Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2005 DT466
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmeyer92

19 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2019 :  04:34:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit jmeyer92's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to the busing world, just started back in November. So, please have a little patience with my being a newby.

I have a 2007 IC with a 2005 DT466 in it (still think it's crazy how long it is between production date and model year). There has been a problem with the bus since the school district that my company got it from, has owned it. It takes at least double the time to start it compared to all of my other buses. On average it takes 14 seconds of cranking before it even tries to fire. Other than that it runs perfectly. I've seen a few threads with people having the same issues with this year of the DT466, but never any true answers as to what is going on. The kicker that we have found with this bus, and it makes absolutely no sense, is the fact that if you feather the pedal it starts right away, just like the other buses.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? With it being fly-by-wire and direct injection, feathering the pedal should have absolutely no effect. Is there something that I'm missing? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2019 :  06:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You would really need a laptop to help you in this. You would need to know ICP pressure while cranking, engine oil pressure, fuel pressure, ect. There are quit a few things to cause this.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

unclefish

113 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2019 :  07:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it have 2 group 31 batteries or 3 . a lot of ours came with 2 and we added the 3rd seems to help and even better in the winter.
Go to Top of Page

jmeyer92

19 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2019 :  11:40:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit jmeyer92's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to the International Dealer, all the pressures checked out as they are suppose to. They also claimed that they couldn't duplicate the issue.

I have 3 batteries in every bus in my fleet.
Go to Top of Page

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2019 :  7:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do a simple test, open your engine oil dipstick cap while bus is idling, do you see lots of white smoke came out from the tube? I guess you will.
Go to Top of Page

jmeyer92

19 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  04:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit jmeyer92's Homepage  Reply with Quote
peter2019

I will check when the bus comes back, it is being used for a route this morning. If I do see the white smoke, what does it mean?
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  07:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cranking speed is pretty important on those

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2019 :  06:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are a lot of causes of extended crank. Low injection pressure, low fuel pressure, weak intake heater, low compression caused by soot packed on the valves.

some of ours are up to 30 seconds. (3 10 second cranks) and that's just how it will be till the day its scrapped.
Go to Top of Page

jmeyer92

19 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2019 :  04:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit jmeyer92's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bfaulkner, that's basically the way it's seeming. I've seen a lot of possible answers, but nothing that anyone has said actually fixes the issue. Most of my drivers that use it know to keep cranking until it goes, but I had one this winter that didn't wait for the grid heater to cycle. He claimed he didn't know that it had one and couldn't see the light.
Go to Top of Page

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2019 :  5:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
jmeyer92, did you do the test as I told you, did you see lot of white smoke? I have one bus same problem as you, let me know your answer.
Go to Top of Page

jmeyer92

19 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  04:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit jmeyer92's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry that I haven't been back on for a bit. It's been a little busy getting ready to wrap up for the school year here, and all the extra trips and such.

peter2019
I did check for the white smoke, and didn't have any that I could notice. Bus runs beautifully after it's running for a couple of minutes, and it has good power. I had two driver's use it and complain that it seemed to hesitate for them. I drove it and did feel any hesitation. I changed the fuel filter again and dumped some ATF in the tank. Had them run it hard for a week. Then I used it myself, and it has good power. Better take off than a few of my newer buses. It's just the weird starting issue that keeps throwing us for a loop.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000