Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2002 International CE ABS light
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmeyer92

19 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  07:50:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit jmeyer92's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone. I have a 2002 International CE with the ABS light on. I can't get any of the my scan programs, WABCO or Bendix for brakes, to connect. I went through and found that one of the wheel speed sensors was way out of wack. I replaced it and ran the bus, light stays on. Talked to International, they said that this is not a module that can be cleared with a magnet. And, that it is an International branded 4 channel ABS system.

Any ideas on how I can check the codes to see what it says? Or, any ideas as to how to clear the codes and see if they stay gone?

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  08:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got the same problem with my 5 international school buses, crazy.....you really better have waco tool software, otherwise you donnot know which ABS sensor cause you light on, you can take four of them out and check them resistant, I believe it is around 1000-1500 OM, if anyone is not in spec, you can replace it, and make sure drive more than 20KM/hours, it will go away if you are right, there are lot of case to keep ABS light on, sensor doesnot work, air cap too large or ton ring gone which you should see lot of steel power around the hole. Finally, even I have software, it shows no fault, and ABS still came back, it looks cannot enable ATC, what's hell....
Go to Top of Page

jmeyer92

19 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  09:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit jmeyer92's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have Wabco, but from what International said, this bus is too old for Wabco to work on it. I tried my Bendix software too, but no luck. I went through the sensors and found that the left front was double the resistance of the other sensors, and someone had done a wire repair on it. So, I replaced it. Bus was used a couple times for trips, but light is still on. I guess the light has been on forever, but the last mechanic didn't take the time to do anything with it because it's a spare.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  10:54:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just had a similar type situation on a 2002 of my own. I couldn't get it to connect to Wabco (a common problem for me,) so I had to send to dealer. They had issues, too.

Their write states "Tried connecting to truck. Would not connect. Used Old software and 1939 connector. Was able to connect."

not sure if that helps. They didn't list what old software they used.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  10:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the ABS codes I have seen are due to the gap. If you can, sneak a rod in there and tap them in against the tone ring and take it for a spin. late 90's gilligs this was the problem 9/10 times. The other thing you can do is rack it and spin the wheels while checking the voltage signal. Wont be very precise but that will tell you if you have a dead speed sensor.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  11:14:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IH should have Bendix brakes unless it is a small truck it would have TRW like the terrastar
if it ont hook up look at power or data link wiring

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

jmeyer92

19 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  12:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit jmeyer92's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of the input everyone. I'll be working on this for a couple days I'm sure. I have inspections coming July 16th. Wasn't worried about this one because they said it was going away. I guess they changed their minds now :/
Go to Top of Page

jmeyer92

19 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  12:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit jmeyer92's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, I did try the Bendix program, which I've never used before. I tried every ECU selection on there and couldn't get connected to it. I'll probably go around, wiggle my sensors, check the wiring again, and take it for a ride and see what happens. International told me that if I couldn't get it to connect that the ECU was most likely bad. I don't think they'll let me put a new one in, as it's old and a spare.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  12:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can't get any diagnostics to connect, it sounds like you have a communication link issue. J1708/1939, twisted pair, yellow and green wires.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  04:02:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found with bendix program always select your communicator before attempting to connect everytime savs alot of not connecting issues

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

WrenchMonkeyCSISD

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2019 :  04:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that it's usually a gap issue between the sensor and the tone ring. I will put a thousandth of an inch feeler gauge in between the tone ring and sensor, snug it up so there is just slight resistance when you pull the gauge out. If it's still not reading after than then it's probably a bad sensor.

Edited by - WrenchMonkeyCSISD on 07/03/2019 04:47:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

jmeyer92

19 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2019 :  09:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit jmeyer92's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the help guys. They decided to send this bus down the road again, so I'm not suppose to spend any more time on it past pulling cameras and radios out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000