Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wwinters

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  05:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As posted in another post Thomas is going to the PSI here is a press release on that buy out and as posted above it is the same motor International offers in their propane bus. the Bluebird has the 6.8 V10 which was built from the heads up to run liquid propane.

Power Solutions International (PSI) agreed to purchase Powertrain Integration LLC, the on-highway power systems manufacturer in Madison Heights, Mich.

The deal is valued at nearly $30 million and is expected to close in about 30 days.

According to a press release, both companies share a long history and strong relationships with General Motors (GM). Powertrain Integration has provided GM on-highway powertrain systems, components and services for niche on-highway OEMs and fleets for more than 10 years. The company specializes in gasoline and alternative fuel systems, including ones for propane autogas.

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  05:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

Thomas has the largest available propane tanks (100 gallon usable) and the most flexibility on chassis sizes that it can be installed in.
We currently have two propane C2s, are looking at bids on a couple more.

Blue Bird has a 100 gallon as well. In fact, they were the only ones to have that large of a tank for quite some time. My neighboring district says Thomas quit making propane buses because of the trouble they were having. Guess they were wrong.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

wwinters

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  06:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have bought Thomas the last few years and have more on order. The did change motor manufactures. I think Thomas was going to try to make a push on the new diesel motor but saw the demand for propane was growing and adjusted.
Go to Top of Page

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  07:35:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see a lot about the new DD5 on the Thomas web site not much about their propane product. I like the Roush/Ford drive train (although we did have a transmission fail recently and have had several fuel pumps fail) but BB warranty issues and service is horrible. We have had many rusting drip rails and paint coming off hoods, bumpers and other areas. Had about 20 of those repaired last summer and still have not been reimbursed. Not to mention all the electrical shorts we have had to deal with.

I would consider buying Thomas propane buses if they had a good offering.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  08:15:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RBrian

I see a lot about the new DD5 on the Thomas web site not much about their propane product. I like the Roush/Ford drive train (although we did have a transmission fail recently and have had several fuel pumps fail) but BB warranty issues and service is horrible. We have had many rusting drip rails and paint coming off hoods, bumpers and other areas. Had about 20 of those repaired last summer and still have not been reimbursed. Not to mention all the electrical shorts we have had to deal with.

Who's your BB dealer, if you don't mind me asking?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

wwinters

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  08:58:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same problem with service, Bluebird has a model that they only have one dealer store in a state from what I understand and that leave a lot of distance to their shop. They did recently get a Ford dealer to help some. The Ford dealer painted our hoods, did some exhaust repairs and transmission repairs.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  09:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

Thomas has the largest available propane tanks (100 gallon usable) and the most flexibility on chassis sizes that it can be installed in.

Blue Bird has a 100 gallon as well. In fact, they were the only ones to have that large of a tank for quite some time. My neighboring district says Thomas quit making propane buses because of the trouble they were having. Guess they were wrong.

According to Bluebird website their largest tank is 93 gallon

From Thomas:
"We are proud to announce the availability of a new LPG fuel tank system for the Saf-T-Liner C2.
This optional tank system will provide a 100 gallon usable capacity. The system sits between splayed rear rails and is available for 281T through 341T C2 models (251T will remain available only with the standard 70 gallon tank system). The use of this system will supply an increased advantage over our competitors who advertise less capacity."
"The tanks have a 16" diameter and are 79" in length with twin manifolds."

I do know this larger tank setup is available on 59 and 65 passenger buses which I don't believe IC or Bluebird can do and is a big deal in Iowa as any bus over 66 passenger or 274" wheelbase must be air brakes

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 01/11/2019 09:53:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  12:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All mine are 71 passenger so I don't know about that part. As for usable gallons, I'd be careful about what the sales department says. I know mine are 126 WC. That means initial fill will be 100.8. So, 7.8 gallons left after the pump ***** vapor might be right. What is the WC on a Thomas?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  06:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by RBrian

Who's your BB dealer, if you don't mind me asking?

Blue Bird bus sales of Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  06:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

According to Bluebird website their largest tank is 93 gallon

From Thomas:
"We are proud to announce the availability of a new LPG fuel tank system for the Saf-T-Liner C2.
This optional tank system will provide a 100 gallon usable capacity. The system sits between splayed rear rails and is available for 281T through 341T C2 models (251T will remain available only with the standard 70 gallon tank system). The use of this system will supply an increased advantage over our competitors who advertise less capacity."
"The tanks have a 16" diameter and are 79" in length with twin manifolds."

I do know this larger tank setup is available on 59 and 65 passenger buses which I don't believe IC or Bluebird can do and is a big deal in Iowa as any bus over 66 passenger or 274" wheelbase must be air brakes

BB large tank is around 110 gallons. 93 usable.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2019 :  2:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've looked, can't find information on the WC of a Thomas propane tank.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  10:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We just received our new BB Vision propane Friday. I looked at the tanks today and it says 128 gallon on the tag. 80% of that would be 102 gallon. Don't know if that is WC or gas capacity.They are supposed to be 100 gallon usable I think.
ED
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  12:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Applying the same online round tank calculator that nails the Thomas standard 12" diameter by 75" propane tank in size to their optional 16" diameter by 79" tank, I come up with roughly 137.5 gallons WC.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

wwinters

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2019 :  1:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The DD5 may be a fine motor but I just cannot get past the 4 cylinder

Configuration . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Inline 4 Cylinder
Displacement . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . 313 cu. in. (5.1 L)
Compression Ratio . . . . . . . . . . . . 17.6:1
Bore . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . 4.33 in. (110 mm)
Stroke . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . 5.3 in. (135 mm)
Weight (Dry) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1188 lb. (539 kg.)
Electronics . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . DDEC®
Service Fill (Oil & Filter Change) . .... 18 qt. (17.5 L)
Horsepower Range . . . . . . . . . . . .. 200-240*
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  05:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Applying the same online round tank calculator that nails the Thomas standard 12" diameter by 75" propane tank in size to their optional 16" diameter by 79" tank, I come up with roughly 137.5 gallons WC.

That's a new one on me. Good to know!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  04:49:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My freightliner dealer shared a maintenance booklet for the 8.8. It says in there that the engine requires Dexos1 motor oil. That is a synthetic oil. Oil changes are at 5K. So there goes any maintenance savings on oil changes unless you are already using synthetic oil.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000