Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 fustrated in P town
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robzilla

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  2:00:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit robzilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am working on a 96 model international bus . My problem is the starter wont stop turning..I replaced the solenoid on the starter and on the firewall.. also I replaced the bendix on the starter.. It still wont stop turning unless I undo the neg battery cable.. If I neded too I could start the bus then take off the neg cable to stop the starter and put the cable back on , and all is good until I need to start it again..I also unplugged the key switch still the same problem...what am i missing?

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  4:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have a vandall lock entry system make sure the dead bolt for the back door is fully unlocked in the open position and the ground on the deadbolt switch is clean and tight. If thats not the case I would check the available voltage at the starter terminals while cranking.
Go to Top of Page

robzilla

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  05:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit robzilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no vandall lock on this bus.
wierd thing is it was working just fine then one day my bus driver cranked it and after it started the starter just kpt going So i had to run over and take off the neg bat cable, no small feat i mind you, with out tools... so when I got the bus back i yanked the starter and put a new bendix on it cause it was no good after all that , and i replaced the solenoid and the solenoid on the firewall... I will check the voltage on the terminals.. thanks
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  8:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Robzilla,
You must have a constant voltage supply to the small terminal on the solenoid. This should only be hot when the key is turned to the start position. You say you replaced the solenoid on the firewall? I didn't think they still used the small solenoid on the firewall for the starter, could be wrong. You may have replaced a solenoid that did not have anything to do with the starting circuit.
This confuses me. Did you replace the solenoid on the starter? Most starter that I am aware of only use the solenoid on the starter now days. There is a large copper disc inside the starter that can stick in the closed position causing the starter to spin. These solenoids on the starter can be replaced for about $75.00.
Brad

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  10:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robzilla,

Brad is right, the starter relay is no longer mounted on the firewall. You may have a stuck Over Crank Protection relay. The OCP relay is located on the main wire harness about half way down the edge of the doghouse cut-out on the LH side. This device doubles as the crank relay. I've not seen any units w/o them, but the wiring diagrams don't show it as a requirement.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  08:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what he's working with because I don't have any IH's, but could he have a drive assembly and/or a shift-lever hanging in the "starting" position that's keeping the disc against the contacts? I've had this happen on LN M Series starters.

Or, could the the drive hang on a IH ring gear and not retract thus keeping the disc and contacts together?

Edited by - Mechan1c on 09/24/2004 09:07:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

robzilla

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  10:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit robzilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"You say you replaced the solenoid on the firewall? I didn't think they still used the small solenoid on the firewall for the starter, could be wrong. You may have replaced a solenoid that did not have anything to do with the starting circuit."

OK I do know enough to know that this solenoid on the firewall DOES have something to do with the starting circuit..LOL
I am not offended, too much...

I know it does because I can jump it from here to start the bus.

I decided to pull the starter again, and I put a brand new starter back in..Now it works fine...I will be looking into the starter i pulled to see if I can figure out what the hey...

I do understand that from 97 and up they dont use the solenoid on the firewall, I could be wrong..
I did appreciate all the info I got it did lead me to stop trying to fix the stater I had and start a fresh..

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  8:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Navistar still used a firewall mounted solenoid in 1996.
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  11:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you got it resolved. I did not mean to be offensive. Forgive me if I did offend you.
Brad

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

robzilla

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  1:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit robzilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brad, no offence here , I was just having a bad week with my buses, I am sorry for any bad attitude...I am very glad for your help! with out you guys I would jump over a cliff somedays....

Rob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000