New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  05:31:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2010 CE 200 with the DT that has about 128k on it. Started smoking some and then on cold start it will idle fine (most times) but when you give it a little throttle it dies. After it warms up it's fine. First my local International dealer replaced the tubes on the DPF and a couple sensors (not sure which ones). Then when it was still doing it they got it back and said one of the new sensors were bad. Did that job for nothing. Now, after a few days, it is back to it's old tricks. Had our selling dealer come about 100 miles and check it out. Found a connector that had some corrosion. So, fixed that. Seemed to run out alright and we put it back on the road. No dice. Next cold start, it did the same thing. Seemed to be worse on the smoking. (Told it smoking was bad for it but it didn't seem to care. Something about it's a free country) Anyway, the selling dealer came and picked it up from me and took a few days to get to it. Sent me an estimate of about 5,500 to replace CVR valve, intake throttle body, EGR valve, EGR manifold valve assembly, EGR cold side cooler, EGR Hot side cooler. Anyone else ever have all this garbage go bad at the same time? Are there any other options out there on this? I'm somewhat concerned that this may not be the end of it. Is there anything else in there that will be a problem?

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  06:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you still have the bus there?
I would hook up scanner, bring up every pressure sensor, every temperature sensor and make sure all the pressure are at zero (except BARO), and all temperature sensors should be very close to one another, ambient temperature.
Leave the key on for a few minutes and just watch.
Recently had an ICP sensor was close to 0 KOEO, but slowly creeped up to 500.
My symptoms were not the same as yours, but just the same it is something I always check to find bad sensor that are still within range and don't set codes.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  06:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Seems legit...(JK) not really, but... looks like they think you have plugged and/or leaking EGR coolers so pretty much all of about parts have to be cleaned or replaced, missing a couple sensors, DOC, DPF, Turbo, injector issues, ect,ect...... but seeing it it out of warranty and your paying for it, sounds like your dealer wants to try and cover all bases and hopefully not have a return problem... when they are in warranty they will most times end up touching or replacing same parts, one at a time till they get it fixed or presume they have it fixed per warranty dept....

You say 2010 bus is it the 2007 emission engine or the newer version that has twin turbos? I ask because we have a local here that bought 10 2010's at same time... all have twin turbo maxxforce engines in them ...My 2010's have single turbo 2007 version engines.... My experience has been... similar engines, but some differences in symptoms when things go wrong...

Torque is correct ... Scanner/laptop for yourself is best..... have had to replace a lot of EGR coolers on both versions of those engines for plugging/leaking issues, worst part is over time(could be short time,lol) problems with those coolers seem to cause bigger more expensive issues..

Cost wise for what they are saying you need...sounds about normal at $5500 for parts and their labor...

Edited by - slippert on 04/04/2017 06:41:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  06:52:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But, but...Navistar said it was going to be super awesome...you must be wrong! http://psndealer.com/dealersite/images/tricotruck/myths.pdf
Go to Top of Page

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  08:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just repaired my 2009 dt466. Similar issues. Ended up replacing the hot and cold egr coolers. I cleaned the egr valve. Did not replace anything else. The crankcase breather is critical on these. I listen to it everytime I'm near it when it shuts down to make sure it's working. With that kind of mileage I would also have the doc and dpf baked and cleaned at this time. Those coolers are pricey. Up in Canada here it was 3500 just for both coolers and gaskets.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  09:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so about 600 was for core value so we're talking 4,900. I don't have the unit here at this time. I'm going to trust that the dealer has this right. I believe in these people, so if the super says go I'm going to do what they are prescribing here. This is a single turbo unit. Thomasbus24, good reading there! lol Good and reliable. You all know my ultimate answer to all of this, don't you? lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  10:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

You all know my ultimate answer to all of this, don't you? lol

Yeah yeah yeah, the new Detroit...we know. Haha
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  11:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
waiting on cummins to reliese the next gen so I can replace our 2011 dt 466 was told by the rep it will be soon

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  1:36:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

quote:
Originally posted by bwest

You all know my ultimate answer to all of this, don't you? lol

Yeah yeah yeah, the new Detroit...we know. Haha

Keep your day job, brother!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  10:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep sounds about right to me we these egr coolers go bad all the time usually the hot side will leaks causing smoking and also causes the cold side to plug up , so when this happens we normally replaced both coolers and egr valve assy fairly common .
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  05:25:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by td83

Yep sounds about right to me we these egr coolers go bad all the time usually the hot side will leaks causing smoking and also causes the cold side to plug up , so when this happens we normally replaced both coolers and egr valve assy fairly common .

That's what they told me happened. MidWest in Swansea is working on it and Joe was nice enough to tell me that I need to use a "fill and vac". Guess I wasn't aware of this tool. He said if you have a coolant system empty or even low (I am assuming low enough where you don't have any in the visible reservoir) then you should use this tool. I assume I'm the only person on here that hasn't used one of these. In case I'm not, I found this video that explains it pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WCRcuCZI50

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  07:12:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That tool is awesome! I bought it after hearing others on here recommending it.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  09:41:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just ordered mine a few weeks ago and used it once already.I got the Mity Vac MV4535. Definitely a different way of doing things. It works!!

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  10:53:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
True on the vac fill tools are a must with these egr coolers you can cause more than normal repeat failures by just filling the systems regularly as a air pocket will cause hot spots in the coolers causing them to fail .
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  06:11:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by td83

True on the vac fill tools are a must with these egr coolers you can cause more than normal repeat failures by just filling the systems regularly as a air pocket will cause hot spots in the coolers causing them to fail .

Gone are the days that the heater core is the only thing in the system that doesn't cool the engine. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

TRENDZ

1 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2021 :  12:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit TRENDZ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, a real quick way of diagnosis of cooler leaks is to look at the egr weep hole. If you see coolant there, you have issues. It doesn’t always show up there though. Pulling and inspecting/ cleaning the egr is an even more sound way of diagnosis without much cost. The pain has always been getting the egr valve out of the housing. This puller is a cheap, simple, effective and quick.
https://youtu.be/JnXIx1Tv18I
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000