Another IC bus issue something different
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2019 :  08:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a 2017 CE 300 with Cummins and air ride suspension . I and another driver have noticed something strange and am not sure what happens . There is a freeway on ramp and a bridge in the center of on ramp . The 2 are not even with each other . When the back tires hit the lip of each it makes the loudest bang in the back . I have also noticed it with the way certain potholes are if both back tires hit it sounds like the rear end is being ripped out .Is this a normal thing ? If I need to explain more just ask . Thanks

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  07:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got 9 of them and haven't had this issue. It sounds a lot like what the old MVP-EFs with the Neway air ride did when the bushings were shot at 50,000 miles.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2019 :  4:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Valleybusman,

I had this same issue in my fleet with the speed bumps at the schools, same model year. The driver would go over the bump (even at a relatively low speed) and heard the same loud bang in the rear end.

We found that the rear suspension was bottoming out and the stops were slamming into the frame rails. If you look at the "bumper stops" on the leafs (held by the U Bolts), you'll most likely see where they're hitting the bottom of the frame. The dealer came out and set the ride height adjustment/leveler a bit higher and it solved our problem completely. It only took him a few minutes to do each bus. If I recall correctly, he set it up about 1".

Edited by - Kodie on 03/03/2019 4:12:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  04:22:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thought there, Kodie. Never occurred to me.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  04:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got some MVPs a few years back that did the same thing. Found the bracket holding the ride height setting link to have been mounted improperly, as I recall they flipped the bracket over and it put the ride height in spec.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

671Fan

47 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2019 :  10:24:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit 671Fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good info, we have 2 doing the same thing. Does yours have the single height valve or does it have 2? Ours only have one on the left and the bracket for it also serves as a support for the airbag. Over on the right side no valve, no bracket no support. Look at the area above the airbag from the rear on the right and check out where the crossmember and frame meet. Without the extra support ours are getting really beat up in that area. IH should have put a bracket there to match the other side.
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2019 :  4:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Make sure the leveling valve is adjusted per IC instructions. It is normal for this to happen on a very severe bump or dip. Do not adjust too high as this may cause issues in other areas. IC only performs a very basic and skimpy PDI at the factory, leaving it up to the dealers. They do not give the dealers any guidelines so it may have been overlooked all together.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2019 :  05:30:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've stumbled across the ride height setting procedure someplace. Let me know if you need me to dig it up again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000