Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 ASE School Bus Certs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gearbox

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  4:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Gearbox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Who has school bus certs and does your employer pay for the testing and are you rewarded for having passed the certs.
Deadline to sign up for summer testing is the end of the month.
Thanks for your input

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
800 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  10:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does not req. ASE and won't pay more
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  2:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a mechanic that worked for our company that was ASE certified. When he left we found buses that hadn't had the air filters changed in 100,000 miles. Brake rotors torn up where he didn't change brake pads, and then just threw new pads on with a rotor torn to pieces. Brand new buses with 15,000 miles that didn't have one oil change. Purple and green antifreeze mixed. Dry rotted tires. The moron was even to lazy to buy new washers, he would take a piece of 1/8 inch steel bar, cut it with the chop saw and drill a hole in it to make a washer.

It disgusts me when I see districts requiring ASE certifications. How about just not hiring idiots? I think the people hiring should have to have some sort of certification....
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  05:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like it wouldn't matter what certs. that guy had he would still suck

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  07:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My district does not require it, however will reward you in pay for it. About 8,000 more a year for it. They will not pay for the tested, but for $210 for all it, I'll pay that.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  08:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baptistbusman1

We had a mechanic that worked for our company that was ASE certified. When he left we found buses that hadn't had the air filters changed in 100,000 miles. Brake rotors torn up where he didn't change brake pads, and then just threw new pads on with a rotor torn to pieces. Brand new buses with 15,000 miles that didn't have one oil change. Purple and green antifreeze mixed. Dry rotted tires. The moron was even to lazy to buy new washers, he would take a piece of 1/8 inch steel bar, cut it with the chop saw and drill a hole in it to make a washer.

It disgusts me when I see districts requiring ASE certifications. How about just not hiring idiots? I think the people hiring should have to have some sort of certification....

The county i work for gives bonuses for certs along with higher starting salary i understand with certs you can get idiots from all over but for us its more for our customers and to make our department look good to the agencies we serve in the county and the public image of our dept. I think folks get it backwards thinking certs weed out all the bad mechanics or that theyre even meant to . This goes hand in hand with every trade when you have journeyman or master electricians or hvac i cant imagine all the masters in these fields are awesome in their trade im sure some are down right ignorant as they come but to then say these certifications are pointless i disagree customers feel much better highering a master in a field who also gets the job done correctly .
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  09:24:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked for a district that would pay for you to get your ASE certs but would not bump up your pay. It wasn't required to get them either. We all figured that if they pay for it, might as well get it.
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  11:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No requirements or any pay incentive for me to get certified.
My own observation from other local shops is that those certifications mean nothing when it comes down to their actual ability to do the job. All it means is that they passed a test.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000