutch driven fan ?

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000