School Bus Equipment
 Enter Forum: School Bus Equipment
 Emergency Doors that Lock at Speed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TransportQueen

5 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2019 :  06:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit TransportQueen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found an article from Ireland about a safety feature that locks emergency doors when the bus hits a certain speed, then unlocks them when the bus goes below that speed. They implemented this in response to several students who fell or jumped from moving buses, which is a widespread problem in the States too. Have you guys heard of American buses (or any buses) that have a feature like this?

I know FMVSS 217 requires an interlock system, but since it only requires that the bus not START while the doors are locked, I think a feature like this would still comply. I'm just curious if anybody has more information on doors like this, I'd be very interested to see what's out there.

Here's the article for reference:
https://www.independent.ie/life/family/learning/new-doors-wont-open-at-speed-26281983.html

forbushd

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2019 :  3:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is that it wouldn’t fly, since the lock could theoretically jam while the bus is moving, preventing exit when it counts.

Plus, I’m sure a lot of other people are like me and see features like that as “just another thing to fix when it breaks.”

Before I started working here, I drank, smoked, and used foul language for no reason at all. But, thanks to my job, I now have a reason.
Go to Top of Page

TransportQueen

5 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2019 :  07:20:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit TransportQueen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From NHTSA:

"'Nothing in Standard No. 217 prohibits the installation of locking doors [on a school bus] as long as the vehicle cannot be started with the [emergency] door in the locked position.' In other words, the prohibition in S5.2.3.2 focuses exclusively on whether the vehicle can be started when any emergency exit is locked. If the school bus cannot be started when an emergency exit is locked, the bus complies with S5.2.3.2, even if an emergency exit can be locked once the bus is started."

So it definitely would "fly," I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any bus manufacturers who have actually implemented this feature.

Source: https://www.nhtsa.gov/interpretations/2785y
Go to Top of Page

forbushd

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2019 :  3:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Learned something new. Before this, though, I’ve never heard of such a thing.

Before I started working here, I drank, smoked, and used foul language for no reason at all. But, thanks to my job, I now have a reason.
Go to Top of Page

TransportQueen

5 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  06:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit TransportQueen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
JohnBrown, what company is this? Sounds interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  7:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I believe a speed locking device would run afoul of this portion of FMVSS 217:

"The release mechanism shall operate without the use of remote controls or tools, and notwithstanding any failure of the vehicle's power system."

I would take a speed interlock system to be something of a remote control, because there would be some time during which the mechanism wouldn't release.

This is not a widespread problem in North America.
Go to Top of Page

TransportQueen

5 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2019 :  07:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit TransportQueen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thomas Ford, the release mechanism isn't the same thing as a lock. It's the handle or lever that allows the door to open. The lock is what keeps the release mechanism from being activated, and Std. 217 doesn't require the lock to be operated in any specific way once the bus is in motion. In fact, certain designs of rear door vandal locks can be relocked while the bus is in motion, and NHTSA has approved of these in their interpretations. From the NHTSA letter above: "Nothing in S5.2.3.2 requires that any locks on emergency exits be relocked only by means of a key or some special information after the vehicle is started." So locking by means of speed sensor is within the realm of possibility.

Many buses have auto locks on their service doors, so I'm just wondering why they can't do the same for emergency exits, since children falling or jumping out of them actually is a very widespread problem in North America. I've researched the issue extensively and can confirm that it happens more than enough for this to be a valid concern.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000