Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  10:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2012 IH School Bus
VIN= CB558666
On a test drive unit will go between 100 feet to 1km before ICP will drop down to 350 to 450 psi log no codes slip it in neutral shut down and restart(while coasting or come to a stop) and ICP will be good for a minute or maybe 5 minutes still no code.
Unit will pass all KOEO and KOER tests no issues
Now for the kicker, when unit first came in I removed valve cover found HPOR feed o-ring leaking bad, so unit has close to 200,000km on it so time for pucks and injectors did this(plus new ICP sensor) ran unit again all test AOk go for road test same condition
Pull the IPR and the tip was missing(plastic piece) thought to myself" HAHAH got you now" , well joke on me same condition
Another tech suggested a HPOP thought to myself "why not" so I R&Red pump pass all tests but still no good on road test
Anyone come across issues like this before , at the stealership We would have log filed it and had engineers look at by now
Any help would be great tow truck coming in the Am to take it to the IH stealership
All components of the high pressure oil system are new except for the manifold itself

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  11:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What motor?

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  11:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry maxxforce dt and oil level does not go up or down and coolant level does not go down or up

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  11:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i ran into a situation where bus broke down and had only 400 psi at icp long story short i wiggled the ipr connector and the pressure came up and would start ended up being a bad ipr connector it would intermittently have 400psi and then all of a sudden back to normal so check the ipr connector
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  02:46:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
new ipr with the new plug end and everything hers what has been replaced
1. HPOR o-ring and six complete pucks
2. six injectors
3. new ICP sensor
4. new HPOP
5. new IPR with updated plug assembly
6. ran all KOEO and KOEO tests no cel set
7. ran all test with valve cover off no leaks(standard puts ICP to 4000psi)
8. will not act up until on road test and ICP just slowly drops down to 400 or so psi and again sets no code . I think it could be a bad ECM but I'm sure they will find it with a break out box

Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  04:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluenozer

new ipr with the new plug end and everything hers what has been replaced
1. HPOR o-ring and six complete pucks
2. six injectors
3. new ICP sensor
4. new HPOP
5. new IPR with updated plug assembly
6. ran all KOEO and KOEO tests no cel set
7. ran all test with valve cover off no leaks(standard puts ICP to 4000psi)
8. will not act up until on road test and ICP just slowly drops down to 400 or so psi and again sets no code . I think it could be a bad ECM but I'm sure they will find it with a break out box

What's your engine oil pressure doing while you are on the road test and this happens?
I have a friend in the next county that has had something similar to this happening and it turned out to be the oil pump was shot. It would idle and run in the bay all day long but as soon as you put it on the road it would loose oil pressure and not provide enough to keep the reservoir full for High pressure oil but not low enough to turn on the low oil pressure warning.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  08:35:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
idle 60 psi and hammer down just a bit over 70 psi, starts right up cold , pull oil temp. sensor and oil is right there in housing

Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  09:33:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had one with similar issues. Someone before me had replaced IPR pigtail and did a terrible job with the butt connectors. Best I can guess, when unit would start to get heat under the hood, wires would be flexible enough to cause a bad connection and unit would start to run poor and drop out.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  10:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluenozer

idle 60 psi and hammer down just a bit over 70 psi, starts right up cold , pull oil temp. sensor and oil is right there in housing

While you are driving down the road?

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  11:15:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
around 70 psi checked my log file its closer to 80 to 85 psi of engine oil pressure before it loses ICP and after

Edited by - Bluenozer on 04/12/2019 04:02:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2019 :  10:48:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stealership it saying it needs a rebuild , they can't give me the gauge reading of the dummy injector for each hole LOL(they have no idea, imagine calling a customer and not having the proof for a rebuild)
I'm thinking it has a cracked head after some research on the side
anyway the manager is looking after it now
How losing ICP while driving came to rebuilding the engine I don't know

Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2019 :  08:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They didn't even take it in the garage, the service adviser went out started it it there was white smoke shut it down and said it needs an engine LOL Stealerships

Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2019 :  11:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently working on the same issue after pulling the oil pump I found the front half of the front cover had a piece missing that holds the o ring in place letting oil dump right back into the oil pan not when idling but under load it will push past what was left of the o ring this is the second one of these I have had
not saying its your issue just what I found on my issue lol

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2019 :  3:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did not see any mention of a Fuel Adaptation Reset. Must be done any time the high pressure oil system has had any work done to it.
We have done 3 engine inframes and 4 camshafts on maxforce DTs all @ between 160k and 220k kilometers.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2019 :  03:33:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jeeptjken , would oil stay up in the front cover after mine messed up(icp low) I pulled the EOT and still oil in cover, I changed the pump and really only checked the gear but never noticed anything in cover
Cal Mc never hear of that test but i will check it out
Thankyou both

Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2019 :  10:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bluenozer it would only supply enough oil to keep the hpop supply cavity filled at idle as soon as you would load it it would die and if you pulled the temp sensor there would be no oil in it this one has made me think way outside the box and work the oil supply from pick up tube forward

Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2019 :  1:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NOT a test! It is a learn mode reset to allow the ECM to compensate for the change in oil consumption/loss in the high pressure system. As the system ages the ECM compensates for the change in high pressure oil use. If you repair a leak, change a sensor, change injectors the learn mode must be reset or it will run like crap.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2019 :  08:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CalMc did that fuel procedure no change still runs good until the ICP drops to 334psi , shut off restart and have all kinds of ICP for a bit then drops off again , never a hard start either

Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2019 :  10:41:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I was thinking can't be cracked head , the crack isn't thinking he turn off ignition time to heal for 5 minutes, only two things i haven't changed valve cover gasket or ecm
still no codes either which is leading me to an ecm

Go to Top of Page

peter2019

125 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2019 :  08:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit peter2019's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bluenozer, if idling bus, then press paddle upto 2000RPM or higher for awhile, ICP still ok or drop? I guess it will drop as same as on road.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  07:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
after it gets up to temperature(coolant about 190) it will do it on the floor and on the road and the engine oil pressure stays at 70psi or so on the road and 50psi or so on the floor
tried a ecm of another bus that is the same year , and it does the same, but this one showed code for intake temp. as soon as you hooked it up (its at our mother shop that has all the dealers right there, i operate from a satellite garage in the sticks

Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2019 :  11:38:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sure hope you have better luck them I have had I just replaced my 3rd front cover all of them cracked or broken at the oil pump outlet and all dt466 this caused low oil pressure and the pump could not supply the high pressure pump cavity under load so far all are 2009 so a tad older then yours

Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2019 :  08:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now the tech at the stealership thinks it's a check valve in the end of the HPOR , my sister garage is changing it this afternoon, funny it went from needs a engine to a check valve LOL
I figure the stealership must of started a file with iKnow and are in contact with my manager(funny how stories change when a manager gets involved)

Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2019 :  08:31:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to unit this morning, not trusting the shop the unit came from I performed a full service to unit, warmed up unit for road test and guess what no ICP issue on that road test, so I went for another still no issue ALL THIS for either bad oil(the other shop says it does a service but it was only done on paper) or a cheap aftermarket oil filter failing internally(couldn't see any thing wrong with filter but I did not cut it open) anyway it does not lose its ICP now , did a cylinder cut out test all cylinders seemed to be even
I will change the crankcase filter and install an OEM DPF on it and see if those items clear up the light smoke from exhaust
Thank you guys for your input with this issue

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000