School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Management/Operations
 Enter Forum: Management/Operations
 Transporting instruments and other large objects.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Busmatt

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  05:09:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for references regarding the transportation of large objects ie; large band instruments.

I am clear on how it interferes with compartmentalization and I have found MANY local school district policies against it.

I need hard policies ie; NHTSA, NASDAPTS, NAPT, etc... Anything that supports all our local policies against it.

I have done websearches, however, maybe I am wording it poorly because I can't find support for saying "no".

Thanks !

Busmatt

Busmatt

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  2:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mlkdrives41

Try ptsi.org. They might have access to that information for you. I know I have seen it somewhere but I think it is in our state regs which wouldn't help you unless you are from NY

I would take out of state references if it sounds good.
NY is a leader in Transportation safety and I would take the reference.

Thanks!!

Busmatt
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  5:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I dont think it matters. I had a rule "no large instruments", the mom called the principal and they OKAYED it last year. What do you do? At least in my case there is nothing I can do. They bring their drums, I feel like saying why don't you bring your computer, your refrigerator, your stove, you know the whole 9 yards. But of course I dont. These instruments delay the bus also, they are very heavy but I just deal with it. I'm not telling anyone they aren't aloud just so I can be made to look like a fool when the school admin. approves it. What would happen in an accident? Scary thought. What if the drums landed on the door somehow blocking the exit?
Go to Top of Page

mr.dave
Advanced Member

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  7:32:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the band travels, or a class plans a picknic on a field trip, large and bulky objects need to travel in a support vehicle. Bands already have such for the pit insturments, and suzaphones. Any insturment that can not be held on the student's lap should go in the pit trailer.

This however is not what you asked. Sorry about that. Try sending a memo up the latter asking about the districts exposure to negligence lawsuits due to drivers not following policy on transporting large, heavy, bulky, and unsafe cargo on schoolbuses transporting children. Ask for advice on how to eliminate district and driver exposure to lawsuits.

Once the memo is recieved administation can not claim they were unaware of the problem, and will have to provide the information you seek, or be personaly responsible for any accident.

salom dave

Shiny side up, greasy side down
Go to Top of Page

macondriver
Top Member

USA
533 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  10:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Send macondriver an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ARE KIDS ARE ALLOWED TO BRING SKATEBOARDS ON THE BUS.....

Driving my way to the top, in a big yellow bus...and proud of it.
Go to Top of Page

mr.dave
Advanced Member

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  11:18:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I allow skateboards, but question what they do with them at school. If the school does not wish students having toys I let them enforce it. I do insist they hold it on their laps and no riding skateboards on the bus at any time. Now what do you do when two students come to the bus with a large caged rabbit between them, and explain that Mr. Crachitt is letting one of them care for Harvey over Christmas break?

Bah humbug Mr. Dave Scrooge

Shiny side up, greasy side down
Go to Top of Page

littlebit
Advanced Member

431 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  1:18:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr.dave

Now what do you do when two students come to the bus with a large caged rabbit between them, and explain that Mr. Crachitt is letting one of them care for Harvey over Christmas break?

Bah humbug Mr. Dave Scrooge

Well Mr. Rabbit would have two options...A spending his Christmas break at school fending for himself or B. have one of the children call for a ride. Animals on the bus are NO NOs here. If it is an animal that the student has in plain view of the driver. I did have a little girl that kept her little white mouse hidden until she was getting off the bus. I told her that I would be watching her and that I better never see that critter again!

Bus 34
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  5:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
State law in Michigan states that that there may be no glass containers or animals on the bus (don't know how the two are related and go into the same section of the law). I'm sure that our drivers would enforce this seeing that it is a State Law, however I dont' know if there's exceptions for seeing eye dogs in training. I've seen a lot of those dogs running around the school with students, so I don't know what the deal is there!

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

oscarwhy

1 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  7:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If my kid were denied the right to transport a band instrument, I'd OWN the school before it was said and done. I mean lots of kids are going for scholarships. Denying that is like saying you can't take a math or science book.
Go to Top of Page

littlebit
Advanced Member

431 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  10:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That large band instrument could very well injure or even kill a child if the bus crashes. Are you as a parent willing for that to happen just so your child can play in a band? OH wait it wouldn't be on the parent just the driver that allowed a large heavy unsecured item on a school bus.

I didn't really answer the question in my first post, but I know large instruments aren't allowed on our buses because of the hazards that they pose
to not only the other students but also to the owner. When a child tries to board one of our buses with large band inst. they are allowed the first time, but then are told that it is never to happen again and they the parents must make other arrangements for that child and instrument to get to school.
It is not our job to make sure that your child is able to attend college on a scholarship, just our job to make sure that ALL children get to school safely and if that means no transporting ;arge objects then so be it.

Bus 34
Go to Top of Page

BusPro

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  04:00:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a major political issue. Cargo on the bus is a major hot topic, even to the point of causing a major controversy in the State Legislature when legislation to prevent blocking of aisles was opposed by Superintendents of Schools.

This seems so intuitive as a major liability issue it is unbelievable it would receive opposition. I applaud Larry Riggsbee for daring to broach the topic in October's issue of School Bus Fleet. Hopefully, it will be the start of opening some eyes on this potentially dangerous scenario, the mixing of cargo and students. "Please secure your carry-on items in the overhead compartments!"
Go to Top of Page

Busrepair

121 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  12:58:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To answer the original question -- I am not sure where you would find policies. But, you can send a letter to the superintendent or your supervisor listing the problem and your recommendations. Make sure it is responded to in writting. Then if you are told to transport such items you are not legally responsible.
To oscarwhy -- your response is exactly what is wrong in todays society. I would suppose if it is your child that burns in a fire because this large instrument trapped him/her in a seat you would own the school then also?
Go to Top of Page

Carpenter
Advanced Member

238 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2003 :  07:00:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Carpenter an AOL message  Send Carpenter an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
On route, I don't allow anything, period. On field trips, I allow large objects only in the back, in a seat, and secured to the seat frams by bungee cables.

Our district's policy clearly prohibits anything ever, regardless of securement. Tell a coach waiting to go to a varsity tournament with half a dozen icechests that he can't bring them and see what happens. I got some bungees to accomodate.

"Rules" are often bent for these picky clients. Anyone hear me on this?

UNLAWFUL TO PASS WHEN RED LIGHTS FLASH
Go to Top of Page

Evy

6 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2003 :  9:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a very hard topic and there is no easy answer. I choose to leave this decision in the hands of each individual driver who makes their decision based on some policy but mostly based on the many variables that are involved.

Some of the variables that would impact a decision would be load levels, type of vehicle, age of students, storage space, ECT.

The fact of the matter is that some items can be safely transported on one bus but not another due to the different variables involved. My suggestion would be to have a basic policy excluding some common items and have some sort of criteria for your drivers to base their decision on.

Remember safety first and if there is any doubt say no.
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  08:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If all buses have underneath storage the problem is resolved. The reality is that only a small portion of the nation's school buses are so equipped. What to do in a bus without underneath storage?

Years ago I thought of a cargo securement system consisting of high-strength clip-on removable webbing to safely secure large objects. It would stretch from ceiling to floor and take up one 39" seating position. The location would be critical as it could not block emergency exits. It must be strong enough to withstand a rollover accident without releasing its contents, some of which, like sports equipment, can be quite heavy.

I even checked with cargo webbing manufacturers and tie-down companies, but never went further with the idea.

Seems to me someone could successfully design, test, certify and market such a system. A smaller version could be developed for the driver's personal items - so it could be placed in an unused area of the bus. The concept could also be used in other transportation venues to make the sales volume sufficient to make a profit.

I offer the idea to any entrepreneur willing to go further that I did. The beneficiaries will be the kids who will ride in an even safer school bus.
Go to Top of Page

robert33tn

1 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2019 :  2:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit robert33tn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
is there not a federal DOT rules on this matter
Go to Top of Page

Brook Peacock

116 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2021 :  03:14:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brook Peacock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice thread!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000