School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 How can I learn tech details about my bus?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

busser

29 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  1:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Just bought an 05 IC bus with a DT466E engine and an Allison transmission. The first thing I learned: It is extremely difficult to find technical information about my bus. Nothing helpful on Youtube, the Internet, the manufacturer will not help but referred me to dealers. One grudgingly sent me an Operator's manual which is nearly useless. Many of the things don't apply to my bus and many I need are not in the manual. Like, what do the green, red and white air tank drain valves go to and why are they color coded, or what does the MODE switch do on my transmission panel, etc.. In fact neither youtube or the internet or the manual could tell me something as basic as how to read check engine trouble codes.

My first question is, why is it so hard to find information? Bus mechanics must have a way to learn all this stuff so there must be materials out there, like detailed repair manuals. How could I get those?

Also, does anyone know how to read codes? I came armed with my ODBC reader but found no port where it would fit.

Thank you kindly

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  6:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The reason is they donot want you know everything, otherwise how can they keep making money from you if you can fix everything by yourself? For DTC code, you have to have 9 pin connector with special software to get from bus, if you can get the fault codes, I can post here what's the code means for you.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  9:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
2 things you need a reader like a USB link 2 a Older laptop with windows 7 or less and a program from Noregon to read the reader . Also I have found you tube does have certain diagnostic videos . Is your bus a CE or an FE or RE ?
Go to Top of Page

busser

29 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  10:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. It is a CE but I just ordered the Scangauge on Ebay. thank you. still , is there a source for all the manuals? what does a bus mechanic use to learn?

3005 IC bus CE300, DT466e engine, alison transmission, 206k miles
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2019 :  03:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by busser

Hi. It is a CE but I just ordered the Scangauge on Ebay. thank you. still , is there a source for all the manuals? what does a bus mechanic use to learn?

I use on Command from International.

https://www.icbus.com/?cmpid=sem_ICBus_IC_Bus|ic_bus&cmpid=sem_IC%20Bus_IC%20Bus

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2019 :  05:32:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
amazon or ebay and buy a set of factory repair manuals for you model
Ken

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2019 :  08:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
servicemaxx 1708 is a free download from navistar then you just need a communicator (Jpro(Noregen) has the best deal on one and it comes with all the connectors(6-pin, black 9-pin, green 9-pin, OBD2, GMC cat, volvo 14-pin,ETC.)
mode for tranny I think is like eco and performance(or holds RPM a couple seconds longer)
the different colored air drains not likely OEM red and green is primary(brakes) and secondary(suspension, air seat, etc.) air tanks the white not known
change your profile to except emails and I'll see about an engine manual for you

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2019 :  3:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I picked up a manual for our 2010 maxforce dt engines on dvd from ebay for $50.00. Not searchable but for a lot of information easier to use than Navistars website.
Go to Top of Page

busser

29 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2019 :  9:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I searched Ebay and Amazon. Nothing. I typed in 2005 IC bus CE300 repair manual. Even just IC bus does not give usable results. Thank you

Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  02:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have engine manual on a download just change your profile to accept emails and i can email it to you ave both for you IC bus chassis book and 2010 maxforce diagnostics book

Go to Top of Page

busser

29 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2019 :  11:38:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have a DT466E engine. I changed my profile to receive emails. Also, got my Scangauge but I don't know where to plug it in. I spent about 20 min looking everywhere with a flashlight. Thank you

Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  04:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Center of the dash, just to the left of the gear shifter. Up underneath about 12 "

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  08:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can't attach files through profile email so I emailed my email to you and you do the same lol

Edited by - Bluenozer on 05/15/2019 03:20:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

busser

29 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2019 :  10:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

can't attach files through profile email so I emailed my email to you and you do the same lol

Hi. I have not gotten your email address. I would be very appreciative if you could email me any manuals. My email address is contact[ dot} re {at } me {d ot] com Thank you very much

Go to Top of Page

busser

29 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2019 :  9:58:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bluenozer, would you please email me? thank you

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000