New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  1:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering if Blue Bird has been selling their SBCV model... the Blue Bird on International 3300 chassis.

I was told that the cost of these buses is through the roof since International is tacking on a large fee, to make more money.

One comment was you could buy 12 IC CEs for the price of 10 Blue Bird SBCVs!

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  7:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe Blue Bird is going to follow Thomas on the International chassis. The Blue Bird/3800 for our specs was 61K while the IC-CE and Thomas FS-65 were both within the 57K range this year. The new 3300 chassis automatically went up 4% for air brake models and 5% for hydraulic brake models. The BB/3800 was the most expensive conventional unit and the most outdated in my opinion.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

C24U
Advanced Member

United States
220 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  08:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Better watch it Thomas86_a! You're not supposed to say things like that about International. Someone will likely blast you for having an opinion. Here's the result from a recent bid I had. I wasn't low bid, actually it was the Vision. But the Vision was bid at $55,107 and the Blue Bird/3300 combo was priced at $69,765.38. And don't anyone start saying that I'm exaggerating. I already said I wasn't low bid so I have no stake in this one. Hey, Blue Bird kicked my butt. But man what a difference in price! The total price for just the 3300 chassis with options was $50,985.38! Add $4,200 and get the whole thing in a vision!
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  08:44:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$69,765.38?! GOOD LORD!

Blue Bird might be better off by dumping International!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  8:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Blue Bird dumps IHC, we sure as hell better go back to Thomas Buses or go transit. It will be a cold day in you know where when I see an IC rolling in our lot! Although the new CE is a sharp - looking bus, i still dont care to much for an IC product.
Greg Hovan
Go to Top of Page

thomas91
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  3:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have the current prices for the Blue Bird/3300?
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  5:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder why International would sell a chassis to a competing school bus maker at all? The only thing I can think of is that maybe there are anti-trust issues involved? Or maybe International sells chassis to others and to deny Blue Bird could be seen as discriminatory...

I guess the next best thing is to price 'em so high that the competitor can't compete!

PS: Hey, what the heck is the plural for chassis....chassi? Or is like deer...same word, whether singular or plural?
Go to Top of Page

Isellbuses
Top Member

Canada
828 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  11:14:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would international not sell to a competing school bus maker if that school bus maker wanted their chassis? I think the question should be, why would Blue Bird want to let its distributors continue to sell a competing chassis to the Vision? It could be the Vision orders are not enough to meet the levels of production they need. However, I think the Vision is out selling the 3300 Blue Bird by 3 to 1. It will be a matter of time, short, to see the end of Blue Bird and International chassis.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  11:31:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Blue Bird International combo is already dead, I've heard that it is nearly impossible to get a chassis ordered from International/IC. Since the chassis is built in IC Corp's plant, they have to put their buses first, so basically they cannot guarantee that you'll get one.

Personally, I think it would be wise to continue to offer the Blue Bird International bus, as it gives those who love the International chassis another option, instead of buying an IC CE. Many love the chassis, but dislike the IC body, so Blue Bird would be a good alternative, albeit the price.

Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  10:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Solano

I think the Blue Bird International combo is already dead, I've heard that it is nearly impossible to get a chassis ordered from International/IC. Since the chassis is built in IC Corp's plant, they have to put their buses first, so basically they cannot guarantee that you'll get one.

Personally, I think it would be wise to continue to offer the Blue Bird International bus, as it gives those who love the International chassis another option, instead of buying an IC CE. Many love the chassis, but dislike the IC body, so Blue Bird would be a good alternative, albeit the price.

At this point if your a purchaser who is devoted to the International Mark, it would be wize to just go with the IC CE and not waste yours or your tax payer money b/c nothing on the Blue Bird body is worth that much more in the end price tag, its outragoues. Secondly, on the other hand, by now Blue Bird should have been able to market its Vision properly to absorb all of their Type C sales capacity, if not, then either they need to rethink their marketing strategy, or they need to get out of the chassis business and pair up with a truck manufacturer period.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  06:21:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jared

Secondly, on the other hand, by now Blue Bird should have been able to market its Vision properly to absorb all of their Type C sales capacity, if not, then either they need to rethink their marketing strategy, or they need to get out of the chassis business and pair up with a truck manufacturer period.

I've often thought about this, and really can't figure it out. The Vision is mostly a modified chassis from the Blue Bird All American, and that's supposed to be a good chassis. If that doesn't help in sales, perhaps the front end is just too outrageous for purchasers?

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

School Bus M8
Top Member

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2005 :  6:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit School Bus M8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jared

[quote]
Secondly, on the other hand, by now Blue Bird should have been able to market its Vision properly to absorb all of their Type C sales capacity, if not, then either they need to rethink their marketing strategy, or they need to get out of the chassis business and pair up with a truck manufacturer period.

AGREED! Bluebird needs to really look into a new chassis for its conventional. I am one who thinks that the Vision chassis is too outrageous and out of place. By the way I was told that "Project Victory" has nothing to do with a new type of bus but more with sort of recoordinating the plants. I could be wrong about this though it's just what I heard.

The new IC-CE's are really driver friendly though. Although bluebird has a great chassis I can't understand why anyone would pay more for an Int/BB what with the modifacations done to the Ce.
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  5:21:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
By the way I was told that "Project Victory" has nothing to do with a new type of bus but more with sort of recoordinating the plants. I could be wrong about this though it's just what I heard.

I was under the impression that "Project Victory" had to do with restructuring Blue Bird's plants. But, not too long ago, I think I heard it had to do with building a low-bid (base spec) type of bus. Perhaps I am confused on the idea of what Project Victory really is. Does anyone know what Project Victory is all about?
Go to Top of Page

wolfman01

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  8:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasfan89

If Blue Bird dumps IHC, we sure as hell better go back to Thomas Buses or go transit. It will be a cold day in you know where when I see an IC rolling in our lot! Although the new CE is a sharp - looking bus, i still dont care to much for an IC product.
Greg Hovan

I am curious as to what is wrong with the IC bodied busses?

Proud owner of "ol Smokey", a 1982 Thomas Transitliner ER, bus #40 retired from Texas A&M University. Its currently in the process of being converted for it's second life as an R.V.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  1:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am curious as to what is wrong with the IC bodied busses?

Well that post I made is well over a year old. At that time, I did not like the IC product. Personal preference. However opinions change with time. Thomas Built is still the best buses out in my opinion. They are my favrotie manufacturer, point blank. I don't mind the IC CE at all. It is a sharp looking bus, and seems to be decently built. However, the IC transit line is among the bottom of the barrel right now IN MY OPINION! Thomas offers a supreme product in the HDX. While the EF is lacking in the design area, it is still a well built and durable bus. Blue Bird transits are right up there with Thomas. The All American is wonderful transit. IC's offerings leave much room for improvement, in my opinion. Take it as you want. While I feel IC offers a very nice conventional bus in the CE, the C2 is the better bus. Take this as you want. I am sure this post will upset some people. My only response: deal with it, it's my opinion, it doesnt have to be yours.
Greg
Go to Top of Page

wolfman01

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  4:30:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not going to flame your opinion. The closest I've been to an IC bus is the A/C installation shop that I pass on my way to and from work, so was genuinely curious as to what issues they may have had. When I was looking at buses to purchase one, I chose Thomas for the high roof option, and for that solidity. Ol' Smokey has 440,000 miles on it's chassis, and it didn't have a single rattle or squeak. That seems to be right up there with the old Crowns, IMO. The steerings a bit loose, but that'll be corrected with a bit of front end work.

Proud owner of "ol Smokey", a 1982 Thomas Transitliner ER, bus #40 retired from Texas A&M University. Its currently in the process of being converted for it's second life as an R.V.

Edited by - wolfman01 on 09/16/2005 4:31:26 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000