School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Looking for info on when you replace air cans ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2019 :  9:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In our last inspection with the state patrol we had 2 buses that wouldn't stop in 50 feet after the park brake is pulled . The test is run the bus up too 15 mph and pull the park brake . Bus must stop within a 50 foot area. The 2 buses probably stopped in a 60 foot are and were placed out of service . The brake shoes and drums were good . So I replaced the air cans and problem solved . The question came up when would I replace the brake cans Normally when they leak . So is there a mileage that you replace air cans ? I also had it suggested to replace them with any brake job . I suggested from time to time run them thru a park brake test from time to time .Appreciate the input .

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  02:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do annual brake inspections and i try to replaced shoes,drums,and complete cans(not piggybacks) every two years , just because if there was an accident and the news reported drums were at 40 thou well all non mechanics types would say " those brakes are wore out, blah,blah" so I've noticed at year three they get close to this measurement ( my part of the fleet are high mileage -rural-) we service our buses every 3000km and oil changes every 12,000km

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

Chathambus

4 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  06:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The procedure for our shop is to utilize a brake meter for brake stops for each service or 45 day safety inspection. Vericom is the manufacturer and is the same unit NYS DOT inspector uses when he inspects our buses. 20mph service brake and a 10mph park brake. When they get weak we know it's time. It measures distance traveled and force. We document the force.
Go to Top of Page

Gearbox

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  3:58:32 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Gearbox's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We have had the same problem on our older Internationals, is this what you are referencing?
Go to Top of Page

Jon the Mekanik

46 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  1:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jon the Mekanik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I look inside for the cage bolt receiver if its off center or 50,000 to 70,000 miles I replace with endura sure pro its sealed so in ND that a must. I used welded clevis and new slacks drums and shoes the drivers glaze the crap out of them and we grease them 2 times a year 150 bus 4 tecs so its a fight to keep the in good working order. I can shave in the mirror of the drum most of the time.

Ps In the winter on ice the drive know right away if there parking brakes are bad. I always do slacks and chambers both sides at the sametime welded clevis. mabey front to if they look rusty at 50,000

Edited by - Jon the Mekanik on 06/25/2019 1:16:15 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000