New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  11:13:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody have comments about the Cat C7?. Thinking the next new one we get will have it. Want it at 230hp.

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  05:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We get better support and training with Cummins and love the ISC product. No more CAT engines for me. Sorry.
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  3:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got 4 of them. The biggest problem we've been seeing with them is that 3 of the buses act sluggish when accelerating off of a start. It's not as bad when the buses warm up, but still noticeable.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdDriver
Advanced Member

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  7:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBirdDriver's Homepage  Send BlueBirdDriver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm driving an 05' All American FE with the C7 and I notice mine is pretty sluggish sometimes when accelerating. I thought it would have a bit more power to it. Also, the steam that comes out of my bus is a bit much. I was told that it was the crankcase vent hose and that it should do that. People are constantly telling me something is wrong with my bus. It's very embarrasing sitting at a traffic light and people are pointing all of the time.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  07:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 100 CAT class-D pushers from '87 3208T's to new C7's. Our engines have been the most consistant, cost-effective, and reliable part of our fleet. Unlike Wagonmaster, our CAT dealership has taken good care of us. Our NC Machinery product support rep deserves a ton of the credit.

BBD: As far as the hose from the crankcase, do you have any other buses to compare with? Maybe it is venting more than normal. We got our first 3116T retrofit back from Peterbuilt Western with the Donaldson DOC and Spiricle crankcase filter system, and no more crankcase vent hose! Not to mention the air quality is like being behind a C7. Only 11 more to go...
Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdDriver
Advanced Member

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  07:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBirdDriver's Homepage  Send BlueBirdDriver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mine is the only C7 that we have right now. The other CAT engines we have don't have this problem.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  08:04:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We too have evolved from the 3208 (which I loved) to the 3126 and now the C7. No complaints thus far. Our 3126s range from 30,000-120,000 miles today. We have one C7 with 14,000...not sluggish.

Cat dealer has been really good to us when we have had issues.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  08:09:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlueBirdDriver

Mine is the only C7 that we have right now. The other CAT engines we have don't have this problem.

You aren't putting in a lot of antifreeze are you? More common with old DT466's, but I suppose coolant could find it's way to the oil on a Cat.

Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  08:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for reminding me, Jason... all 4 of our C7 buses have the steaming problem too. Drivers think there's something wrong with their buses, and even students think there's something wrong.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  12:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me what the recall for the C7 is? I have gotten no notice from Caterpiller, but I know that our neighbor schools are all taking theirs to Ohio Cat to have work done, and our Thomas dealer is coming down one day next week to perform a Cat recall. Something to do with the injectors.

Anyone?
Go to Top of Page

Craig Thoricht

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  03:35:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cat is bringing some C7's in to replace a check valve in the high pressure oil line at the HEUI pump. We have 10 3126/c7 engines and only one was called out on their product improvement letter.
It's interesting reading the comments about the various engines. I guess that it all boils down to dealer support. In my neck of the woods here in northern Ohio if garages want their buses to run they are buying Caterpillar. I don't believe I would let anything else come on the lot.

Craig Thoricht
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  11:28:34 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The reason for the sluggishness at start is the engines have been derated to meet emissions requirements. I buy have been buying 275 hp 800 ft lb torque engines up till this year. This year the highest hp we can get in a forward engine is 260 with a 600 ft lb torque rating. Big difference. They do perform fairly well out on the road but are much slower climbing hills.
I to have noticed high crankcase ventilation under the engine as well as my drivers. We rerouted the hose back behind the engine to keep the steaming away from the cab area.
Brad

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  12:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Intresting, Thanks folks!

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2004 :  12:55:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing your knowledge on these engines!
Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdDriver
Advanced Member

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2004 :  08:00:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBirdDriver's Homepage  Send BlueBirdDriver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'll mention rerouting the vent hose to my mechanic.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2004 :  10:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are starting to see a lot of these, and no probems noted yet.

I would say they are more serviceable than the 3116/3126, and definately run stronger for similar power ratings.

With the servicing issues on newer Navistars products, CAT seems to have the best midrange products right now by far.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000