New problem with bus not starting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2019 :  09:31:04 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure if I am doing right with a new post to an old problem . If I am I am sorry because I am not sure how and where to post . I found I have a bad crank sensor . I could start the bus with starting fluid and bus will run but not turn on the injectors . So when it runs out of starting fluid it dies . Anyway while it is running I had my laptop hooked up . Came back with a 147 code and said crank sensor wasn't working . So I figured that's why it was dying and wouldn't start . The new problem is I tried to remove the sensor . It wouldn't budge . I tried everything well now the sensor broke off at the bell housing . What would be the best way to remove the broken sensor ? I am hopping I don't have to remove the transmission . Any other ideas ? I thought maybe drill it out ?

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2019 :  10:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've drilled a hole in it then installed a screw and used an upholstery pry bar(the one with a "v" in the end) and pried it up and out
Its the top oring that is stuck(like a vss in an eaton) soak it with some skunk piss and it should come out, make sure when you install the new one to take a chisel to mounting area and remove all scale rust or the spacing will be too much and will cause a noise code(been there)

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2019 :  09:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I will try this . I am waiting on a drill extension so I can reach the sensor . Anybody else ? Come on someone else must have run across this ? Thanks Blue nozer
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2019 :  6:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Valleybusman...

You are leaving out some important information. Like maybe the bus Make, Model and Engine. I don't know how anyone can really help if they do not know what you are working on... BE SPECIFIC!

by your description above my guess you are working on an International. Never had a CKP sensor break off at the Bell housing. Since yours is broke I guess you are down to drilling a hole in it then stick in a screw to "Yank" it out. Good luck.

Now to a more disturbing part of your post. Why would you use starter fluid on a new diesel to get it running. If you have a intake grid heater, (International and Cummins all have them) you are running the risk of it igniting the starter fluid which could lead to major engine damage as well as personal injury. Take every can of starter fluid you have and get rid of them. You don't need it!

Once you repair your broken sensor issue You need to get your laptop on the engine and look at what is going on when you are trying to start it. (go to hard start / no start in servicemaxx) Monitor the ICP pressure, Fuel pressure (if you can see it on the computer if not install a mechanical gauge) battery voltage. Basic diagnostics. your engine service manuals are available on "On Command" and they can help you figure it out.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2019 :  9:11:40 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
57 Fan I gave all the info in another question . Also when I try to start the us all the injectors are turned off . When I did get the bus going with ether . A 147 code came up . One guy on here asked if I tried ether . Seemed like a shot . That's how I got this thing to run . I am not a big fan of ether So I disconnected the intake heater . Bus would start right up and then die after it ran out of ether . So my next step is the cam sensor
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2019 :  9:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Also this is a 2004 RE 300 with a DT 466
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000